Buying my first handgun - help needed!

Based on all the information provided so far I would suggest a revolver for carry, a six shot with a 3ish inch barrel. I would save up for an auto after that though, probably not for carry but definitely for HD.

Hallo guys, thanks for advice so far!

Today I checked all the other local gun shops for what they offer and now I can complete my list of available handguns with these options:

Pistols:
*Glock 26 in good condition with 1 magazine = 460$;
*Glock 19 in really good condition with 2 magazines = 460$.

Revolvers:
*Taurus 85 in good condition (as I understood the shop had few of them) = 140$;
*Taurus .38 Spl (I think it also was Taurus, although it didn't have any model stamp on the frame) - new = 220$;
*S&W .357 Magnum with 5 round capacity (hammerless - it didn't have any model stamp on it [definitely didn't find BODYGUARD on it) in stainless steel and with 2" barrel - in good condition = 400$.

Can someone please comment on those additions to the available handgun list? Also, can someone explain what are actually the differences between hammerless revolver and one with a hammer (pros/cons)? Which model could that S&W revolver be?

Thanks guys - you've helped alot!

At those prices Glock 19 &/or Glock 26.
+ a Makarov or 4.

I ccw a Glock 19 while in the states but work overseas. In an office environment - you'd probably want a smaller pistol that is easier to conceal. Glock 26 is chunky but doable. The Makarov will disappear.

Pass on the Taurus / Rossi revolvers altogether. If you really want a revolver hold out for a K or L frame Smith & Wesson or Ruger 357.

The S&W is a 640. I've owned one in the past - I'd pass on that as well. Just not an easy or pleasant gun to shoot.

mak

With no doubt....the Makarov.
It is ultra reliable, accurate, and cheap to shoot.
The last feature is important as this is your first handgun. You should practice as much as possible and more shooting is possible at 25 cents a round than at 40 cents a shot.
I own a commercial Russian made Mak that has had CASES of cheap ammo through it and has NEVER failed to fire.
Buy the Makarov.
Pete

The prices on the used Glocks are not bad, and certainly would tempt me here - I carry a G26 every day and really like it - but I still think those Makarovs are real steals, as long as you are certain of an ongoing ammo supply. If you are at all uncertain about the 9x18 ammo remaining available, I would jump on one of those Glocks pretty quick, though. Which one is your choice - some people (like me) really prefer the G26 for concealment, and others feel like they conceal the G19 just as well.

I have a H&K USP blank pistol copy laying around and today I tried to conceal it in my typical everyday outfit (which is basically pants + long sleeved casual dress shirt which I wear tucked) as in an appendix IWB carry method (I don't have a holster for it - just put it behind my belt to and tucked shirt around to see if it would print). That gun is pretty much the same size as a Glock 19 (only 1/8" higher at the grip) and unfortunately I understood that I won't be able to comfortably conceal it (or any other same size handgun for that matter). Maybe holsters help a bit, but the main problem was that I couldn't really sit down - it would stick in my groin area and in my stomach. Also, the end of the grip did print a bit, although not much - could possibly live with that. Though the gun is large enough and I couldn't really conceal it in any other way than carrying in an appendix IWB holster. I have a shoulder holster for that blank pistol and that gun was still too big to conceal so that it wouldn't print in a suit type jacket which I could add to my wardrobe. Also tried to place it on my hip IWB and it also was too big for that - grip was printing a lot. Between I'm 5'10", 155-160lb so I'm not the biggest guy, which might explain why this size of pistol could be a problem to conceal especially in an office style tucked outfit.

So basically this cuts my options down to:
Pistols:
1) Makarov = 80-120$ (many used in good condition - one mag - probably will be able to find extra mags locally);
2) SigSauer P230 = 195-345$ (used in good condition. Gun for 345$ being as new with two mags, two other cheaper options with one mag - maybe will need to order extra mags from US);
3) SigSauer P232 = 345$ (used in good condition - one mag - probably will need to order extra mags from US);
4) Beretta 84F = 345-460$ (used in good condition - one mag - probably will need to order extra mags from US);
5) Beretta 85F = 460$ (used in good condition - two mags);
6) Glock 26 = 460$ (used in good condition - one mag - probably will be able to find extra mags locally).
Revolvers (I'm pretty sure I'll have to order holsters for either of these revolvers from US as there are only few options available locally):
1) S&W (probably model 640 - 5 rounds, .357 Magnum, with enclosed hammer) = 400$ (used in good condition - most likely will need to order speedloaders from US);
2) Taurus 85 = 140$ (used in good condition - will need to order speedloaders from US);
3) Other previously mentioned Taurus and Rossi models (will need to order speedloaders from US).

