CA is almost there. Microstamping bill signed into law

Now of course all law abiding criminals will never replace the firing pin or file off the microstamping - that would be illegal.

Dumping empty brass picked up at a range will also never be done - that would probably not be lawful either.

Mass. has almost identical laws concerning handguns, I'm sure this will be their next law as well.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Any legal eagles here know if this can be fought and overturned?? I know the CA courts won't help out, so is it a lost cause that'll be permanent?

Worthless?

I think all this will do is make guns more expensive to purchase in Cali. In the end the stamp can easily be filed or replacement parts acquired by criminals.

Well, of course we thought about replacement parts. And personally, I think the lawmakers know it.

But millions of sheeple don't, but they'll vote for the lawmaker that helped save their lives from horrible gun crime...

Hm, doesn't kick in until 2010; Would I be right to suppose that this is to provide time so that as many states as possible can duplicate this insanity before it's proven by experience to not work? Because, normally, they'd be in a hurry to impose something like this.

In case some of you missed it, the purpose of laws like this is to make the firearm too expensive for "the little people" to own. This of course, assumes that the gun makers even decide to retool in order to sell in CA.

At which point, the anti-gun folks will have won, as there will be no new guns to buy.

As for Law Enforcement, this new law only applies to new guns on the list. The police aren't restricted to buying from the list.

It is unclear at the moment whether or not this applies to all semi-auto handguns on the list or just new guns trying to make the list, after 2010.

I would think that this will affect handloaders as well. How many times can a case be stamped before the metal becomes unusable?

Brett? [sarcasm] Of course not! This is meant to allow the makers time to retool! [/sarcasm]

. This technology, known as "microstamping," consists of engraving microscopic characters representing the make, model and serial number of a handgun onto its firing pin and other internal surfaces. These characters transfer onto the bullet shell casing when the handgun is fired.

:eek: Can that really be done...
that is crazy... i think it is time to by a muzzle loader:confused:

Well, now I wonderin how long this worthless law will make its way here to Illinois considering we mimick california.

what is crazy is Arizona is right next door.............. :eek:

Let's see, today I'll use the stock microstamped firing pin, and tomorrow I'll use the one microstamped with THIS.

seal.gif

Gun 'Microstamping' Bill Passes California Senate

Gun 'Microstamping' Bill Passes California Senate
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
August 25, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - The California Senate on Thursday passed a bill that would require the "microstamping" of semi-automatic handguns -- giving cartridges fired from those guns a unique imprint, which according to gun control advocates, would help police solve crimes.

Supporters say microstamping would turn spent cartridges into potential evidence in civil and criminal cases. According the California Million Mom March, "when the police retrieve the bullet casing at a crime scene, they can quickly track down the legal owner of the handgun that fired it."

Nonsense, say Second Amendment supporters, who view the bill as yet another attempt to burden gun manufacturers and further restrict gun sales in the state. They say that gun makers, faced with the added expense of microstamping semiautomatic weapons, would either stop selling their wares in California or drastically raise prices.

The bill (AB 352) would "expand the definition of unsafe handgun to include semiautomatic pistols that are not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters, that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched into the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and which are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired."

The bill passed the California Senate 22-18 and it now goes to the Assembly -- for a "fight and a final vote," said the California NRA Members' Councils, a grassroots gun-rights network.

The bill's lead sponsor, Assemblyman Paul Koretz (D-West Hollywood) acting in tandem with the Coalition to Stop Handgun Violence, has been fighting to pass the bill since last year.

Griffin Dix, the president of the California Million Mom March Chapters, said police fail to make an arrest in approximately 45 percent of all homicides in California because they lack the evidence they need. "This bill will help police...by providing them with new and meaningful leads for solving handgun crimes," Dix said.

But the California NRA Members' Councils says the microstamping would create false evidence trails.

"Micro-stamped cartridge cases fired and abandoned at government agencies facilities or private shooting ranges could be gathered and used to 'seed' crime scenes with the with 'evidence,' implicating law enforcement officers and citizens" in crimes they had nothing to do with, the group said in an analysis on its website.

The gun-rights group also said microstamped cartridges could not be recycled because they might implicate secondary users of reloaded cartridges. "Millions of pounds of metals will be turned into scrap and require expense disposal requirements imposed so it will not enter landfills."

And without the ability to sell and recycle used (microstamped) cartridge cases, the cost of firearms training will increase for government agencies, the gun rights group added.

Second Amendment supporters also note that microstamps can be easily defeated by replacing parts of the handgun that have been stamped; polishing the microstamp with abrasives or modifying the stamp; and in some cases, the stamped markings may be filled in with residue produced by normal firing of the gun.

Paul Helmke, the new president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, applauded the California State Senate for "embracing this innovative technology," and he said he hopes Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger "will listen to a fellow Republican and sign this bill once it passes."

Second Amendment supporters, meanwhile, say they will mobilize grassroots opposition to the bill in an effort to prevent it from landing on the governor's desk.

This has to be my favorite statement...
"when the police retrieve the bullet casing at a crime scene, they can quickly track down the legal owner of the handgun that fired it."
Which, of course, will be so helpful in the case of stolen firearms, revolvers, and those with alterations done (oh, not that criminals would do that of course).

Another good (anti-microstamping) article here

dbsoundguy said:
Can that really be done...

In a manner of speaking, it's already been done.

In the diamond industry, gem stones are already cut with a little 'girdle' that wraps around the circumference.

On this little belt, a laser cuts a serial number so the stone and all of its sales transactions can be traced.

I'll google a pic and edit it in when I find one.

http://www.kings1912.com/diamond.htm

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a diamond with a sample number.

Oh Yea...good idea...because the dopes who run around shooting people are ALWAYS using a GUN that THEY bought and is registered or identified TO THEM...

PFFFT. Stupid shizzit here...

All in Cali, better buy up one of those hanging brass catchers for all your guns. Don't want some criminal picking up your brass and scattering it at their next hit.

Imagine, the police find brass that you fired at a range at a crimescene. They get a warrant to enter your home, take all your guns, arrest you, fine you, etc.... How many months before you get your weapons back? How many years before you get the gun back that they found casings matching to?

Friggin stupid stuff here. The writers of this bill should be slapped!

This is simply another addition ot the Patriot act. Where they can not get a warrantless search, they will fill it in with this law now.

It isn't bad enough that a law-abiding citizen has his firearms stolen, now the govt. is going to harrass him, arrest him, send him to jail and make him pay for an attorney to get him out, have to pay legal fees, court fees, jail fees...UGH! And you have to deal with explaining it to your job on top of it all, if you still have one by the time you get out. Then you get to tell your family what happened. How many folks are going to believe your story and how many are going to form a bad opinion of you?

Worthless law, how many handguns are already in existence that are not micro stamped... I've read there are around 200 million (sounds a little high though). I wonder who the genius was that thought up this one?

Back