Carry gun/Night stand gun

My edc is either a Beretta Pico or a Kahr CM9. My nightstand gun is a Sig P250 compact with a light on the rail.

My carry gun is on my nightstand, but I would grab the 12ga Mossberg setting next to the nightstand first. For that matter... my carry piece (Kahr CW9) is on the nightstand, my backup carry piece (CM9) is in the nightstand, and I have another carry piece (another CW9) in my desk drawer... and so on and so forth.

How do you shoot each in some mildly stressful tests such as an IDPA or USPSA match? Have you taken a class with each to check out your performance?

Which do you practice with?

That's more relevant than just naming hardware.

For the record - carry for me is a 9mm Glock, alternating with a J frame and I shoot both regularly in matches. Classes with both

Thus I pick up at night something that I have practiced shooting, reloading and clearing under some pressure.

My night stand gun is a Kimber 1911. It's what goes with me when the door bell rings in the middle of the night. My carry gun is a Sig 238. Some folks seem to think the carry gun needs to be a large caliber but if you ask me which one I'd rather be shot with, my answer will always be neither. Yes, it may take more shots to take a person down but if I'm in a situation where I need to use it, I'm not stopping firing until both my mags are empty.

The other advantage of using two handguns of the same style is that I know how both operate and don't have to learn two guns.

No kids to worry about here.

My SIG P226 is on my side of the bed and my wife has her S&W 640 Pro.

My SIG P938 travels with me outside of the home.

My CCW pistol is a Glock 23, 40s&w stuffed with 180grn Speer Gold Dots in an inside the belt holster it's a great piece with 13+1rds of power. My nightstand gun is a Glock G21, 45acp stuffed with 14+1rds (extend mag) 200grn Speer Gold Dots. Same manual of arms and both are practiced with often. My wife has her M1 Carbine with 30+1rds of 110grn Speer JSP.

Yes, it may take more shots to take a person down but if I'm in a situation where I need to use it, I'm not stopping firing until both my mags are empty.

With no offense, you need to rethink this statement. If you fire more shots than legal authorities think are necessary to stop the other party and cause death, you may be charged with manslaughter or even murder.

A reload might be seen as premeditation.

I have several guns in my carry rotation. My nightstand gun is a Ruger P345 .45 Auto with a Streamlight attached. It is double-action on the first shot, so accidental discharge due to stress is not likely. It's accurate, 100% reliable and is loaded with 185 gr JHP ammo. The light illuminates the bedroom, hall, dining room and kitchen. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of it.

My carry gun IS the “nightstand” gun, I don’t believe in leaving a gun laying around when I leave and I’m too lazy to run down to the gun safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My nightstand gun is a Springfield 1911, my carry guns are a S&W Shield, Kimber Micro 9 and a Diamondback DB9, which one depends on what I'm wearing. I don't try to carry the 1911 as I have a hard time concealing it.

My nightstand gun is whatever pistol I happened to be carrying that day.

Depending on the time of year, weather, or my clothing and activity that day, it could be one of several pistols: NAA .22 Mag revolver, Sp101 in .327 Fed, 5” 1911, Browning Hipower, or a J frame S&W .38 Special.

Back