Can anyone do a Johny Ringo type pistol twirl?

Unloaded SAA=cylinder removed.

That's the only way I'd try that stunt.

Persons in the REAL Old West didn't need all that falderall...

Actually there is some evidence that real old west gunmen did twirl their guns. Mostly it was a way of showing off. However, there were supposed to be a few usefull "tricks" like the "road agents spin". In that move you were handing your gun to someone, but forward, and would suddenly twirl it around, cocking it and shooting in one smooth action. Supposedly (supposedly!) this was actually used once or twice by J. Wesley Hardin.

I can do a really lame single twirl forward and backward (in my right hand only) with my 1851 Navy. And as far as safety goes, I don't see it much different than dryfiring. When you're going to do it, you unload and closely inspect the gun. And you still do it in an area where the damage from accidents can be minimized..

Regards,
Matt

Phil Spangenberger (I hope I got his name correct) does some fancy revolver handling of this sort. He demonstrated some technigues for Guns and Ammo in the late 20th century (about 1998 or so for us calendar-challenged types).

IIRC, Curly Bill Brocius supposedly used an underhanded spin (underhanded in more ways than one) when he shot Marshall Fred White.

What?

Didn't you watch Robocop, when Officer Murphy was twirling his Sig Sauer P226?
He was supposed to be doing it like his kid's favorite TV action cowboy, T.J. Laser.

:p

Actually there is some evidence that real old west gunmen did twirl their guns. Mostly it was a way of showing off. However, there were supposed to be a few usefull "tricks" like the "road agents spin". In that move you were handing your gun to someone, but forward, and would suddenly twirl it around, cocking it and shooting in one smooth action. Supposedly (supposedly!) this was actually used once or twice by J. Wesley Hardin.

I recall reading some time ago about someone who did an analysis of homicides on the frontier. They checked several states over about a ten-year historical period and found something like 30 total homicides, only a handful of which were attributable to anything close to a gunfight. J. Wesley Hardin may have been a crime wave in himself, but he is an individual (with a LOT of apocryphal stories about him).

Personally, I think if they did it, it was probably to impress the coyotes they were about to shoot. And that fast-draw holster that makes the whole thing look so slick was an invention of Hollywood, IIRC. Not much point in spinning your gun if you are wearing one of those old leather flap holsters crosswise across your belt.

Was searching "Kirk Douglas Gun Spinning" this site popped up, read this Post, Couldn't believe all the Negative about Gun Spinning. Johnny Ringo, mentioned, Movie had Val Kilmer. For those who appreciate the skill, Kirk Douglas in "Man Without a Star" has good Stuff, as Does James Garner in Maverick, "Full House" Episode. It is impressive, If you are Uncoordinated, or don't want to break a nail, stay away from it? Use to practice Quick draw with 45, over 40 Years ago. Quicker can save your life, I would pull Hammer back when pulling out, then let back on way back in Holster. Did go off once, felt the air across the back of my leg. Didn't hit my leg as I never have barrel pointed across anyone or myself. Little Smarter now. Still have all my parts, and no holes

Welcome to the site.

Since you spent some time registering stick around and see what the site has to offer. I've found this to be an incredibly informative and entertaining place. I think anyone that spends almost any amount of time here will be amazed at the amount and quality of knowledge freely given out here and the moderators keep this a civil place on top of that.

You did resurrect a thread over 17 years old and yes I think you got a correct idea about what the general opinion on the site is about twirling a handgun.

Glad you didn't shoot yourself (that is a sincere statement) and once again, since you spent the time establishing an account stick around, read and contribute.
Good luck.

There are several videos on Amazon that teach gun twirling,,,
I had an older VHS tape that was produced by "Dusty Johnson - Saddlemaker".

It's harder to master than it looks,,,
I barely got to the level where I could do a "slow spin to holster".

It was amusing for a while.

Aarond

We had a Cool Jerk at an IPSC match who sought to impress bystanders - including his girlfriend - by twirling his Sig P229 into the holster at the conclusion of a stage. He did not see the necessity of a safety disqualification and did not return.

