Calamity of caliber choices

Driftwood Johnson, I have that book on my amazon cart,I’ll finish my order sometime in a week or 2, thx it looks like everything I would want to know about the internals, thx. That’ll make AutoCADing it for full comprehension of how everything interacts and the assembly, much easier

Chainsaw is correct. Exspensive equipment is nice, but with files, hammers, basic hand tools, decent guns CAN be built. There was a Gun Digest article in 80 or 81, can't recall which, pertaining to gunsmiths in Afghanistan (or Pakistan... some "stan" anyhow), building reproduction Lugers, Lee Enfields and AK-47's, with only very basic, old school equipment, elbow grease and skill. Kabul, and the Kyhber pass area both have a huge cottage industry of gunsmiths. If THEY can build functional repeating weapons with limited tools, why can't the original poster? I doubt some of these middle eastern gunsmiths can even read or write, yet THEY can build a working AK-47 with BASIC hand tools, but you guys are telling the poster his idea is too exspensive and complicated, so forget it??? If I'm cutting a tree down, I prefer my Jonsered Chainsaw, as its easy on my back and cuts like a knife through butter, but I don't NEED it to drop the tree. I have an axe too!!! More than one way to skin a cat guys. :D. Here is a video..., poor quality, but you can see the work conditions, and old and new technology being used. https://youtu.be/Sp6kxPZCCmg

Last edited:
Chainsaw is correct. Exspensive equipment is nice, but with files, hammers, basic hand tools, decent guns CAN be built. There was a Gun Digest article in 80 or 81, can't recall which, pertaining to gunsmiths in Afghanistan (or Pakistan... some "stan" anyhow), building reproduction Lugers, Lee Enfields and AK-47's, with only very basic, old school equipment, elbow grease and skill. Kabul, and the Kyhber pass area both have a huge cottage industry of gunsmiths. If THEY can build functional repeating weapons with limited tools, why can't the original poster? I doubt some of these middle eastern gunsmiths can even read or write, yet THEY can build a working AK-47 with BASIC hand tools, but you guys are telling the poster his idea is too exspensive and complicated, so forget it??? If I'm cutting a tree down, I prefer my Jonsered Chainsaw, as its easy on my back and cuts like a knife through butter, but I don't NEED it to drop the tree. I have an axe too!!! More than one way to skin a cat guys. . Here is a video..., poor quality, but you can see the work conditions, and old and new technology being used. https://youtu.be/Sp6kxPZCCmg

Did you happen to notice the bank of CNC millers in one scene in that video? While the video shows workman hand fitting parts with files, while working on the floor, those parts were made on that CNC equipment. The finish filing and fitting was being done by hand, and while I can tell by looking at them that those CNC millers are not modern state of the art, they sure as shooting are CNC millers. Which is a far cry from making parts from scratch with basic hand tools. I worked with CNC millers about that sophisticated over 30 years ago, and I can tell you that the operators of that equipment not only know how to read, they have to know how to program them too.

Yes, I saw that. My point is that they have been hand crafting modern weapons long before CNC machines were around and can do so now if the power gets shut off. They are obviously trying to increase productivity and quality in recent times for greater profit, but were previously doing things by hand, slowly grinding and filing away diligently until they got the right fit and function. I doubt they had CNC machines in that remote region during the Soviet invasion era.

Howdy One More Time

If you have half the skills of that young lady, and all the terrific equipment she used, you might be able to pull it off.

She used several innovative techniques that were not standard, particularly making the bolt from a bent piece of spring steel. Her rifling technique goes back to the early days of muzzle loading rifles, which she did mention. She also did not mention how the sine bar works that she used to control the twist rate of the rifling.

