By Request: non-gun, Blues music thread

• Thread starter Thread starter DC
  • Start date Start date
OK, I see that you's guys are talking about the white boy bluze. Clapton is great but, down here in the hot old stinky SOUTH is where it was born.
Just the oppinion of an old man who was born and raised in the South.
Hank

Sorry Folks, The Blues is The Blues! The Blues belong to all of us!
This was supposed to be a lighthearted thread. I just like the Blues a bunch too!
Hank

I agree Hank

Hence the "Brit" qualifier...let 'em get it out and then we go for the real stuff :)

I saw a thing on TV once, can't recall when or any particulars.....it was kinda like a Charles Osgood thing where the guy was going to these tiny little towns in the South...swampy little places...the point was Blues and he is going to these beat up buildings and stuff.....absolutely fantastic, some names, but most was homegrown regular talent

I love the atmospere of stale beer and stinky cigarettes and BLUES!

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

DC, Not much swampy about what I'm talking about. I'm talking 1000 acre fields to work by hand. Thus "The Blues" The Swamps are regulated or are in Louisiana!
Best, Hank

I must say, I am in heaven. Thanks for the Blues thread DC!!

For those just looking to start out with the blues I suggest anything by Muddy Waters, BB King, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, Elmore James or Sonny Boy Williamson. (aka Rice Miller, you'll find out there were two of them)

For those interested in the history of the Blues, I would suggest reading "Deep Blues" by Robert Palmer. It's like reading a college textbook at times, but incredibly informative.

Further exploration of little known or older style bluesmen would have to include Pinetop Perkins, Charley Patton, James Cotton, Son House, Otis Rush and Hudie Ledbetter (aka Leadbelly).

My personal timeless favorites include Robert Jr. Lockwood, Junior Wells, BB King, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix and my main man Buddy Guy.

If you are in Chicago and on the south side, stop by Buddy Guy's Legends night club. You will see a great blues band almost every night. I saw Buddy there in January of '97 and it hooked me on the blues for life.

A great place here in Ohio for blues is Fat Fish Blue in Cleveland. You can still see Robert Lockwood every Wednesday night for free. He's 84 years old and still plays a great 12 string guitar. He's the stepson of Robert Johnson and can play like no one else alive today.

For newer blues, I would recommend Keb' Mo', Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Indiginous. (Would love to see comments on any and all of these newbies)

One last note: To dZ,

You are in the wrong line of work,

you should be singin' the Blues...

or at least writin' them.

I really like Kenny ...but, I need to see that he'll last and not sell out....he's a kid and is reaching the top too fast.
Blues is pain, aches and sufferin ;)

------------------

Now I'm singing the taxpayin an workin bluze,
gotta go down on the street and make a buck, don't know why I even give a care. I'm sangin the old taxpayers bluzze.
Good night my friends, I must wake in 5 hrs to be able to pay my taxes!
Best to all, Hank

Kenny is a great talent, I'll be watching him too, hopefully he won't be playing any pop tunes and will stick to his roots. If you like him, you must be into some real rockin' blues. How about Hendrix? Joplin? Any others?

Keb' Mo' is a more spiritual, country, gospel-blues singer. I highly recommend his disk Just Like You. He has also covered a Robert Johnson tune on every one of his albums. Stickin' to his roots, I like that.

Yeah, Lightnin' was cool. He played the old "Id" coffee house in Austin, and the "Eleventh Door" folk club. He had a side man name of Shorty, playin' washboard, usin' church-keys. Shorty did indeed like his wine...Sorta got the nods during any of Lightnin's longer runs. Got a chuckle out of Lightnin' giggin' Shorty with his knee to get him back on track...Shorty never missed a beat.

Last time I had a chance to visit with Lightnin' was around 4AM one Saturday mornin'. He was comin' off a gig, and I was heading off deer hunting. Went to his gig, that next evenin'; gave him half a backstrap. Forget the club; down on Red River St. in Austin...Lightnin' had a little ol' evil chuckle, put goose bumps all over a woman.