I hadn't noticed we were kicking around an old subject, but stuff still happens.
I wonder if Stratmando has one of those fast draw holsters with the blast deflector plate at the bottom.

There used to be traveling quick draw type shows with gun twirling, staged shootouts and blanks popping balloons that went around places like hardware stores and such, for promotions and grand openings. There was even one guy that blew up a wooden crate he was inside at a lumber yard.

There was even one guy that blew up a wooden crate he was inside at a lumber yard.

If this was years and years ago it might have been the infamous "Captain Dynamite". His story was he was a Coast Guard cook that took his 30 day yearly leave from the Coast Guard and went around the country blowing himself up in "boxes". No trick, he just didn't mind being close to explosions.

He did a show July 4, 1978 at Metropolitan Stadium after a Minnesota Twins game that enthralled our local sports writer Pat Reusse who did a pretty neat column about Captain Dynamite.

You can see the Captains Met performance here (about a minute and a half):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBwOzP3pAk

And read Patrick Reusse's column about the Captain here:
https://stage-www.startribune.com/m...namite-at-met-stadium/570983002/?refresh=true

Back in my CAS days I saw Joe in action. Great dexterity.
There was another guy whose name escapes me at the moment, who could do amazing work with a Ruger.

The most flashy that I ever got was spinning a night stick on a leather thong while working a foot beat in the commercial business district. This was done with my left hand so it was an amazing feat. The real purpose behind this drill was to keep folks from getting too close. I did it cause chicks dug it though.

Two times during the day I had fixed post assignments swinging traffic during rush hour. I donned white gloves and had a genuine German silver traffic whistle. That involved standing in the middle of a busy intersection with passing tires just inches from my toes.

It's probably a good thing that spinning a revolver wasn't in style.

I could spin better then most and faster then lighting. But that was with my Fanner Fifty and I was about 8 years old. Good times.

Let me tell you a true story arising from a case I prosecuted almost 20 years ago. A young man by the name of Adam Lee made the journey from his farm in a remote area of Mendocino County, CA, along with his girlfriend, to the town of Willits on the occasion of his 30th birthday. Among other amusements they saw the movie Tombstone.
They returned home in the wee hours of the morning. Our hero had been so impressed by the gun twirling in the movie that he decided to try it himself - it did not go well.
Adam did not own a Colt single action or any facsimile. Inventive minds are not deterred and young Adam decided a Ruger 9mm auto would do for twirling practice.
Alas, he forgot (if he ever knew them) all the rules of safe gun handling. He tried twirling his 9mm with a loaded chamber and the hammer cocked. Why? I do not know, and I suspect the rule about leaving guns put away while impaired may also have been ignored.
You have likely also guessed this part: he managed to discharge the pistol while twirling it, the bullet went through the wad of cash in his pocket, and through his thigh. At this point our hero is in a great deal of pain, bleeding from what could be a life-threatening injury, and the only other person at his remote farm, his girlfriend, is completely freaked out.
Despite her distress, she manages to get him into the pickup and drive him to the next farm on the way into town. (Have you guessed what crop they are farming?)
The neighboring farmer takes our hero the rest of the way to Howard Hospital in Willits. In accordance with standard procedure, the hospital reports the gunshot wound to law enforcement. Mendocino sheriff’s deputies respond, separate our hero from his neighbor, and question them about the circumstances of the gunshot wound. It is not long before the stories diverge. The Sheriff, knowing well the principal farming activity in that area is concerned there may have been a larger gunfight. By daylight our hero’s farm is surrounded by deputies with a search warrant.
They found Blue Ribbon quality marijuana and remains of a meth lab on the property.
Despite not having had a job or filing an income return for many years, Hero Lee managed to buy his 20 acre property for $200K and pay off the (seller financed) note in just five years.
At the end of the day, our hero was convicted of four felonies: possession of marijuana for sale, and three counts of tax evasion. He also lost the property in a separate state asset forfeiture action.
Adam had been flying under the radar and was not being looked at by law enforcement. The cascading consequences of his silliness changed his life profoundly, despite no fatal or permanent injuries being inflicted.

Back