Notice she mentioned several times she used an original revolver, I assume a Colt, to make all her measurements.

xandi said:
Not unless I get ahold of some serious money, I will, if I go through with it, machine and file everything, school has a old Bridgeport mill, I can use,

First off, from one CNC machinist to another I do admire your passion for designing and manufacturing a firearm. I'm also guessing you are either a high school trade student or a college student enrolled in a machinist apprentice 2 year program ? Either which you FIRST need to consult with your faculty if they will even allow the design or manufacture of a firearm (and I almost guarantee the answer will be a harsh "NO"). Reason being is the substantial liability issues. If you pursue this all on your own you will need a lathe, special rifling tooling, reamers and a Bridgeport. You will also need to do some deep research on metallurgy. Don't just think you can grab any random grade of steel and machine out a revolver receiver and cylinder. You as a designer are obligated to not only provide a well engineered design, you are obligated to engineer a safe design. If with your finished functioning revolver your dad blows his hand apart from the fact you incorrectly over hardened 1018 steel when you should have used a certified 4140 forging. Design and manufacture is not just about drawing lines on a computer and throwing metal chips...

Howdy Again for what I hope is the Last Time

I have already said this a zillion times, but I will say it one more time.

Start simple. Build a single shot pistol. The Colt Single Action Army mechanism is much more intricate and subtle than it appears at first.

In a past life I had considerable experience with CAD/CAM. Both at the design end and the manufacturing end. I am also a pretty fair gun tinkerer.

I would not dream of trying to make one of these from scratch, I know what is involved.

interiorparts02.jpg

2ndGenColtExplodedView.jpg

Last edited:
With all due respect, even back in the 1870s it took an entire factory, with many, many specialty machines, jigs, and fixtures to manufacture the Colt Single Action Army. Not to mention obtaining dimensioned drawings, which are the intellectual property of Colt, and they will never release those documents.

LOL! I guess you'd never heard of the Pakistani Black Market Gun Shops. Just do a Google

This is not a put down.
When my daughter was about 8 yrs,I asked her how she wanted to earn a living when she grew up.
She answered "I want to have the Popsicle wagon" So I asked he what flavors of popsicles,and what the truck would look like.What music,etc. I encouraged her to have a vision.
Never got into the popsicle business. That's OK.

I forgot my history,but it might have been Sam Colt who whittled a wooden model of a revolver while he was at sea,out of wood.
JMB's little shop in Ogden,Utah was quite modest,I have been told.

The British gunmakers such as Holland and Holland have modernized considerably,but it was not so many years ago the receiver started as a lump of steel , then on a drill press,as much steel as possible was roughed out.

Then these guys went to work with chisels and files
I have my reservations as to whether a bored millennial has the tradeand craft skills to actually complete this handgun.

But if he just makes a scale CAD model of all the parts...He will develop a lot of skills and understanding.

Of course,the 3-D printer model is next.

With those parts as a guide,sawing,filing,fitting the little parts can be done by a determined ,skilled individual.

If he gets the CAD model built,its a valuable experience.

OP,you will discover that old school gun parts were made by different tools and methods than a wonderful Bridgeport.

Like a tooling box and a broach,or a shaper.

Those parts shown above,how do you set those up in a vise? What do you hold? Sometimes you 90% machine it while its still inside the rectangular block you started with,connected by a few tabs of steel.

Sometimes you can make a long bar of parts with silhouette of the desired part,then slice off parts with a slotting saw.

There are ways. You might look to McMaster-Carr for steel.I don't know tha 8620 is the best,but its not a horrible choice for a frame.Do usea known,heat treatable alloy steel,and that does not necessarily mean a tool steel.
You can buy blank cylinders,used by custom pistol smiths. You get good steel that way,even hardened.

I have a crazy ideafor you.Go to Track of the Wolf. Buy and make a Siler Muzzle Loader lock kit.Make it. Build a muzzle loader rifle.

It will help prepare you for your revolver

Last edited:
And don't forget proprietary machining and dies, so parts are impossible to find anywhere
else. Might as well make it as difficult to fix as the big boys do.

Back