Can one in good faith oppose the current scope of federal authority?

Can one in good faith oppose the current scope of federal authority?

Looking back to the original statement/question and how I interpret it...

Yes

You can be a good countryman without buying into political propoganda. Look back to the original idea behind the country we formed. It was all about an honest man, earning an honest living, raising an honest family, and not being raked over the coals by every po-dunk high-n-mighty that believed they had the authority to do so just because they wanted to.

On a more local/personal scale, how I see it is that, though I don't agree with much of what I see the government doing, I focus on the center of my circle and work to keep that circle separated from the mob as much as possible. IE: I try to stay out of the loop of influence. Solar power designed into the new house, half of everything the family eats is either wild or gardened, my motorcycle keeps me out of the gas-giant vice a lot more than I ever thought it would... And we work to be more self-sufficient.

Summing up after not enough explaination, the less connected and "under the thumb" of the current system, the better. And have no problem feeling I am well within the scope of what was meant by the Constitution and what it was meant to be. I'll still believe in and follow the fundamentals of it long after the current/future neck-tie suit-wearing holy-rollers have finished trashing it. When it comes right down to it, we don't NEED them--but they need us. They only have what power they're granted by us. The more of us that don't buy into their power-plays (that being good, little subjegated deciples reliant on the crumbs they throw), the better off we are.

I found some good quotes from Patrick Henry, which I believe nicely answer the OP.

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
-Patrick Henry

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?
-Patrick Henry

We are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of Nature has placed in our power... the battle, sir, is not to the strong alone it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.
-Patrick Henry

The great object is that every man be armed.
-Patrick Henry

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
-Patrick Henry

What if one region was agriculture based and was in a situation where a lot of illegal immigrants were involved ... and suppose that another region's party was in power and, in order to stay in power, they made illegal immigrants into citizens and extended to them the right of suffrage ... such that one region had to absorb a foreign population in order to further another region's political party ... that could cause some serious friction.
Are you talking about S. Osettia? ;)

Back