Carrying extra mags

I only carry full size Glocks with one extra mag in a horizontal pouch.

Safariland 123.

image37170.jpg

I carry a S&W 469 in a horizontal shoulder holster so I basically have to carry 2 extra magazines or I have tendency to list to port if I don't.

469T3K.jpg

The thread is about equipment specifics and not about the viable of handgun vs. rifle or tactics in a shooting. We are doing that in other threads.

So, I've deleted a restart of that, with no offense. Let's stick to the gadgets and gear.

I have always felt it prudent to carry extra mags. With my XDS, Springfield thoughtfully provided me with a two mag belt holder. Works just fine.

Heavy Metal said:
I have a hard enough time keeping my pants up with one gun let alone extra mags. How are you holding your drawers

Ever heard of a belt? ;) With my wallet, keys, knife, and phone, it already weighs me down a bit. When I add my gun and spare mags, it would drop my pants down to my ankles in a heartbeat. Even if you wear tight pants, you risk popping a button and having your pants drop. I've gotten used to wearing a belts so it's no big deal.

After I specifically warned to stay on the OP's topic and not discuss the gun fight issue, some people decided to continue with their opinion about San Bernadino, you only need a few rounds and other irrelevant posts.

These have been deleted and infractions issued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Metal
I have a hard enough time keeping my pants up with one gun let alone extra mags. How are you holding your drawers
Ever heard of a belt? With my wallet, keys, knife, and phone, it already weighs me down a bit. When I add my gun and spare mags, it would drop my pants down to my ankles in a heartbeat. Even if you wear tight pants, you risk popping a button and having your pants drop. I've gotten used to wearing a belts so it's no big deal.

Its a common mistake, and one that is not talked about. If one is CHLing,one needs a good a true pistol belt. These are stiff belts, often double hide (Beltmen) or having kydex inserts (CompTac and I think Crossbreed for example). They distribute the weight, prevent leaning of the belt etc. I'd highly advise you check one at and note further there are a variety of styles including business/business casual types. There are several manufacturers and a check of the search function for threads on that should be helpful.

To the topic directly, I have an M&Pc with a full size M&P spare mag. It helps balance the weight and the sightline (I'm Hawaiian shirt mafia most of the time in Texas). Like another poster, I've taken my IDPA rig to heart with a CompTac mag thats the same except for increased tension.

However, when I carried 1911, Toolman made a tool holster that was perfect. one could wear it OC with others not seeing it was holding a mag, if desired.

Hope this helps.

The perfect solution, for daily carry of heavy stuff.

Good suspenders (Brits say braces) good belt. Wilderness Store frequent flier 1.5" Instructor belt.

Carries Glock 19 4th gen, spare 17 round magazine a good flashlight, lock blade knife. Cell phone, Blue Ant ear piece.

I recall a picture ad in a gun magazine years ago that seemed to depict a holder for five 1911 mags for CCW...

Realistically, though, unless you have a single stack gun like a 1911, I can't imagine anything more than maybe a single spare mag being at all pragmatic.

After wearing a 20 lb gun belt for 3 decades I wear a Galco Shoulder rig whenever possible. That carries 2 extra mags with no weight on my hips/belt.

I almost always carry an SR9c inside the waistband (10+1), appendix carry strong side. I occasionally carry an extra 17 rnd magazine in a Remora IWB mag holder weak side. When I pocket carry my LCP, I pocket carry a spare mag in the same type holder. It works well for me.

I carry a S&W J frame on my left hip and a Ruger LCP in my left rear pocket, with a spare mag for LCP, and speed strip for the J frame in the watch pocket of my wranglers, which is on the right side.

And that's with a good pistol belt, and Perry suspenders to hold it all up.:)

Now I actually wear the suspenders even when I'm not carrying any weapons.

I guess it's an old guy thing! lol

Now I actually wear the suspenders even when I'm not carrying any weapons.
I guess it's an old guy thing! lol

LOL, not necessarily and old guy thing, I have been wearing suspenders for over 20 years now.

Keep those mags full and stay safe.
Jim

I can't imagine anything more than maybe a single spare mag being at all pragmatic.

I carry 3, one in the gun and two on the belt. A lot lighter than carrying a rifle around. (LOL)

Nanuk.

The great thing about a under off arm carry of a fighting pistol.

If you have a duty as an extra hand in some form of protection detail, wearing a jacket, standing with your arms folded, you can have a full grip of your pistol. And not standing out at all.

Same thing sitting in a vehicle.

HistoryJunky said:
I am looking into carrying my 2 spare magazines for my CCW pistol. I am not necessarily looking into this because I think I will need them.

Right now, my primary carry gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 full size. The weight doesn't really bother me, just having the extra weight on one side. I was thinking of getting a dual magazine holder and putting it on the other side of my belt.

Does anyone do this, and if so does it help offset that weight on one side feeling?
Absolutely. The odds of my actually needing to reload my gun in the middle of a gunfight is exceptionally small. The odds of my wanting my pants to be comfortable is exceptionally high. :D

I didn't, now I do

;)I didn't carry an extra mag. Then I realized two things. Well made Autos don't have a high rate of failure, it is usually the mag. The improbability of me needing an extra mag is akin to the probability of me needing a CCW. So if I do one, I should probably do the other. It gives me coverage for a mag failure, and extra rounds, god forbid.

I now carry an extra mag weak side in a horizontal mag pouch. You can't even tell it is on your belt.

http://www.shtfgear.com/products/horizontal-magazine-carrier?variant=2440370179

Back