Can this 9mm claim be true?

if they are are talking about the "extreme penetration" round, then yes, believe it. it seems like a really sweet bullet. like a .30cal Phillip's head going 1300 fps.

at least it looks good in .380. can't find a decent 9mm test, I would be afraid any faster than the .380 might grossly over penetrate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczfeWK9lHw

sorry, didn't notice you posted a link at first. looks like good stuff. Hornady is good too

Seems like over penetration for a defense round, but I'm no expert. That's my greatest fear. Passing through a bad guy, and hitting an innocent bystander down range.

That's my greatest fear. Passing through a bad guy, and hitting an innocent bystander down range.

I think you need to re-evaluate your fears.

You may want to do some research on the number of innocent bystanders injured by bullets passing through a bad guy and the number of innocent bystanders injured by shots that completely miss the bad guy.

A bad guy makes a small and inadequate backstop. My overpenetration concerns are more about stray bullets passing through walls into homes occupied by innocents.

I've seen some pretty impressive tests on the Extreme Penetrator rounds. I personally think there is such a thing as too much penetration, though. There is a reason most experts don't recommend FMJ for self defense, and these seem to fall pretty close to that camp, or at least too close for my comfort. The best application I see for something like this is as a bear defense round out of a .357.

Let's see here. 18" of penetration with a 2.5" dia. wound channel would require something in the range of a .50 cal. 600 gr. projectile, with roughly 2,000 ft./lbs. of energy.
Only P.T. Barnum would claim otherwise, but he was wise to human nature.

The "Phillips head" analogy sound like the mythical Black Talon "buzzsaw". Any bullet fired from a handgun having a normal rifling twist rate will make only about one turn inside a human body. It doesn't matter large it is, how much it expands or what shape it is, it is not going to act like a drill bit slowly boring through a body.

Jim

I think you need to re-evaluate your fears.

You may want to do some research on the number of innocent bystanders injured by bullets passing through a bad guy and the number of innocent bystanders injured by shots that completely miss the bad guy.

The clip showed something like 22 inches of penetration. if a bullets hits nothing but soft tissue, (gut shot) it could pass through two people and stop in a third person. Or am I missing something?

A +P 90 grain solidat 1,450 fps at $33.50 per 20. Hmmm. Might be a drill, but even if it does horrible things to Jell-O, I'm not convinced sliced bread has anything to worry about. Penetration isn't what's needed anyway. Dumping the energy in the target is what's needed.
This one's pretty good too.
"Radial flutes that force the hydraulic energy inward to build pressure
Minimal surface area to increase the force at the point of contact and sharp cutting edges that defeat barriers."
Years ago, there was a .45 bullet with teeth that was supposed to bite into a bowling pin and therefore be better at knocking pins off the table.
And wound open channels then slam shut. Bullets do their damage with shock.

Dumping the energy in the target is what's needed.

Bullets do their damage with shock.

Someone needs to study up on terminal ballistics:cool: Handgun bullets damage what they actually impact. There is not enough velocity to impart ANY hydrostatic shock to surrounding structures.

Rifle rounds can have that effect but impact velocities are sometimes 3-4 TIMES what handguns are capable of.

"Shock" with a handgun is an outdated myth. Structures damaged + blood loss = effect on target. Nothing else

Hurry! Rush out and buy all you can! These are the very first "magic bullets" ever offered!!!!
-or bother to learn how bullets work, and leave the garbage in the garbage.

Winchester Ranger, Golden Sabre, Federal HST, Gold Dots.

Pick one and be happy. For the most part, any revolutionary development in handgun bullets would be picked up by one of these companies and sold to LEOs.

Every few years you see another one of these "magic bullets" hit the market.

I think these bullets solve a commonly voiced concern about .380's. I don't think they have much of a market outside of smaller calibers, due to over penetration and since tipped HPs create a more substantial wound. The Phillip a head is not touted as a spinning drill of death, it advertised as pushing tissue away from the flows of the bullet and creating a larger channel than the actual projectile. Every test I have seen, independent or otherwise, shows that to be the case. So get about half the perm cavity of a great Hp and most of the penetration of a fmj and get a nice compromise for mouse guns. It cannot be worse than an Fmj anyway and that is what most are instructed to do with their .380's, so if this makes ANY measurable wound over fmj than it should be a no brainier. All just opinions of course

I have a couple of friends that tested many SD rounds including Golden Saber, Critical Defense, HST, etc. in ballistic gel and the winner was the Federal HST. I saw the results and was rather impressed. Opened up beautifully, retained it's weight and had adequate penetration in .380, 9mm, and .45. Not that the other bullets performed badly, but the HST was more uniform in its performance. As to a magic bullet, there's only one that I know of, the one I load for my .308.

I recently bought a 9mm carry pistol. I have been using FTX Critical Defense. I just received an email today from Lehigh Defense that claimed they have a new 9mm defense round called Xtreme Defense with 18" penetration, and creates a 2.5" wound channel.

Is this hype or the real deal? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJcJ8LQFbQ This is a link to a video on UNDERWOOD ammunition NOT Lehigh

If you go to the Lehigh website, the there is a link to a test of the Lehigh +p+ 90 grain Xtreme Defender done by the Military Arms Channel. Here is the link - click on "Video."

The test is impartial and includes testing through four layers of denim, and shots through four layers of denim over spare ribs (to simulate a rib cage).

Before you all come to conclusions as to whether "this is real" or not - you need to watch the CORRECT VIDEO - not the link provided in the original post.

Back