By Request: non-gun, Blues music thread

• Thread starter Thread starter DC
  • Start date Start date

DC

Moderator Emeritus
This was requested by a few members. It should be fun, lighthearted and enjoyable to those that like the Blues. And, maybe it will flush out one of our perennially furtive moderators, Blues ;)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

alrighty then. Lightin' Hopkins has got to be one of my favorites. he's just raw Texas blues. i've read that the people playin' w/ him on a album or live had a hell of a time tryin' to keep up w/ him. seems he was liable to stay on a chord longer than was expected, or might go off in some other direction altogether, depending on what he felt like doing. but i love listenin' to him. of course you have Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker. Johnny Winters is hell on the guitar, and Duane Allman, love his slide playing. of course there's alot more, but those are my favorites.... next!! :)

------------------
what me worry?

lets see.....
ry cooder
robert johnson
memphis slim
big bill broozy
lighting slim
stevie ray vaughn
bill jackson
................fubsy.

I heard over the weekend that John Popper (of Blues Traveler) was in the hospital with chest pains. Hope he's doing OK.

da- thump, wah wah
da- thump, wha wha

I so down hearted baby...
Janet Reno took my gun
i so down trodden baby
i can'na tell ya what i done
jack booted thugs come call'in
an now i'm on da run

i got the blues baby
got the NICs check blues
i got the blues baby
an i'm faid i'm gonna loose
i'm like a frog in da water

Mr Jefferson, please help me
and tell me what to do
Patrick Henry, please help me
and tell me what to do
the waters gettin hotter

i got the blues baby
got the NICs check blues
i got the blues baby
i'm like a frog in da water

i seen the signs baby
i know i got to choose
i read the signs baby
i know i got to choose

cause when an eagle
nips the president
it ain't no time to snooze

>>>>>>
:)
thank you, thank you very much

dZ

Let's not forget Eric Clapton, Jonny Lang, BB King, ZZ Top, Bobby Bland, Jimmy Whitherspoon, Memphis Slim, and Jimmy Reed just to name a few.

[This message has been edited by SFC (edited July 06, 1999).]

OK,
I'm not into the Blues, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. ;) If one of you Blues people would suggest one album for me to buy as my intro, what would it be? Please specify artist and album title, so I might be able to find it. Also, what is the best way to listen to the Blues?

Walkin' Man,

Anything by Mississippi John Hurt is a good intro.

As far as the best way to listen... half to three-quarters blitzed on MD20/20 or malt liquor usually works for me. :)

------------------
You can't get something for nothing,
You can't have freedom for free.
--Neil Peart

The best intro is live in a scuzzy dive club on a hot evening...beer and shooters.

------------------

I like Stevie Ray, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray. One of my favorites is Al Miller Wildcards (great Chicago style blues).

------------------
Ron

Detroit Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Scoiety

You can not go wrong with Eric Clapton "From the Cradle" or "The Pilgrim". Jonny Lang "Lie To Me". BB King "Greatest Hits" or "The Best of Friends by John Lee Hooker" all these are great CD's by some great Blues Artists.

walkin' man - First buy a ticket to Chicago, take a cab to Rush St. and hang out there for a coupla days. If you get sober during the trip, then you're doing something wrong...

Or, you can get an album of the guy who essentially started this thread going - Sonny Boy Williamson. One of my favorites is "The Real Folk Blues". It's sort of a "best of" type of album. It's available on Amazon.com along with many many others.

Having grown up in and around Memphis, Blues has just always been there. In my younger and wilder days, Beale Street on Saturday night, all the Blues you can handle. OH YEAH!

Acually, my tastes run more to other types of music, but Baby, when them blues is playin', I starts to swayin'!

B.B. King is da man! Talk to me, Lucile!
"The thrill is gone, baby, the thrill is gone"

Ok, Ok, You guy's save up and come on down here for the Delta Blues Festival. Folk's like Son Thomas played on this stage as well as where the Blue's got their foundation.
The Mississippi Delta. Most of these great folks have passed on to greater things and I dammed sure miss them.
Try The Blues Alley on Front St. in Memphis or if you want't I'll try and see if I can catch up with my young friend BB King.
Best in the Blues, Hank

For you Clapton fans...
(of which I am a rabid one...get a few drinks in me and I proclaim his godhood ;))

a seminal work..
White Boy Blues with Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and John Mayall
cuts:
Snakedrive, Tribute to Elmore, I'm your Witchdoctor and others.

Realize, these Brit boys are good, but they ain't authentic. There are a ton of fine Blues clubs in St. Louis too...sorry I can't recall the names as I was kinda blitzed :)

------------------

[This message has been edited by DC (edited July 06, 1999).]

DC: What a great thread!! I owe much to BB King, whose song "The Thrill is Gone" nursed my wounds through my divorce. By virtue of its personal reference, it tugs on the old heart strings each time I heart it. Recently, I was able to see BB at the Arena Theatre in Houston - Awesome.

Back