Care to see what 70000 rounds on a Glock looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK103K

Well, actually a bit over 69,900, but close enough. :)

Over the past four and a half years or so, its had about 300 rounds a week through it, sometimes more. In that time, Ive replaced the RSA once or twice a year, and I did replace the extractor once, actually twice, but Im pretty sure now, they all were probably OK, and it was really just a brass issue.

I again replaced the third with the second, after seeing issues with a couple of lots of reloads, and with new ammo, and younger reloads, the issue went away. That makes me wonder if the original was actually OK too, which is how Im leaning.

Gun has been cleaned and lubed after every outing, and the slide stripped and cleaned a couple of times a year. I usually blast the extractor and firing pin channel with Gun Scrubber once a month or so, and the frame a couple of three times a year.

99% of the ammo shot through it has been my reloads (124 grain FMJ over 4.9 grains of 231), with a couple of cases of Winchester Ranger T 127 grain +P+ or Federal 124 grain HST's.

Even with constant holster use, it really shows no external wear on the finish. About all thats suffered, is the slide stop, which is holster related, as I dont use it to release the slide.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The inside of the slide and barrel show the most wear, with the heaviest being the barrel in the "smiley" area.

The slide has two spots on it where the locking block has been impacting it, yet its not peening like my 31 was having, simply some light finish wear. You can also see where the top front edge of the barrel has been riding. The barrel also shows wear at that point, and again, the finish is just polished.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The barrel shows the heaviest wear, and the smileys can actually be "felt", when you run your fingernail over them. There is a definite grove worn in a couple of spots.

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The only thing I see wearing in the frame, are the rails, which have worn to a very sharp edge, and will slice you if youre not careful, the piece that engages the firing pin safety on the trigger bar, and the forward part of the locking block, where its been impacting the underside of the slide.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

All in all, its been pretty boring and uneventful shooting wise. The only stoppages Ive had, were either ammo related, or intentionally induced.

It still shoots where you point it, and will tear ragged holes if you try and shoot groups.

The trigger doesnt really feel any different than any of my other Glocks, even after all the shooting and the bazillion presentations in dry fire.

Any breechface galling?
Not that I see.

What has happened is, the usual "rough" breach face is now worn smooth where the cases contact it. The usual rough, vertical cutting marks in the breach face, are now only visible just above where the case sits.

Its kind of hards to see here, but I think you can get the idea.....

ry%3D400

It didnt start out as a test, its just one of two that I have that I shoot regularly, and ended up keeping track of, and now I figure I might as well see how far it goes.

I don't think it's all that uncommon.

I keep track of the round counts in all my guns. It's how I know when it's time to detail strip one for a thorough cleaning (as opposed to a normal field-strip & clean) and when it's time to replace normal wear items.

You actually kept track of 69,900 rounds?
Yea, sort of. Its based on a weekly round count, and is actually on the light side. I normally shoot 300 rounds out of it by myself each week in practice, and sometimes more, and then more again when somebody else comes over and wants to shoot.

I dont do it for everything I shoot, but some guns I know pretty close, because they are what I shoot the most in practice, and I have a pretty good idea of what Im shooting there.

The average I shoot on the G19 I carry, and shoot IDPA with, 150 a month.

According to the 69,000 fired here, my Glock 19 will last about 100 years!

AK103K said:
Im sure most of the other major makes would fare the same.

Most of the modern, big name manufacturers would probably survive this testing. I haven't done it, and haven't seen it documented.

Besides, you (and many others) did it with a Glock. :D

They are marvels of engineering.

(PS: good luck getting a 1911 to do that...)

(PS: good luck getting a 1911 to do that...)
A "real" 1911 wouldnt have much trouble. ;)

I have an old Colt Commander that has quite a few rounds through it, and it rarely ever missed a beat. Still have it, and still shoot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back