Can you use .22 LR in .22 Magnum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend said he cut off the heads of fired .22 Mag cases to make adapter sleeves for LRs in a .22 WRM revolver.
I did not see them in action.

Jim Watson said:
A friend said he cut off the heads of fired .22 Mag cases to make adapter sleeves for LRs in a .22 WRM revolver.
I did not see them in action.
Interesting approach. Necessity is the mother of invention.

It would have been easier to just buy .22 WRF, but I guess this way is cheaper.

As anyone who has been to Tijuana can tell you, there are many things you can do that you should not do.

That you can put a 22lr into a 22 magnum and fire it doesn't mean you should.

SIGSHR said:
A lot of people seem to think that 22 LR is to 22 Magnum as 38 Special is to 357 Magnum.
Whereas, in reality, .22 LR is the "magnum" version of the .22 Short and/or .22 Long. The .22 WMR is the magnum version of the .22 WRF.

And let's not forget the .22 WRA ... which might or might not fire in a firearm chambered for .22 WRF or .22 WMR.

It's just a good thing the manufacturers made it simple, so people can't get confused.

No - look at how the bullet is seated on a 22 magnum vs a 22 lr- one sits in the case and one sits on top of.
Seriously? If your statement has any validity I'll ask this, why doesn't the bullet fall out when you turn the round upside down??
Both rounds have the bullet crimped in the brass

.22LR is 'heeled'...

The bullet is the same diameter as the case, but the base of the bullet is smaller and is inserted in the case...

.22 Mag is the same diameter to the base, and full diameter is inserted in the case...

Seriously? If your statement has any validity I'll ask this, why doesn't the bullet fall out when you turn the round upside down??
Both rounds have the bullet crimped in the brass
Google "heeled bullet" and you'll see crimps have nothing to do with anything.

Google "heeled bullet" and you'll see crimps have nothing to do with anything.
I do not understand your argument.
There are many reasons, not the least of which are the facts that both cartridges do use crimped case mouths to retain bullets; and that all traditional heeled bullets are designed to be crimped.

.22 LR = heeled.
.22 WMR = not heeled.

Both are crimped in factory ammunition.

I do not understand your argument.
There are many reasons, not the least of which are the facts that both cartridges do use crimped case mouths to retain bullets; and that all traditional heeled bullets are designed to be crimped.
Crimps have nothing to do with the 22 LR bullet being (in part) the same outside diameter as the case, while the 22 Magnum bullet is a smaller diameter than the case.

Crimps have nothing to do with the 22 LR bullet being (in part) the same outside diameter as the case, while the 22 Magnum bullet is a smaller diameter than the case.
I'm well aware of that.

However, the statement that you quoted and replied to, stating that crimp is not part of the equation, was talking about gravity and retaining bullets in the case.

.22 LR bullets don't just sit on top of a case fully of powder.

44 Amp said:
OP question asked, and answered, correctly, several times

LOL I only opened this thread to see why the original question, which only required a single one word answer: "No", had managed to go on for two pages. Nothing is ever quite that simple on here.

In an emergency I'd shoot a 22LR in a 22 magnum. Otherwise... NO. I do not recommend it. The topic has been adequately discussed.

Why would you want to? Of course it's because 22 Mag ammo is so expensive relative to 22LR..... I suggest you buy another gun for 22LR.

I have an old H&R "convertible" with a .22 lr and .22 mag cylinder.

I don't recall the .22lr cases splitting when I tried it, but, I do recall it being a real problem getting a round to fire since the firing pin and the rim of the .22lr don't quite line up.

Or - it could have been the extra cushion the magnum cylinder provides to accommodate the extra rim thickness of the .22mag.

Whatever it was,,it was more out of frustration I quit trying than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back