Carrying a Sig P938 cocked and safety OFF?

So with the Sig if the hammer gets snagged and falls forward by accident (without pulling the trigger) would it go bang if safety is off?
Or does it have safeties in place to prevent that, and the only way for it to fire is if the trigger is pulled & Safety off?

I know many people carry a Glock with a 3.5 lb trigger pull which besides the hammer getting stuck seems more dangerous?

Personally I like simple point and shoot. Glocks, revolvers. But the Sig is a quality gun and I like Sig. I just am trying to decide if I can get used to a whole “new system”. I also like hammer fired guns. IMO more reliable. Plus second strike capability is a big plus, IMO. I assume this Sig has it?
As one time when I put my Ruger LCR & Glock 26 through “4+ years of no maintenance/etc” just sat locked up in the trunk? The only issue was a light strike (2) which both went off on second try.

OP if you like the idea of hammer fired and a simple manual of arms, get a da/sa or a dao sig. Or cz or beretta. Carrying a sao with safety off is ill advised. Don't believe me? Go find any, I mean any, firearms instructor with a credible reputation and he will tell you the same thing.

The hammer snagging or drop firing is not the issue. I can think of no way the hammer snag would cause it to fall. Even if it did, there is a firing pin block. It's the trigger that.is the problem. There is a difference in break and length of pull between a glock trigger and a SA trigger, even if they are the same weight pull. I personally believe Glock triggers tuned to sub 4 lbs are not suitable for carry, but they're a far cry better than a 4.5 lb crisp SA trigger.

Last edited:
My wife has a Sig 938 and it's SA only. No second strike capability. Much lighter trigger than my three Glock 19's with a 3.5 connector. It is absolutely not safe to carry a Sig 938 cocked and not have the safety on.

So with the Sig if the hammer gets snagged and falls forward by accident (without pulling the trigger) would it go bang if safety is off?
Or does it have safeties in place to prevent that, and the only way for it to fire is if the trigger is pulled & Safety off?

I know many people carry a Glock with a 3.5 lb trigger pull which besides the hammer getting stuck seems more dangerous?

Personally I like simple point and shoot. Glocks, revolvers. But the Sig is a quality gun and I like Sig. I just am trying to decide if I can get used to a whole “new system”. I also like hammer fired guns. IMO more reliable. Plus second strike capability is a big plus, IMO. I assume this Sig has it?
As one time when I put my Ruger LCR & Glock 26 through “4+ years of no maintenance/etc” just sat locked up in the trunk? The only issue was a light strike (2) which both went off on second try.

Hammer snag - That is not something I have ever heard of happening to a Sig.
Sig 938 has a firing pin block. Just google that.
The saying "Glock Leg" comes to mind.
Single Action Only pistols require you to cock the hammer again for second strike. Double Action pistols allow you to pull the trigger to cock and release the hammer a second time.

I don't want to start a discussion on how to carry a semi-auto handgun, but I carry mine in the following manner (known as the condition of the firearm):
Magazine Loaded and fully seated in firearm.
Chamber empty.
Safety Off.

That way I don't have to remember, is this my Browning High Power, or my CZ 75, or maybe my 1911-22 Browning, or the S&W 659, or the Walther PPK/S...

Some have safeties that go up, some that go down, some are single action only and some are double action.

Carrying guns with the chamber empty might make you feel safe, but it can get you killed if you need the gun.
Carry the same gun, learn it like your tongue knows your teeth, learn to shoot it.

Back