Mance Lipscomb, the Navasota Blues Man was one helluva 12-string picker. Kurt Van Sickle spent a good bit of time with Mance, learning some of his licks.

Don't forget Josh White. Still got his 1958-ish album, "Josh at Midnight". Another tough album was "Strange Fruit" (Strange fruit hang from trees in the South...") Saw him in the Village around January of 19-and-60. His son, Josh, Jr., played Kerrville one time I was there; we spent some time gettin' acquainted, under the Drinking Tree behind the stage.

Muddy Waters, Sonny Terry, Blind Lemon Jefferson...Yeah...

Not to affront all you purists out there, but I'll have bring in British(!), blues based Led Zeppelin here.

How about "Since I've Been Loving You", from Zeppelin III?

After four and a half ungraduated years at Boston's Berklee College of Music (And Insufferable Showbiz-Type Wanna-Bes), I continue to regress into a near post-pubescent head banger.

After all, I'm TNT. I'm dynamite. Oy.

-boing

[This message has been edited by boing (edited July 07, 1999).]

i had forgot Leadbelly, glad somebody brought him up. Jonny Lang is good. you'd never think he was so young to listen to sing. somebody sent me a tape of a guy, Billy Peek, he's pretty good. he's got a song " Can a white boy play the blues" that's alright. that's what i like about my satellite dish. they've got a music channel that ain't nothin' but the blues.. aaawwww, it's sweet :)

------------------
what me worry?

DC,

Here I is!!!!!

Nice topic, I must say.

Favorites? I have several hundred! ;)

Thanks for catching my eye and luring me out of my lair.

I'm around, just in lurk mode.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Ciao il cugino...
Il relativo buono averli indietro, voi è stato mancato. Ora, dovete
chiamare alcuni dei vostri artisti favoriti.

------------------

One of the few shows on pb tv was a show covering the blues........they started witht he missippi delta source--hot guitar licks, etc and they discussed the piedmont style as well ...the show talked about how the blues players followed the tracks and the lumber cutting camps to chicago and How some of the players would sit a player piano and follow the notes with there fingers to learn to play.....also covered how the same thing was done in missippi on a wall they would stretch strings to teach themselves the chords..........it was the best show I ever saw by them and covered some absolute pioneers unfortunately I failed to record that show.....if it appears anywhere again please record it and Ill pay for the tape and shipping...........
I realize this is on blues.......but does anyone care for early Jazz?
If so there was writer name of Leonard Feather, that traveled with all of the old greats and wrote extensively on them, my library locally has three of his books and two have been never returned......but the one I read was a very good read......fubsy.

Jelly Roll Morton
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
B.B. King
Z.Z. Hill
HOWLING WOLF
Johnny Winter
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Kennie Wayne Shepherd

I saw BB King last September. Anyone know who the dude is playing guitar with him? The man is phenomenol is his own right.

Grew up in San Francisco. My parents always gave me a bad time for listening to "that" music. Loved it. Got hooked on Jimmy Reed way back in the late 40's.
There was a blues movie, CROSSROADS, that had some good music in it. My only gripe is they hardly ever finished a song. Good movie though.
Paul B.

Lots of great names above. A long-time SRV fan here, first and foremost, saw him in Austin once many years ago (summer of `83, if I recall through the alcohol haze). Here's some others, in alphabetical order, that I listen to often:

Albert Collins
Blind Boy Fuller
Buddy Guy
Alvin Youngblood Hart
Lonnie Mack
Darrel Nulisch and Texas Heat
Little Junior Parker
Kelly Joe Phelps

Great topic!

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

damn, there's another one i forgot, the ICE MAN, Albert Collins. thanks DonL, now i have to go look through my tapes and find "Ice Pickin'".

------------------
what me worry?

Back