Cabelas: Back door voluntary gun registration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing the Point

or choosing to ignore it.

If I tell you that I don't want to give you that information, you have no right to it. By telling you that I don't want to give it to you, I assume responsibility for any necessary contact between us.

And, "NO!" I repeat, we won't be doing any business together. You don't seem to understand the concept I'm describing, why would I trust you to protect any information I gave you? If you depended on people like me to make a living, you'd starve from your own refusal to understand their wishes.

Phone number, give it, don't give it, I couldn't care less. Personally I would give out my phone number all day long, heck, even print it on my shirt for everyone to see if I didn't have to give out my address to anyone. I don't wanna pick up the phone, I don't, period. I don't have the option of preventing someone from showing up at my doorstep.

Which brings me back to my question from earlier... I will ask more nice, lol.

Could somebody please tell me why a phone number would make or break a hunt for you? Maybe you all just get to put your name on an 4433 or whatever else you fill out? Bob, yup sir, that's right just Bob, here's your form, run the check please.

why would I trust you to protect any information I gave you?

If you knew Ken, you would trust him.

If the rooskis invaded and went to his shop (or the silly scenario of your choice) he would fight them by the light of a 4473s bonfire wielding two Nagant revolvers, wearing a Budyenny helmet with a colander facemask, a dress and high-heels, screaming "Sniff my thong, vile swine!".

Nobody would want any part of that action, and your info would be smoke in the Alaskan sky. Torture wouldn't work either, the aliens have been trying to get information from him for years, but he likes the probing. Never gives up anything no matter the gauge of the Zorg keisterscrambler they use. Stalwart lad.

Otherwise the biggest problem you would have would be killer deals on guns nobody else can get.

Kenny knows where I live and I feel relatively safe.:D

I wonder how bobh expects people to run a buisness, i guess when your used to buying guns in a dark alley from a hooded salesmen who wipes the gun down before handling it to you, the idea of the salesmen actually knowing your name may indeed seem odd.:rolleyes:

Kenny knows where I live and I feel relatively safe

Until I show up at your door wielding two Nagant revolvers, wearing a Budyenny helmet with a colander facemask, a dress and high-heels, while screaming "Sniff my thong, vile swine!".:D:D

WildanddudethatthongwillbequiteyummyafterthelongplaneridetoyourplaceAlaska TM:D

I just love that colander!

Until I show up at your door wielding two Nagant revolvers, wearing a Budyenny helmet with a colander facemask, a dress and high-heels, while screaming "Sniff my thong, vile swine!".

WildanddudethatthongwillbequiteyummyafterthelongplaneridetoyourplaceAlaska

Oh Gawd! Someone PLEASE HELP ME SCRUB THIS PICTURE FROM MY MIND!!!

this has happened to me before at cabelas and sportsmans warehouse. when they ask for my # i say it is unlisted. if they insist i always say my # is (fill in your own area code) 555=1212. i figure it always works in the movies. i have done this a number of times and only once at sportsmans warehouse did the salesman catch on. he stopped writting, looked at me like i was crazy, shook his head and continued writing. i got my gun he walked me to the front door and that was that.

i'm not sure why they ask for your phone # but if the really needed it i figure there would be a space for it on the form. they get enuff info and i don't like giving them any more than required.

My local shop does the same thing. I asked why, they said even though two people double check the 4473 forms they occasionally need to contact the individual who filled it out because there was a mistake in the paperwork or to call them to clear a 3 day hold.

That phone number could be a pre-paid house or cell number or just something random I make up. It's actually usually my home number, if the ATF wants to find me they have my address and SSN on the stupid form to find me.

BobH said:
My point is that your desire to do business does not trump my right to privacy if I insist upon it. It is not my role in life to make it easier for you to profit from my trade. In fact, your profit is, IMO, justification for constraining your trade to my desire for privacy.
Once upon a time, I had something I purchased from Wildalaska stolen. It was insured, but I didn't have a copy of the receipt, so I told my insurance agent to call Wild. The agent called me back ten minutes later; apparently, Wild told the agent to do something anatomically impossible. I think my info is safe with him. :D

Hi: I'm Glenn!

I gave my phone number to the gun smith where I bought a used gun and he did some work on it! He called me.

Can a Higher Power save me?

