Can anyone do a Johny Ringo type pistol twirl?

notbubba

In most westerns at least one person does some type of pistol twirling.

I'm a big fan of the movie Tombstone, and I'm very impressed with the trick gun handling by Michael Biehn.

Can anybody do some of these tricks?

With a pistol? I believe you'd be violating at least one of the four rules.
Just one?
With your finger inside the trigger guard and the weapon spinning covering your armpit and everything in front and behind you?
I think you break every last one of 'em. No thanks! Give me a cap gun and I'll give it a whirl (no pun intended).

I know someone who can, used to do it professionaly for the movie industry... If you're ever in Simi Valley California, look for a beat up mini-truck with 'Cowboy Bob' in big letters on the back, that'll be him.

If you stop him and ask, he'll talk your ear off :D

A solid rubber stage gun or one of those non-firing replicas is the preferred item for this type of activity.
Kirk Douglas was really good at it.

My brother and I used to try this kind of stuff. (he is much better than I am). Nothing like what Johnny Ringo did in the movie, but I got to where I could spin a gun (UNLOADED of course) and drop it in my holster as the barrel came around on the last spin.

I've seen that in lots of movies but oddly can't name one at the moment. (I think Ringo did that as the last move.)

I give gun twirling two thumbs up the arse!
:rolleyes:
A) Its dangerous and violates every rule of safe gun handling.
B) Its useless. What do you gain from spinning your gun around on your finger? Gun spinning is the queerest thing to ever come out of hollyweird....
:rolleyes:

I did it with a dummy gun at a pistol shoot last month. I can't believe that I pulled it off on the first try. However, I did do this stunt many times with cap pistol in my youth.

I knew a jerk...

who did it with a live 1911 at the range. Hotshotted it into his belt like IWB. We were all gone in 3 minutes (like, out of the parking lot) after chewing his @ss good.

While we're at it...
'twirling' is for toy guns. GUNS ARE NOT TOYS.
Anyone that thinks they are cool because they can twirl a real gun needs thier head examined. Thats like juggling chainsaws...

<Rant Mode On>

Horse pucky like twirling loaded guns in a movie is precisely why 99+% of the American people are absolute maniacal idiots when it comes to guns and gun safety.

If I was a time traveller I'd go back in time and identify the Hollyweird idiot who came up with the idea of using stupid stunts like that in movies and I kick his / her keester into the next zipcode.

It is dangerous, it is stupid.

<Rant Mode Off>

Seeker...

since you can twirl a tin cup, you're a better man than I am. :P

I can't do it with a gun,
I can't do it on the run.
I can't do it with a cup,
gotta run it's time to sup.

AMEN, brethern - - -

Fully agree with every last syllable concerning twirling, safety, foolishness, etc.

But, once long ago, I watched Sammy Davis Jr. onstage in Las Vegas. He did some of the most fantastic hawg laig gymnastics EVER! Real deal--Arvo Ojala buscadero rig and a full weight SAA -- or clone--Didn't get to handle the gun. (And, yes, I know the Ed Bohlin and Ojala rigs were not Old West Authentic--I'm talking MOVIE Real Deal.;)

To me, Davis was the most likeable member of the Rat Pack. Nope, never met him. Just seemed that way.:D

Best,
Johnny

Do they do that kind of stuff at the cowboy action shoots? Perfectly safe to do with a Ruger New Model SA, but probably better to not do it at all.

I guess I'm an idiot...

Using a single action revolver (Uberti replica of Colt .45) the balance is just right to twirl!

Being single action, if the hammer is down, (even IF LOADED) the firearm is NOT going to discharge if a finger inside the trigger guard presses the trigger ... it's already back.

Being someone with halfway active braincells, noticing the balance of an EMPTY revolver and spinning it into a holster was a heck of a lot of fun!

I don't suppose this is really any more dangerous then dry firing at the TV set while in an apartment complex.

Back