Carrying extra mags

I get tired of having so much stuff on my belt that it pulls down too much, so I stick with one mag and a lightweight, scabbard-style holster. Trying to balance weight is not a concern. Keeping my pants up is. :o

Since my last post in this topic, I have amassed a lot of range time practicing with other guns with higher ammo capacity. After a lot of soul searching and several thousand rounds of ammo sent downrange, I am back to my old standard, the 1911. I would never ever consider carrying any other way than condition one, 8 in the mag and one in the tube. My dual mag carrier gives me another 16 rounds. And I made the decision that on those days/nights when I attend a venue that could be a "target of opportunity" for the BG's, I will take two dual mag carriers with me. If I can't complete the job with all of that, than I figure I should have had a small army with me.

I bounced this off a buddy of mine that is a detective in one of the worst crime areas of South Florida. He carries a 1911 with a dual mag carrier, a small Colt .357 mag wheel gun inside his waistband, and a .380 pocket Mustang in his pant pocket. Oh, and he has a speed strip and an extra .380 magazine in his other pocket.

So then I thought, let me ask my son what he carries as he is a deputy sheriff. He packs a Glock .40 as a duty weapon with two spare magazines on his person. Extra mags in his cruiser. He also has a small Glock .40 under his vest. Apparently the larger Glock magazine will fit into the smaller one (but not flush).
He also carries a pocket gun in his rear back pocket and to top it off, a Glock 17 between the front seat and the center console.

So I guess the conclusion drawn here has to be whatever makes you happy.

I bounced this off a buddy of mine that is a detective in one of the worst crime areas of South Florida. He carries a 1911 with a dual mag carrier, a small Colt .357 mag wheel gun inside his waistband, and a .380 pocket Mustang in his pant pocket. Oh, and he has a speed strip and an extra .380 magazine in his other pocket.

My neck of the woods! What part?

My neck of the woods! What part?

3 guns plus 3 mags and a speed strip! The real question is how does he keep his pants from falling down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Attachment 101049

Here is my setup with where and how I have my spare 20 round magazine.
That holster position looks scary.

Standard Appendix IWB. It's gaining a lot of popularity amongst the high-end trainers. Not for the novice gun handeler, but for someone that has put in the time to educate his trigger finger during the draw and reholster, there are some serious benefits to CCW

Standard Appendix IWB. It's gaining a lot of popularity amongst the high-end trainers. Not for the novice gun handeler, but for someone that has put in the time to educate his trigger finger during the draw and reholster, there are some serious benefits to CCW

Bingo. I've trained with it there and practice very often.

Riviera Beach

And I often wondered how he keeps his pants up, also.

That's about an hour from me. I'm in South Miami... That's weird. I didn't know of anywhere close to me that still has the 1911. They've all gone to Glock in 9mm or .40 or Smith and Wesson M&Ps.

Haha. If he has a good belt, it'll keep his pants up.

Constantine I have had guys tell me all of the standard warnings about carrying this way. Yes, I too value my genitals and understand the femoral artery is important. I also understand my gun does not fire unless I cause it to. I have tried other positions and the appendix position works better for me than any of the others.

Back