Carry Gun Paradigm Shift

Thanks Doc.

My Glocks are all Gen 3 Glocks to.

Just found today a good friend of mine had a Glock 19 for IDPA. His sights were made by Trijicon. The front sight, while tritium, was also orange! Glows real good in the dark and the orange is easy to pick up in the daylight.

Only catch was, $200! Yea that was alot.

May I also recommend AACK .22 lr. units for the Glock? Mine is for the Glock 26. Works perfect with Remington Golden bullets and CCI mini-mags.

And if you want to fast draw (or as they say 'presentation') practice alot, get a all metal Glock 19, like they use to make holsters, and at home you can do alot of gun handling without any possibility of an accidental discharge.

And one more thing for practice. LaserLyte!

http://www.laserlyte.com/

But do put a sandbag behind the targets just in chase a real bullet somehow gets in the gun!

Deaf

good info, thanks

I practice using the ATP airsoft pistol that I use in my beginner's safety classes.

weighs about the same, too

3006.jpg

Doc, I'm not sure if you posted about it in another thread, but what didn't you like about the XDs trigger after you got it back?

excellent question

guess I was one of the unlucky ones

came back with an 8lb 10oz trigger

After dry firing and polishing it only came down to 7lbs, 12oz.

It was spongy, and the stacking was inconsistent.

To make matters worse, it didn't break until it was almost touching the rear of the trigger guard.

Final straw was my gunsmith's verdict that the spring design, not the spring tension, made it "unfixable", to use a blunt object word.

I was really disappointed since I liked carrying it and liked shooting it even more. :(

I'm of the opinion that no carry firearm should be selected before the user shoots it with speed at realistic defensive distances, or 1 handed.

What with all the news (and lack thereof) about the "Knockout Game" my carry paradigm has shifted upwards. My general deep-concealment piece has gone from a Kel-Tec PF-9 to a Walther PPS in .40, to a Springfield XDS .45ACP. Surprisingly, the Springfield proved easier to shoot than the Walther, and much easier than the long-trigger-pull PF9.

For serious social occasions, I had been carrying a Taurus PT-145, but have now purchased a Sar K-2 -- 14 rds of .45 ACP in a conventional double-action with 4.7" barrel. Will be picking it up next week, and have already purchased a Viridian X-5 laser/light combo for it.

Nowadays I also carry high-cap 9mms with extra mags in both my vehicles.

The time we live in. :rolleyes:

"I'm of the opinion that no carry firearm should be selected before the user shoots it with speed at realistic defensive distances, or 1 handed. "

That's some good advice.

I've owned three other Glocks before this G19.

Today, rapid fire in 4-6 shot strings at 30 feet.

With practice this is going to work just fine. :)

4d806534-610b-4d5f-af2f-1ceca8229f1f_zps921c879a.jpg

And it will Doc.

That group was at 10 yards.

While it's good enough we all know under combat conditions the group will be larger.

So keep practicing. I do!

Deaf

Plan to be at the range again tomorrow.

It sure was nice to be able to shoot rapidly and get back on target quickly with the powder puff 9mm compared to my .45.

It seemed more like a .22 WMR.

Also, the thick Glock grip fits my hand like it was a custom design.

Just feels right.

General Thoughts on the subject

A solid hit with a bigger caliber is better than a solid hit with a smaller caliber. If you can't get your head around that, don't bother reading the rest.

I am amazed with the number of people who have decided before the fact: A. They will panic when confronted with danger, and B. They will miss a lot if they have to shoot. (My plans include neither.)

One must carry a sidearm useful to the carrier. This must be decided by the person in question. But anything carried must be 'useful' (carryable, shootable, controlable and so forth) or it is merely an amulet of some sort.

One responds to danger as one has trained; this includes self-training. If one has no sort of training at all, one will do exactly that. Nothing.

In the entire history of gunfighting, there has never been a time when one of the shooters wished he had a smaller gun that held fewer rounds of less powerful ammo.

Yes. Every time one of them kills or seriously injures an innocent bystander.

I can't carry in my state but if I could, I would carry the Five-seveN because it's reliable and has 20 shots. (and the cartridges are much more powerful than 22 LR)

A solid hit with a bigger caliber is better than a solid hit with a smaller caliber. If you can't get your head around that, don't bother reading the rest.