So basically if I'll decide on a revolver I will go for that S&W as it is the only quality peace I can get for a reasonable price, also I should be able to conceal it the best as it has an enclosed hammer. If it'll be sold already I think that my second best bet would be a brand new Taurus or other Taurus in good condition (probably the best is to buy the newest model available - or maybe the oldest one?).

If I'll decide on semi-auto pistol it seems that I should basically decide between Makarov and a Glock 26, because if I'm about to spend 230$+ (which is the price of 2nd cheapest of 3 available P230's) for a handgun my best choice would be a Glock 26 (not the Sig P230, P232 or any of the Beretta's) mostly because it's power, capacity, and size/weight (and other Glock system related features). If I'm going to spend less than 230$ for a semi-auto it basically is a choice between Makarov and a Sig P230, in which case I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Makarov, as it is cheaper, it is pretty much indestructible and I'll have a lot of parts and ammo available locally (including mags) + it has a slide catch/release. I have to say though I really did like those Beretta's - though it wouldn't be my best choice to spend 345$+ for a Beretta 84 or 85 instead of 80-100$ for a Makarov - or would it?

Those are my latest thoughts on my options which are mainly based of you're advice guys. I think I will have to go with a revolver at the end though... Although I would like to hear some last comments on my thoughts presented in this post - thanks!

P.S. Also one thing I didn't mention before - we need to do 3 ballistics shots in police every 5 years so they have bullets with rifling impression patterns from all handguns - this costs 90$ (every 5 years). So many handguns mean a lot of money on these ballistics tests unfortunately. I think I could consider two handguns though - the one I buy now and another after some time (if I'll buy a revolver I would buy another semi-auto pistol later).

Last edited:
I would stay away from Taurus revolvers. While they work, quality control is at issue and they are troublesome to work on. Even if you have a "lifetime" warranty, you might find yourself encountering difficulties in getting them to honor it. I think there can be a cottage industry for Taurus hammer block safetys as they tend to break. If you go with a revolver, go with S&W or Ruger. They're better made than any Taurus and S&W's lockwork is superior. I don't care for Rossi either.

As for any sidearm, look for one that fits your hand and if you're married, fits the hand of your wife. Why? What if you're sick and she has to protect you and the children? You want her to be comfortable and confident in using it. Don't overlook the older Browning P-35 Hi-Power or the CZ-75. Both are very comfortable for small handed people. Additionally, there are 22 LR conversion kits for both. I don't know if Latvia has a 22 LR shortage like we do here in the United States, but if not, it's well worth having for inexepensive practice.

Whatever you choose, practice, practice, practice. Get to know it.

Appendix carry doesn't appeal to me, either. I carry just behind my strong-side hip, about 3:30 or 4:00.

I really like my G26, but 9x19 is way easier to find around here than 9x18. The $300 difference between the G26 and the Mak would buy a lot of ammo, but the G26 is a great gun if that is what you want.

I have to add, I have come to think of guns as long-term purchases, too, so I buy what I want. They are way cheaper than, say, cars, and last far longer. I just don't settle any more. Get what you really like.

Hallo again guys.

After assessing all the information provided by you and also that found on the internet researching my questions I've made a set of pros for semi-auto pistols versus revolvers (pros for one are cons for the other) as for a CCW here in Latvia. I've understood that first I need to make a clear decision on platform I want to go with and only then I'll choose the best fit handgun for my own purposes based on your advice etc.

