Calamity of caliber choices

“Not to mention obtaining dimensioned drawings,”
I’ll make those once I decide on a cartage. I will design it around the cartage in AutoCAD.

“ If you are going to make one then make enough parts to make 3-4 so when a screw up is made you have some spare parts. “
Always good advice(: plus there usually better quality of the next go around, I was thinking of trying a small scale 1st attempt before the nicer final product

Not unless I get ahold of some serious money, I will, if I go through with it, machine and file everything, school has a old Bridgeport mill, I can use,

make those once I decide on a cartage. I will design it around the cartage in AutoCAD.

That is an interesting concept, considering that the Colt SAA was made from .22 LR to .455 Webley. But see my previous post.

Why not go for something like a 32 caliber? Good luck on your build, keep us posted. I would be interested in seeing your progress.

Here's a thought, if you're going to built a revolver from steel stock (make it from scratch) why not make a version of the Webley-Fosberry???

Magnum calibers would be out, not friendly to a top break latch system, but in .45Colt, or .45ACP (with half moon clips) it would ROCK!!!

Ok, its like climbing MT Everest your first time out, but if you're going for the challenge of doing it, what could be more challenging and unique???

Good Luck, whatever you settle on...

How about something simple at first like the H&R Single shot revolver?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 02f12c166b5b48d6d8e8a024e85af3e6.jpg
    02f12c166b5b48d6d8e8a024e85af3e6.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 326
I’ll make those once I decide on a cartage. I will design it around the cartage in AutoCAD.

The only dimensions that should change depending on caliber are the chamber, bore, and rifling details. Everything else is completely the same, regardless of caliber. Of course if you make one for 22 Rimfire you will need to position the firing pin for a 22 RF round, and the firing pin hole in the frame will have to be adjusted to match.

I used to draw parts on AutoCad for a living. Believe me, there is a lot more to building a SAA than creating CAD drawings.

At the very least, I suggest you buy this book. The most complete book about the Single Action Army on the market. Includes lots of specifications and measured drawings. Well worth the price.

http://www.gunbooks.com/colt_sa.html

Also available at Amazon.

Last edited:
Alot of nay-sayers "you need a mill" "an entire factory..." etc etc. All false. You need those things to make a revolver in a timely fasion, but if a man wants to make one...eventually well thats his choice to do so. And I applaud him for it.

Like the old saying goes, when all you have is a hammer every thing looks like a nail. When working with my rigger buddy he couldnt get his head away from using a crane even when one wasn't avalible. When chatting with my friend he couldnt thing outside of using "products" that a bank would sell (he sells debt). Just because one man cant envision it doesn't mean another man cant produce it. Darn tootin it wont happen quickly, but its only his place to decide if its worth while.

How sure are you of your design, skills, and materials?

Catastrophic failure in .22 lr looks a bit different than catastrophic failure in 7.62x54r.

I'd say to start small and go with a .22 lr.

You'll learn a lot from building it. If you enjoy it building it, you can apply those lessons to the next one you make, but in centerfire.

By the way, good luck making the hammer cam, which needs to be properly placed in the hammer. And good luck making the bolt, which needs to be made from spring steel and tempered properly because one leg has to flex as it pops over the hammer cam for the action to function properly. Probably the two most critical components of the Single Action Army. If not tempered properly, one of the legs may break off.

Like this.

broken%20bolt_zpsxvupigyx.jpg

Sorry, I have no idea what the proper material is for the bolt, or what the proper temper is. But I would never try to make one. If you buy the book I suggested you will at least get an idea what they are supposed to look like.

“She got a 38 Special, but I believe it’s most too light.
I got a 32-20, got to make the caps alright”
- Robert Johnson

Sir, they made Colt Peacemakers in the 1870s. People today forget what craftsmen could make over 150 years ago by hand. Your project isn’t crazy, but it is ambitious.

My opinion is to reproduce a classic revolver and chamber it in the most desirable caliber for a collector. When you succeed, no one will be able to afford your revolver- perhaps your great grandkids will donate it to a museum, but you will have made yourself in to a master gunsmith.

Colt. 45 Long Colt. 44-40 if you insist on being a weirdo.

If I could offer advice- It’s an ambitious project; start with something that you have full plans for and realize this could take many years.

Once you get your revolver done, I've got a suggestion for your next "impossible" project...

I've always wanted a Luger in .44AMP (Auto Mag Pistol)...

Though, as a (slightly) more practical matter, I'd gladly settle for one in .45 Win Mag. :D

No drawings for one of those, you'll have to figure out everything, on your own.

I might be able to lend you a Luger to measure and "scale up", if you get to that point and need one. ;) (assuming I'm still around, and still have a Luger, :rolleyes:)

Good Luck with your build!

In the 1870s, Colt had a fully equipped FACTORY, with machinery.
In 1870, people were not sitting around in caves beating things
with rocks.

Last edited:
About a gazillion years ago I bought some "plans" to make a simple break open single shot 22 LR pistol you could make with hand tools , even cutting the chamber. Very simple design , had complete instructions . I never made one but wish I could find those plans , I remember the envelope had a 5 cent postage stamp on it ....I have more time now .

Anyway...if your going to make a revolver...make one in something exotic. Elmer Keith's book "Sixguns" shows a rather large custom single action in ...45-70 !
Now you don't see those every day .

Good luck ,
Gary

I've always wanted a Luger in .44AMP (Auto Mag Pistol)... I'd gladly settle for one in .45 Win Mag.

Yowser!!!

(You're so picky I bet you'd want it to survive more than one round too!)

You're so picky I bet you'd want it to survive more than one round too!)

I am, and I would. :D

The toggle action is very efficient. The toggle system was used in the Maxim machine gun (the British Vickers and the German Spandau), and numerous other weapons.

A Luger, properly scaled and made of the right materials would take the pressure. The LAR Grizzly is a "properly scaled" to the .45 Win Mag 1911A1.

It could be done. It can't be affordably done, and would take a dedicated "mad machinist" to do it, but it could be done.

The frame would have to be made from scratch, not welded together from a couple of cut Luger frames the way some .45ACP Lugers were made.

Think about it, ok it will come out being close to the size of a Desert Eagle, but it would look soo freakin cool!!! :D

If you're going to the Moon, why not go to Mars?? (ok Mars is cold as hell, so..why go? but if you are going anyway why not go with a bit of real class?? :D )

I have a few chunks of mystery steel, a 40x110mm, 66x140 and a 37x190. I’m sure I can get a hold of some more.
Let’s say it’s mild steel, just how thick would the cylinder walls needs to be?
A 44 Auto mag Luger sounds like a Monster. I wonder if, to get it to work, it would look more like a old Borchardt pistol. Of course if the design was modified and boasted with a selection of titanium parts....

Look at a first generation Colt SAA .45.
Of course they did have to reduce the load because cylinders were failing proof test.

Back