True but a solid hit with a smaller caliber is better than a peripheral hit with a bigger one.

I am amazed with the number of people who have decided before the fact: A. They will panic when confronted with danger, and B. They will miss a lot if they have to shoot. (My plans include neither.)

How did you find out they had decided that? Did they vote on it?

One must carry a sidearm useful to the carrier. This must be decided by the person in question. But anything carried must be 'useful' (carryable, shootable, controlable and so forth) or it is merely an amulet of some sort.

I'd hope so.

One responds to danger as one has trained; this includes self-training. If one has no sort of training at all, one will do exactly that. Nothing.

Actually fight or flight is the inborn reaction. If no training they may very well just run away if they think they can.

In the entire history of gunfighting, there has never been a time when one of the shooters wished he had a smaller gun that held fewer rounds of less powerful ammo.

And in that same 'history of gunfighting' no doubt there are those who ran out of ammo and wished they had lighter ammo so they could carry more and not run out.

And also in that 'history of gunfighting' there are MANY cases of people wishing they had a lighter gun to carry day after day after day. For a heavy gun is apt to be left at home.

Deaf

(from Archie):

True but a solid hit with a smaller caliber is better than a peripheral hit with a bigger one.

But that's not the point he made: "A solid hit with a bigger caliber is better than a solid hit with a smaller caliber..." Hard to argue with that.

(from Japle):

Yes. Every time one of them kills or seriously injures an innocent bystander.

Again, I don't think anyone can reasonably argue with this opinion from Japle. In the course of my thirty year le career, I've had the responsibility to interview more than a few gunfight survivors and I have yet to talk with anyone who thought that having less bullets on board would have been a good idea. And there's no validity to the myth that, just because you carry more ammunition than the next guy makes you any more predisposed to expend those extra bullets in a reckless manner. Good training and much practice obviates any predilection to "spray and pray".

But that's not the point he made:

But it's the point I made.

A solid hit with a smaller caliber IS better than a peripheral hit with a bigger one.

And the smaller rounds tend to be easier at delivering that solid hit.

Deaf

I'm going to second the comments just made by Deaf in his last couple of posts, with one refinement ...

In most people the instinctive response to a loud noise or perceived danger is freeze, fight or flight.

The freeze reaction is strong in most folks, but it can be overcome via dedicated training.

The fight or flight reactions are probably best made when combined with at least some knowledge, experience and training so they have a chance of being sound tactical considerations, and hopefully being successful.

It always amazes me that so many folks seem to think that "instinctive" will always mean "successful", or "appropriate for the circumstances".

Training gives you options.

Good, proper training ... combined with good decision-making under stress ... may give you potentially better options.

Someone's "paradigm shift" might simply be someone else's idea of common sense.

Last edited:
You can carry a $1k gun, or a $350 gun, the results are the same, when you do it right, every time.

.45ACP/9mm/.38 Special/.22 LR or WMR. They all go boom. Where are you plascing? Are you placing in a 'target' profile, putting one bullet right behind the other? On paper, that's great, but for Center of Mass of the human body, the more holes, the merrier.

Full metal flat points/ semiwadcutters/wadcutters/big and small hollowpoints, that is your choice, your money. From my P.O.V., from a revolver, Elmer Keith started the ball rolling with semi-wadcutters. Big-city PD's, circa 1950's, and that old Civil Defense organization, in the '60's, used full wadcutters. Hollowpoints that don't fail as designed, become wadcutters, so why not skip the failure, and just use WC's or SWC's?

When I was a GI in Thailand, it was my Model 15, and that Winchester ammo, that they now call 'target' ammunition. I was not any military law enforcement type. I was on the fence, on the 'back 40' of the airbase.

Quote:
But that's not the point he made:

But it's the point I made.

A solid hit with a smaller caliber IS better than a peripheral hit with a bigger one.

Most, I assume, would agree. I don't see anyone arguing against your "point". But your point has nothing to do with what Archie said: Again,: " A solid hit with a bigger caliber is better than a solid hit with a smaller caliber." You, I assume, would not dispute this bit of ballistic wisdom.

been running 10yd drills

dumping/rapid fire 5 shot strings

really enjoying shooting and carrying this G19

Back