BTW, when I bought a pistol at Cabelas ( big sale), I don't remember this song and dance. I just showed my CHL and bought it.

Wait, the black heliocopters are over TX and I hear shots at the Cracker Barrel.

Another BTW, since you posted here - the evil overlords coming for your guns can probably find your identity fairly quickly.

Along these same lines, I went to Dick's Sporting Goods last week. Picked out the guns I wanted. Pulled out my CCW and drivers license. He said he didn't need the CCW. They won't accept CCW anymore, they must make the call. He said it is new policy. However, before I got my CCW, my background check was delayed EVERY time--which is one of the reasons for the CCW. And, he wanted the phone number on the top of the 4473, along with no abreviations, all states and such had to be spelled out. And, where it says "optional" for your social security number, he says "required". I grudgingly complied, only saying that since I'm delayed so much--there will be NO SALE if I'm delayed. Dick's is such a long drive for me, I'm not going back another time.
I have no room for retailers that want to trump my rights and make me jump thru hoops. I've only done business with them once, and that is enough for me.

Until I show up at your door wielding two Nagant revolvers, wearing a Budyenny helmet with a colander facemask, a dress and high-heels, while screaming "Sniff my thong, vile swine!"
Well, at least you'll be wearing clothes this time :p

We ask for phone numbers in case a mistake is found on the form. Sometimes control numbers or serial numbers get transposed, and we don't catch it until we're matching the books later on. It'd be nice to clear the whole thing up with a ten-second phone call.

As Al mentioned, giving out that information to an unauthorized third party is absolutely verboten, not to mention bad business. Frankly, my phone number is about the least compromising piece of personal information someone could have on me.

As far as big-box retailers refusing to bypass the NICS check with a CCW, I may be able to offer some explanation.

There have been massive sting operations over the last few years on gun dealers. Some have been busted, rightfully or not, and as a result, they're playing everything as close to the vest as possible. Some are insisting on calling the check in, even with a permit, to cover all possible bases.

The larger a corporation, the greater its aversion to possible liability. Cabela's and Dick's likely have an army of attorneys telling them to do this so as to reduce potential risk. This sort of thing is in no way exclusive to the gun business.

Does Cabela's not just fill the form and give a pass for folks with a CCW?

I never bought a gun there but every other place has made me fill out the form (but then doesn't call it in) even though I have my CHL.

Now that I think of it, it doesn't make sense. Why fill it out if it's not necessary? I suppose the business needs it it for their records to establish what happened to that particular gun, but why not just use a bill of sale?

As for what happened at Cabela's, I applaud you for aggressively going after the information, etc. You are doing me - and all legal gun owners - a favor. Thank you.

Now that I think of it, it doesn't make sense. Why fill it out if it's not necessary? I suppose the business needs it it for their records to establish what happened to that particular gun, but why not just use a bill of sale?
It is necessary. An FFL has to have a 4473 for every gun sold. That's a federal requirement. Think of it as a very thorough, government mandated bill-of-sale. Some state CHL/CCW permits exempt the seller from having to call in the NICS check.

At issue here is the fact that some retailers insist on calling in the NICS check, despite the presence of a permit that exempts the buyer and seller from having to perform it.

It is necessary. An FFL has to have a 4473 for every gun sold. That's a federal requirement. Think of it as a very thorough, government mandated bill-of-sale. Some state CHL/CCW permits exempt the seller from having to call in the NICS check.

OK, I get that the law requires it, but it is still unnecessary in that the form is designed to collect information which will be used to determine whether I am legally entitled to buy a firearm when, in fact, my CHL already establishes that fact. I do understand the 'sophisticated bill of sale' concept but then they should not require you to answer all of the questions (are you a fugitive from justice? Yes, with a CHL.). Then again, Federal law trumps state law, so I'm still checking yes, no, no, no...

But the discussion is academic since 1) I don't mind filling out the form, and 2) since when do government regulations make sense?

I was mostly just airing my stream-of-consciousness thoughts.

I give out my home phone number to businesses all the time. It doesn't have a phone hooked to it, goes straight to fax. I don't care what they do with it. If they send a fax, it'll show up on my wife's computer. If I really want them to get hold of me, I'll give them my cell number.

Until recently I was in sales, and my real cellphone number and a couple of my real email addresses were scattered about online. Now they're secret.:cool::p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back