Can Pocket Carry Be Beat? Observations from the Laser Range.

This is a great conversation! I just recently decided to try pocket carry. Until recently, I’ve always carried a mid-size gun (Glock 19, Sig P320 Compact, etc.) strong side, IWB. I never had an issue with it, and in fact considered pocket carry to be harder for a number of reasons.

1. I wear jeans 98.632% of the time. Granted they’re not skinny jeans, but they do fit right, which means the pockets are kind of tight and not very big.

2. Pocket carry would require a smaller gun, which in itself introduces a few problems. Am I okay carrying a smaller caliber (.380 vs 9mm)? Is my marksmanship good enough (tiny guns are harder to shoot)?

So, I recently switched to 5.11 jeans, which are designed for people like us who carry guns every day. My style didn’t have to change and I’m not wearing “I have a gun” pants. Problem number 1 solved.

As to number two, I have been pocket carrying a Taurus Spectrum for about a month now. I use a Kydex holster with a hook to catch the pocket on the draw. The 5.11 jeans have hidden pockets in the back that make it easy to carry a spare magazine. And I practice with the gun quite a bit, and am comfortable with my level of marksmanship. So problem 2 is covered.

I think the bottom line is to get comfortable with how you choose to carry and practice, practice, practice. Before I ever left the house with this current setup, I practiced my drawstroke hundreds of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharkbite said:
Im not sure why you would say you cant draw while seated. Thats one of the strongest reasons for AWIB.

Well, that there ^^^ is the problem. I did not write that "you cant draw while seated" with AIWB. (Or with strong side OWB/IWB.)

I listed means of carry that are superior/easier to access when seated or in an automobile while strapped in. Originally in regard to strong-side, but they also beat AIWB for seated/strapped in.

Again:
jfruser said:
So if the primary concern is drawing while seated, the on-body solutions are (in order of quickness and ease of access):
1. Driving holster
2. Tanker holster
3. Shoulder holster
4. Cross-draw
5. Ankle

You misread me, so cool it with the monomania. AIWB is legit, superior in some applications, inferior in others, and not the easiest means to access a firearm 'if the primary concern is drawing while seated.'

Enjoy your life.

Back