Carry "Lesser" Gun Due to Potential LE Confiscation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm,
I wonder if these same folks choose the bargain heart pacemaker if they need one.

There are no bargain basement pacemakers...I have one of these. Cost was never part of the discussion.

But I get your point - if your life depends on it, you don't want to buy the product strictly on price.

Honestly, I think it's a non-issue created mostly by too much internet chatter.

I concur totally. I always wonder why it is of so much concern as to what other people buy/own/use.

It's a good reason to carry a Glock or a Keltec. Both are inexpensive and work very well.

I have to disagree with this completely. While they may function fine, you need to carry a gun that you can shoot really well, that feels natural in your hand, and that you feel confident in using. For me - that's not going to be either a Glock or Keltec - or for that matter, an HK P30. The P30 is the best pistol I have ever held in my hand for sheer ergonomics and feel - but, I cannot get used to the action of the light LEM trigger. So I have put that pistol up for sale.

I would think if it goes all the way towards confiscation, and then a trial, you'd eventually be able to reclaim it after the red tape when you win a defense case. If you lose, you won't need to replace it anytime soon.

I was just thinking the same thing! Haha.

Regarding the concern of a nice handgun having a higher likelihood of getting confiscated... I have actually had several older gentlemen mention this to me. A few of which are ex LEO's from rural areas in the South. Maybe they have seen some shady things go down back in the day (1950's-1970's?) perhaps sculpting this opinion.

Back then could Leo's take over a confiscated firearm as their duty carry after a certain period of time? Can they now?

Well, if you can't shoot it, it goes without saying not to carry it. I can.

Exactly, which is why your post touting a pistol as being good for carry use specifically because the pistol is inexpensive makes no sense.

Real gun fights....

In a gun-fight, you don't have the gun you want but the gun you have. :D

The "don't carry a nice or expensive gun" advice ranks up there with the "don't shoot expert" or "you don't need to clean your guns all the time"

You don't need a $2000.00 "race-gun" a "bling-bling" special but I would not avoid using a SIG or HK or a Walther because I might have a lethal force event. :rolleyes:

About 6 years ago, I worked briefly in a armed, prisoner extradition service.
At a remote state prison at around 330am we pulled up to a corrections post where we stored our sidearms in a plastic bucket, :eek: that was hoisted up to a guard in a tower. Now if I had a HK P2000 or a nickeled 1911a1 .45acp or a stainless S&W N frame I wouldn't be very happy.

I won't carry an inferior gun cause they may take it. No.

But, since Glocks are one of the top combat pistols and I shoot them well, I pack a Glock.

Unlike my prized Colts and Smiths, if it goes to the evidence room, no big deal.

But pack an inferior gun? No.

Deaf

I would carry a $1000 gun at times, but if I know I'm going to be doing work or something that's going to be abusive to it I will carry something less expensive, but still reliable

most fancy engraved collector guns are not bought for carrying, they are bought for occasional shooting and bragging/showing off et cetera.

I have an Seecamp 380 which costs almost twice what I can get Glock anything for; I still carry it.

Honestly, in over thirty years of carrying handguns this reasoning never even occurred to me, nor have I ever heard it mentioned before now.

All I can think is, Who in their right mind would consider that price point or scarcity is an issue at all when discussing a tool that may one day save the lives of you or your family?

I like my carry guns very much but would drop any of them down a well without hesitation to save my Son's life.

The question makes sense for that special gun that would be hard to replace, and the owner has an emotional attachment for.
Obviously that one should not be the carry gun.
It would be better not to have any "feeling" for a duty or carry gun, but rather consider it a tool, and nothing else.
If there's a concern over the loss, pick another one instead.
There's hardly a shortage of suitable choices out there.
The last thing one would want on their mind, in the midst of a deadly encounter, is what happens to the gun.

I carry the best semi auto I own that has proven its reliability and shooting ability to me, by me and has nothing to do with the internet or gun magazine opinion and price be danged.
Me I also carry a Glock 26 with a number of mods.
By a long shot it’s not the most expensive gun I own.
What happens to the gun after a confrontation matters little to me? I can reproduce the gun, cloning so far is still out of the question plus I don’t know if I want another of me around.
If the gun does get confiscated, I hope a good police officer gets it.

Carry "Lesser" GunDue to Potential LEConfiscation...

I read and hear more people of late saying that they carry a gun that is not perhaps their most capable piece but a Less Expensive firearm instead...

This can be looked at two ways depending what is meant by "lesser".
Lesser quality, reliability, accuracy, by no means. However, many choices are available in reasonably priced handguns from verious makers. Do I fear confiscation of my LCP, KAHR CM9, Springer XD40 Subcompact, or Ruger LCR enough to not carry them? No. Would I spend $1000+ for a "statis symbol" CCW gun? No way when the $300-$500 guns I mentioned are 100% reliable, accurate, and I shoot them well.

There are evil places in the world. Some of the readers here live in them. They are not only places where bad people hurt other people, but where governments and law enforcement institutions do NOT protect the rights and property of others (in some ways, similar to some third world countries). That is sad. I live in Ohio, a state where you are 99% likely to get your weapon back if cleared of a self defense shooting (I'm allowing for that occasional, unexplainable miscarriage of justice:rolleyes:). If I should have to shoot to protect life and limb, my actions will be reviewed, and my weapon taken as evidence until the game is over. After that, if no crime has been committed by me in the event, I'm entitled to have my weapon returned. As mentioned before, a Glock is a no-brainer. I do not get to attached to them, as they mostly all look alike (although mine are OD green, also:)). Some view guns as tools, some view them as works of art I often view them as both, but it is hard to tell Glocks of a given model apart if they are otherwise unaltered, and a replacement gun will be used until my original is returned. I often carry something blued, walnut stocked, or decorated in some other way, and it WOULD bother me that "the state" is caretaking it until the end of a legal proceeding. BUT, that is the risk I take on any given day. If I worry too much, I'll pack a gun that CAN be replaced, if only temporarily. For those in more highly restricted jurisdictions where they might have to "sacrifice" their weapon to powers that DON'T respect their property, then they should take that into consideration.

Good gawd, whatever happen to common sense? :mad:

Carry a lesser gun because a person is afraid to get it held as evidence? I certainly hope the term "lesser" is being used in the aesthetic sense of the word, then sure. Don't carry that hand engraved 1911 or the SKS bring-back that grandpa gave you.

If "lesser" means carry a cheap gun like a Davis, Jennings, Rohm, then may you be a winner of the Darwin Awards. :rolleyes:

I've got some nice guns and my position is this...If I want to carry one I will. I bought them to enjoy and I certainly can't take em with me.

Reality check. Very hyper guys in blue will show up and point firearms at you. You will be ordered to drop your firearm on the pavement. You will be proned out and handcuffed. Some LEO who watches allot of tv will probably kick your gun away from you and it will skim across the pavement until it grinds to a halt. At some point you will be questioned and or asked to give a statement. You may have to appear before a grand jury in a week or even a month. Your firearm will be confiscated and not cared for at all. If you're lucky you used deadly force against the worst criminal one can imagine and you could get your gun back in six to eight months. If you're unlucky you just shot the Mayor's heroin addict son who looks like an altar boy on paper but is just as bad as the previously mentioned criminal. In the later case you should get your firearm back in three years or so. In either case no one will oil or wipe down your firearm. It will probably be kept in a basement evidence room in the worst conditions. With all this in mind just remember that you had to shoot to save your life, you wouldn't want a cheaper firearm no matter what happens after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back