By Request: non-gun, Blues music thread

• Thread starter Thread starter DC
  • Start date Start date
Jimi Hendrix, Albert Collins, Leadbelly, Rev. Gary Davis, Son House, Little Walter, etc., etc...

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Don't forget Etta James. Also, the original group of Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood) of the early 70s could crank out some pretty good blues (Live at The Boston Tea Party).

------------------

man oh man i am singin da blues all da time
the harmonica & base drum are a bit hard to play on the metro, but hey!
;)

going down to the gunshow
gonna get me some mo' ammo
going down to the gunshow
gotta get me some mo' ammo

-dZ

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Stevey Ray Vaughn, JAKE & ELWOOD are a few that come to mind.. 12-34hom.

Wow! Some great names listed here, some I've never heard of, some I haven't heard in a long time. Now I gotta go find some of these more obscure artists and their music. Blind Lemon Jefferson is one I would love to hear again, thanks for the reminder on him Art.

A thought just occurred to me... (ouch) Why have we seen only a couple of women listed here? Etta James, Koko Taylor, Bilie Holiday, Janis Joplin, Bonnie Raitt and others were and are great blues singers.

Hmmm... of course my own blues collection is 99% male... oh the hypocracy. I do love the ladies but sometimes it takes a man to really sing the blues.

Here's one last obscure/old-time artist: Peetie Wheatstraw.

Keep up the good work on this thread, very enjoyable.

TheBluesMan - Very good point about the ladies. We can never forget Bessie Smith ("St. Louis Blues").

But when you think about it, aren't they the reason most of the blues were written?

Give me T-Bone Walker, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Magic Sam, Etta James, Big Mama Thornton, Alberta Hunter, Lonnie Johnson, Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Lightnin' Hopkins, Koko Taylor, Big Bill Broonzy, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, The Kings(Albert, Freddie, Earl and BB), Otis Rush, Ike Turner, Sonny Boy Williamson, Elmore James, Junior Wells, Otis Spann, Luther Allison, Bobby Blue Bland, Percy Mayfield, Louis Jordan, Peter Green, Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Coco Montoya, Johnny Winter, Tab Benoit, Robert Cray, Joe Louis Walker and many, many more.

------------------
"GottaShoot30, GottaShoot27, GottaShoot23, GottaShootKimber - I just wish I had more time"

[This message has been edited by bluesman (edited July 08, 1999).]

Damn! How could I have forgotten Blind Willie McTell and his "Statesboro Blues". The man used to hitchhike from Thomson to Statesboro through my hometown.

I only saw his name mentioned once so far, but I think that the "Greatest Unknown Guitar Player in the World" deserves some more attention.

Roy Buchanan. Check out his live album and be prepared to have shivers run up and down your spine.

What that man could do with a Telecaster!...

Now he and SRV are jammin with Jimi up in that big ol' Blues club in the sky!

GOT to love those Electric Blues!

I had to reopen this thread to see if any of you have heard the music of Diana Krall. I was on a transcon flight last week and she had a cut on the airplanes jazz track. I'm probably way behind in keeping up with modern jazz/blues artists. This lady has a very smooth voice, she reminds me of a female Mel Torme. It was probably the low oxygen atmosphere of the plane, but the song she sang was very enjoyable, I listened to it several times and I think those who like jazz and blues will like her. Just ordered the album.

Also, while I'm here, I was looking through some old albums and I can't believe we forgot some of the great blues guitarists like Duke Robillard and Jimmy Rogers.

I saw John Lee Hooker live 2 nights ago....nanner, nanner :)

He has still got it..what is he like 105 yrs old or something?

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Well call you "Ms. Lucky"! I think he's around 82, he just looks 105. All that good clean livin' I suppose. But the last time I heard him he still played like he was 42.

Not really Blues related - but kinda...

Lust Lizard of Pine Cove written by Chris Moore.

Funny book - has a charicter in it that is a Blues singer...
Dang Good Read.
check it out.

Oh, bugger off, ya git. ;)

Yeah, he's old as dirt, but the man still gots it.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Just for fun-

Remember DC's post above in Italian?

Altavista translates it into:Hello the cousins... The relative bond averli behind, you has been lacked. Hour, you must call some of your favorite artists.

Well, I guess the use of Italian to send secret messages is safe if this is the best translation we can find. :)

I noticed an article in the National Geographic for April, 1999, called "Blues Highway". Runs from pg 42 to 69 with lots of pictures of folks havin' fun. Look for the issue with the cover story, "Return to the Battle of Midway".

If it's a good article, glad I told ya. If it's a bad article, I just don't know no better, okay?

Anyone remember Judy Henske? She was with Dave Gard and the Whiskey Hill Singers in the early sixties, then went out as a single. She was as fine a blues singer as I have ever heard until she went commercial.

Also don't forget Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee.

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee? You must have watched the old Steve Martin film "The Jerk" last weekend. They did the movie's closing theme "Pick a bale of cotton." Of course it could just be coincidence that you happened to pair up a couple of great blues artists, but I couldn't resist asking. Oh, BTW, the above song was written by none other than Huddie Ledbetter, aka Leadbelly, king of the 12 string guitar.

Here a few I have not seen mentioned yet. Jimmy Smith, Ron Levy and Bruce Katz, all Hammond B3 players. Ronnie Earl, Steve Earle and Erik Bibb and are pretty good pickers.

Re: Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. No, I didn't see the movie you mentioned. I saw Sonny and Brownie performing together in L.A. several times during the early sixties. Apparently they worked together off and on for many years. I have two albums by them, "Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee in London", (Marble #843) and "Brownie and Sonny" (Everest #FS-242). According to the record jackets, they played in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" on Broadway 1955-1957 and in the road show version in 1958.

GREAT MUSIC!

Back