Carrying hiking

C0untZer0

I don't know anything about this - I know there are hikers/campers on this forum.

If you are allowed to OC in your state and in the park where you are hiking (I don't even know if Federal Park law might trump state carry law) but anyway - does anyone ever just carry a carbine or rifle on a sling when they're hiking. If not I wonder why not. It would seem the best way to carry and deploy a weapon if needed - as opposed to carrying a handun in holster.

I don't know the laws that govern this, that's why I'm asking.

Are there different laws for carry when hiking - like you can carry a handgun OC but carbines/rifles/shotguns are not allowed?

I just think for myself it would be easier to carry a carbine slung than carry a pistol in a holster.

Carrying them in a backpack seems to defeat the purpose.

When I hike in parks around Atlanta I usually carry a .380 in my pocket. I’m not too likely to run into any four legged predators bigger than a canine (dog, coyote, fox). Also, I feel the .380 is sufficient for any two legged predators I might come across.

I haven’t really decided what I might carry in the more untamed areas of the North Georgia Mountains. Also, I need to do a little more research to determine exactly what is allowed in various areas (State Park, National Park, National Forest, Wildlife Management Area). Obviously having one set of requirements would make way too much sense for the Guberment.

In Arkansas that is a problematic situation. Game laws prohibit firearms except during hunting season and it has to match the game in season. e.g. you can't take a 30-06 during squirrel season. When I hike or ATV during a proper season I'll wear my Ruger Single Six .22 with mag in it.
Can't help for folks who have a concealed carry permit, just don't know. Guessing it should be OK.

You cant carry in federal "parks". In PA, you "normally" cant carry in state parks, although some allowances are made for hunting.

We've hiked and camped, and pretty much everywhere, most of our lives. We always just carried a concealed handgun, and did our best not to do something stupid at the wrong moment, and have never had any troubles. A handgun out of sight never causes alarm, open carrying or carrying long guns may, especially in areas where they are not permitted, or youre likely to encounter people who are no used to seeing them.

If you feel the need to have the gun, do what it takes to have the gun. If thats a problem, then dont.

The National Forest and Parks in NH allow you to carry firearms in accordance with State law. They also allow hunting.

I always OC while hiking and I go hiking once every 2 or 3 weeks.
I carry a 3" Ruger SP101 in a homemade leather pancake holster.

I wouldn't recommend slinging a long gun while hiking unless in a place like Alaska, etc where there is a decent chance you may encounter large aggressive animals. Especially on marked trails. You WILL feel the weight, and it will often make other hikers nervous.

I was out about 6 months ago on a fairly populated trail and I crossed the path of 2 gentleman. Both were in BDU pants, one had a glock in a thy holster and an AK slung across his back over his camelbak. The other had some very large 8" revolver in a shoulder holster. This kind of behavior only makes gun owners look like extremists. I just rolled my eyes and kept walking. Trail ninjas.

Often times I will pack my P22 with 200 rounds in addition to my .357.
The extra 2 lbs of weight is worth it for the BUG if something were to go wrong with the revolver, and also a gun that would fair much better for small game hunting in a survival situation.

You can usualy search the regs of the particular state regarding possession of firearms in their parks. National parks and preserves also have different regs. The laws changed in 2009 allowing them in national parks, but check your particular park to make sure. Some parks only permit guns on licensed "hunters". There are species in my state open year round. In that case I would wear orange and carry my hunting license which is alo my fishing license so it goes everywhere I go anyway.

If you just want to carry a weapon, the rifle on a sling is made to be carried. If you plan to use one when needed you might want to use a sidearm and holster concealed or not. You can also use a tactical pack that allows quick deployment and doubles as a day pack. I have a few Maxpeditions that conveniently conceal any of my pistols with easy access. A heavy duty rack pack would rule out that kind of approach. At that point a chest rig or belt holster would work better or even a pocket holster. It really depends on what you plan on doing with the firearm.

When I'm hiking in nearby national forests, I carry a 4" .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk loaded with hard cast bullets. I also carry a large canister of bear spray. I worry less about two legged predators than large, hairy, carnivorous four legged predators, particularly during autumn.

Fish

My P239 9mm works fine for when I'm flyfishing out in the river. Conceals well under waders.

It would be my carry gun if I were a hiker.

I carry a rifle when hiking and scouting for game before the season opens due to the illegal aliens, and also to take targets of opportunity that are in season.