Here is my list of the pros for both pistols and revolver in general circumstances, that is, when both hand are available for operation of handgun:
Pistol pros:
1) Higher capacity than that of a snub nose revolver (which is what I would possibly carry if I'll go with a revolver) - minimum for pistols in my options list is 7 rounds;
2) Possibility of me reloading a semi-auto pistol in a middle of gunfight or any other attack is way higher that for a revolver + reloading a semi-auto pistol will generally be faster;
3) Comparing to a snub nose revolver (which is what I would possibly carry if I'll go with a revolver) I should be able to get off faster shots with more accuracy;
4) If I'll buy a pistol with external safety then I'll have to carry the gun with it enabled, which will serve me good if in any case my handgun is taken from me giving me few seconds to try and take it back (attacker possibly won't be able to disable the safety fast enough to use the gun against me);
5) If I'm sure that I'll lose my handgun in a hand-to-hand combat or whatever there is a possibility for me to quickly drop the magazine and maybe kick it away so that my attacker cannot shoot me;
6) Most of the typical malfunctions can be cleared relatively fast;
7) Ammo (either .380ACP, 9x18 or 9x19) costs only around 60-75% of what costs .38 Special which is what I would possibly carry if I'll go with a revolver);
8) As my budget for practicing with real ammo is quite limited for every month (from around 50 round of .38 Special to 95 of 9x18 or 9x19) I could possibly supplement my training with airgun training (would aid my skill development anyway).
Revolver pros:
1) It is ready to shoot as soon as I draw it (round is in chamber);
2) Possibly it would be easier to draw a revolver with a good grip from many awkward positions (like being on ground or any other awkward position);
3) I should be able to fire a revolver continuously in a situation where my revolver is in direct contact with attackers body (semi-auto pistol could jam after first shot);
4) Possibility of little malfunctions is probably smaller that for semi-auto pistols (like malfunction to feed, extract, etc).

Here is my list of the pros for both pistols and revolver in circumstances where only one hand for operation of handgun is available:
Pistol pros:
1) Possibility of me reloading a pistol with one hand in any situation is higher than that of reloading a revolver;
2) In general I should be able to make better one handed shots with a semi-auto pistols than a revolver;
3) If I would get a malfunction it would be more probable to sort it out with one hand only on a semi-auto pistol compared to a revolver.
Revolver pros:
1) Again, it is ready to shoot as soon as I draw it (instead a pistols would need to be racked which is extra difficult for one handed operation of a handgun);
2) In any case it should be easier to draw a revolver in any situation with one hand only compared to a pistol.

Just to add some additional info, I really think that the possibility of me actually needing a handgun for self defense here in Latvia is lower than that for you living in US. Also, I suspect that the most likely encounter in a self defense situation could be a 1 on 1 situation with an attacker somewhere on a street or something. Also we typically don't have terrorist attacks, mass shootings or home invasions for that matter (although later might happen occasionally). So in general I don't think that it is likely that I would ever encounter more than 3 attackers in any possible shooting situation.

Also I've done some ballistics calculations which are given in the book "Quantitative Ammunition Selection" and I've come to a conclusion that .380ACP and 9x18 in FMJ would be my best choice if over-penetration is a serious problem. My calculations show that .380ACP and 9x18 FMJ bullet would over-penetrate (in summer conditions with a slim T-shirt as an extra barrier) and would possibly fully penetrate the second body (thickness of bodies assumed - 7" - average 5'10" guy in Latvia) and in worst case would exit the second body with a velocity that would not be enough to penetrate another humans skin (in a winter environment it could be possible that the bullet would not exit the clothes of the attacker and thus would not over-penetrate). The .380ACP and 9x18 FMJ would produce 75% of the permanent wound cavity mass of 9x19 FMJ bullet (as I understand it basically would produce 75% of the damage that 9x19 bullet would do). Also, the .380ACP and 9x18 would only cause damage to the second body penetrated of the magnitude of 75% of what would be caused to the first body penetrated (the attacker) instead of 64-78% for 9x19, .38Spl and .357Mag. 9x19 FMJ and .38Spl FMJ available to me would have pretty much the same terminal ballistics performance, except that 9x19 FMJ round would have higher possibility to penetrate the skin of the 3rd body (it would only penetrate something like 2" - could do a lot of harm, though).

Just to remind of the local laws:
- One needs to carry a handgun without a round in the chamber with enabled external safety (if gun has one) and with hammer at rest. This means that I'll need to rack the slide of the pistol to set it up for shooting if needed;
- One needs to carry not more than two full magazines of ammo, that is, on in the handgun and another in the holster (so for a 5 shot revolver a total of 10 rounds);
- One is allowed to use only FMJ rounds;
- One carries only calibers not larger that 9mm in the diameter (basically options are limited to .380 ACP, 9x18 Makarov, 9x19 Parabellum, .38 Special and .357 Magnum);
- Law states: "one should not fire a handgun if one cannot guarantee the safety of those who are not intended to be shot" - this implies the consequences of a bullet that would over-penetrate the attacker.

I have to admit that I really didn't thought that there is so much to go in a decision of what platform/handgun to buy for self defense use - the matter really overwhelmed me - this is why I'm really thankful for all or your help.

I hope you'll be able to give some last advice on what platform (semi-auto pistol or revolver) should I choose for my CCW.

Thanks to everyone - you've all helped me tremendously!

Last edited:
You say: " remind of the local laws: One needs to carry a handgun without a round in the chamber with enabled external safety (if gun has one) and with hammer at rest"

How does that apply to the revolver? If you are allowed to carry the 640 "normally", that right there is enough to disqualify carrying a semiautomatic for me. Everything else is just overthinking.

You say: " remind of the local laws: One needs to carry a handgun without a round in the chamber with enabled external safety (if gun has one) and with hammer at rest"

How does that apply to the revolver? If you are allowed to carry the 640 "normally", that right there is enough to disqualify carrying a semiautomatic for me. Everything else is just overthinking.

That does not apply to a DA revolver - double standards there... That is the only argument why I'm having trouble deciding which platform I want to go with. If I could carry a round in a chamber I would definitely go with a semi-auto pistol, as from my pros list it is obvious (at least it seems to me) that in general semi-auto pistol would serve me better judging from an overall performance.

Thanks for advice!

Your best buy is one that feels good for YOU on the range. Talk to friends, but do not go by such advise until you shoot the suggested firearm at the range. Grip is the main obstetrical. What feels good to you with proper grip and aim is what you should look for. Ranges often have rental firearms you can try. Determine what caliber you are comfortable with and try both revolver and semi-auto. Accuracy is in the hands of the shooter, NOT the firearm! Of you have safe shooter friends that can join you at the range, that would be a plus. But remember that your friend has already determined that his/her firearm is the best on the planet. We choose and are sold on "our favorite purchase item." You, however are searching for YOUR most comfortable firearm companion. Don't buy on suggestion or under pressure until YOU find at the range what you can shoot best.

I carry my Makarov during the summer. Great pistol. Ammo is cheap. Noise is not objectionable without ear plugs. Use hollow points and it is a good choice.

For self-defence purposes I'd have a fairly strong preference for a revolver, given your local laws.

You can't count on having both of your hands free when a self-defence situation arises.

Latvian Concealed Carry

I'd go with the Makarov. They're uber reliable, relatively compact, and were designed with FMJ in mind. I've got an IJ70, which is a single stack Makarov aimed at the civilian carry market. Basically, it's a military Makarov modified for adjustable sights and it's one of the most accurate pistols I've ever owned. It's not a rhino slayer by any means, bit it's adequate for civilian self-defense needs.

Hey guys. There was a hickup in my permit process, today sorted it out, so I'm hopping I'll get my permit this week. When I'll get it I'll try to decide on the revolver vs. pistol thing and will definitely go to range to shoot few of my options. Then I'll finally decide what to buy.

Thanks for support!

Personally I would go with the glock 19 or the 26 since you found the 19 is too big for you to conceal. Glock parts are very easily found, same with magazines. For cheap too. If you go gen 4 you can also adjust the back strap for larger or smaller hands. I'm not sure what police use in your country, but in ours glocks are widely popular amongst law enforcement. However like others have said you should try to shoot some guns first. I like the glock grip, you may go to shoot it and decide you hate it. It all varies from person to person. Should you decide to go with the revolver keep the grip thing in mind too. The smith j-frame I have came with the standard small wood grips. As much as I love the look of the standard grips I had to get a bigger houge grip so I could actually hit things with it. Like others have said AVOID Taurus. In your case with guns costing you $90 every 5 years it isn't worth the pain of possibly getting a bad one. I personally have never had any bad experiences with Taurus, but that's because I have never purchased one. I know there are guys that will swear by them, but I wouldn't chance it. Remember, you get what you pay for. Either way no matter what you go with I wish you the best of luck!

Back