As far as a handgun I will have one or three on my person hiking/scouting or not hiking. My actions are legal where I am, but they may not be where you are. Learn your laws and follow them. If you don't agree with your laws, follow them, but work to get them changed.

Biker

In Alaska, open carry is allowed and is okay in all State parks. Federal parks I can't vouch for. But I often carry a Marlin 336 across the back if I am going to be using my hands a lot, making sidearm use less optimal. Also depends on the expected threat, 2-legged or 4-. Big bears take stout medicine.

I realize from people's posts that there are so many "hiking" situations.

I was thinking more of remote areas, and my logic is - if I have to haul a firearm and I'm not limited to a handgun, I'd sling a carbine.

When something happens it usually happens so quickly and I think it's easier to bring a rifle / carbine to firing position from a sling than to draw a handgun from a holster.

You can carry a concealed handgun and in some cases open carry in the national parks (buildings excluded) as log as you're in compliance with that state's carry laws. Typically this only applies to handguns as open long-gun carry would be illegal in most cases since hunting is not allowed in the national parks.

You have to check with your state on state park laws and national forest laws in your state, which defer back to the state. Here in Colorado, you can carry and shoot in the national forests (can't shoot in the parks, but you can carry) as long as you follow certain guidelines. Every state is different.

Also realize that almost any carbine round whether .357, .44Mag, 45LC or .30-30 will hit harder and develop more velocity from a 18" carbine barrel than from a 4-6" handgun barrel. That may temper your decision in favor of the carbine, with a same-round handgun as a back-up.

I just think for myself it would be easier to carry a carbine slung than carry a pistol in a holster.

Check out the Bianchi UM84I Universal Military Holster. You can buy a thumb-snap to replace the flap it comes with. It mounts very well to a backpack's belt and you can conceal it with a shirt. Fits most autos.

In some places if you have a long gun, you are considered to be hunting. If it isn't hunting season, then you are poaching the king's deer. The whole thing is problematic. Firearms were originally banned from Shenandoah Park for exactly that reason: people were hunting illegally in the park.

All of the issues we have today concerning hunting, animals killing livestock, trespassing, and whatnot were issues 80 years ago. Nothing's ever really been settled except where either all the game is gone or all the people are gone.

Aliens don't really enter into the picture except where their spaceships cause grass fires.

Carrying a long gun instead of a pistol when you're not hunting or have reason to expect major trouble (such as combat) ?

This makes no sense to me. Outside of hunting season it would alarm most anyone I'd meet and is certainly far less convenient than the small gun secured inside a small pouch on my pack waistbelt.

I've carried a titanium .357 while hiking for many years now. I mostly expect I'd need it for arriving back at the car and finding thieves messing with my car.

Call your park ranger to verify the laws, and within those laws what they recommend. It is also a good idea if you are hiking in an area where you might need a long gun for bears, bobcats, or other potentially dangerous animals - to check in with the ranger station to let them know where you are going to be hiking/duration, if you plan on camping, etc. Also check back in with them on the way out.

If you are going to be carrying while hiking, find out what you might be carrying for. Wolves/coyotes, etc. you can get by with a handgun no problem. Go into bear country and you want a long gun, if you carry a handgun in territory like that most rangers will scoff at anything less than a 44. I would also look into a large can of bear spray, will work on more than just bears obviously but in a stressful situation it can be more effective than the 1-3 shots you might get off against a charging animal due to having a continuous spray that you can sweep them with. I would also suggest wearing some sort of bell (cow bell type), can be found at some outdoors stores if you aren't familiar with them. Purpose being to make noise while you are hiking so you don't end up sneaking up on an animal and startling it, possibly resulting in an attack. Most animals, even large, don't attack just because they feel like it but you have either startled them, treaded upon their den and they are defending it, or possibly you have come between a mother and her babies accidentally. Makes noise when you hike, and most animals will get far away from you before you even have a chance to see them.

Carrying a long gun instead of a pistol when you're not hunting or have reason to expect major trouble (such as combat) ?

Certain animals can attack you for what appears to be no reason just as easily as a druggy looking to rob you. You don't carry expecting trouble, you carry in case trouble comes and finds you.

Any time I leave the house, I have some type of firearm with me. When I go into rural areas(and I do a lot), I usually have several.
Handgun concealed is the best bet, if legal for you,since out of sight=out of mind.

I often carry a rifle and a handgun in the country.

Back