Buying Handgun online experience

You do know that you are still responsible to pay those sales taxes

Absolutely, but that is something that gets reported on my annual filing. In the mean time, that money is sitting in my bank account earning interest for me rather than sitting in the gov't coffers earning interest for them.

Have purchased several guns from Buds with absolutely no problems. Have also bought several off Gunbroker with no issues. Quite satisfied with online buying over the last four or five years.

Have purchased from Bud's before and was very happy with the service. Shipped promptly, and my local LGS was more than happy to handle the transfer, especially when I bought some ammo from them. Can't vouch for every online gun shop, but wouldn't hesitate to order from Bud's again.

I've only ever bought online - mostly from Kentucky Gun Co., plus a couple Gunbroker auctions - and have been perfectly satisfied each time. Living in Chicago, the closest gun shop is significantly more expensive than the online prices (typically $75-$125 per gun), so I save quite a bit even with the FFL fee.

Bud's shouldn't be a problem, but buying from Gunbroker is always buyer beware. A positive reputation is nice, but not always indicative; an FFL holders is usually a positive sign, and I don't trust anyone who uses stock photos on the auction. Ditto for blurry photos - in this day and age, even a cell phone picture should be of decent quality; otherwise, I assume they're hiding something.

I purchased on average 5 guns a year on line. Bud's and Gun Broker.
I have had 100% good luck with Buds. Cash, Credit and Lay A Way.
Matter of fact I have a XD's 45 on Lay A Way right now.
One thing I do do with Bud's I keep it simple. I dont order any thing usual.
Same guns that you can get at Bass Pro Shops ect.

Gun Broker has been a good source. Of course your dealing with many different sellers. Gun Broker is just the place to meet.
95% good.
I have purchased mostly used items and some new that you cant find any were else at the time.
The only issues I have had was one guy who did not communicate well and shipping took for ever. but I got it and was ok.

Usually though because you cant handle the used fire arm in advance.
And refusing transfer is a pain.
I bid low enough on items that are nothing super special.

Best buy was my Smith and Wesson model 14-4 for $400. Nice gun..

Last edited:
I have ordered a couple dozen online. Buds has been great. I have gotten some amazing deals on GB. If your local FFL is good, it's a simple process.

I have ordered a couple dozen online. Buds has been great. I have gotten some amazing deals on GB. If your local FFL is good, it's a simple process.

My most local FFL will only accept new guns that he does not sell. I haven't asked the one I normally buy from but his normal discounted prices are reasonable enough to make ordering cost more once I pay shipping and FFL charges.

Nothing but love for Bud's. Only guns I didn't buy from them were surplus. My other 4 have been great deals from Bud's. If you buy a gun online you MUST give it a thorough check before you accept it from your FFL. If it's not what was in the picture or description, or there are any visible defects you can refuse it without it costing you anything at that point.

I bought from Buds 3 months ago and used one of their "Preferred Dealers" in Tn. Purchased a GP100 4.2" 357 mag NIB.
All went pretty smooth. Had to pay $35 for a background check. Think the whole deal took 4 days from initial payment to pick up. Make sure to inspect your purchase because if anything is wrong Buds will take it back no questions. Once you sign off and leave the store it's yours.
Respectfully,
Doc

Although they are often a bit on the high side, I picked up one particular pistol had been searching for on Cheaper Than Dirt for the best price I've ever seen anywhere (Walther PPQ M1 9mm, grand total price of $469 shipped/no tax, at least $100 less than LGSs before taxes! :eek: ). It showed up at my FFL 2 days later (I don't have to pay a transfer fee).

Could not have been happier!! :D

Individuals on gunbroker and the like vary in responsiveness and professionalism, obviously....

I have no issues buying guns online. I just make sure to buy them from reputable sources. My Glock 19 was LEO trade in that I bought from AIM surplus. It was in great condition and I have no complaints. Any place that I know has great customer service(because mistakes can happen), I would buy without hesitation. From an individual seller on gunbroker? I would stay away.

I have a small amount of experience in buying guns online, maybe 60 or so in the past 12 years. Most were through an FFL transfer dealer and some were by using my own C&R license. I didn't thoroughly read all the responses so I may be repeating some things.

1. Make sure you figure ALL costs. Total will include purchase price, shipping, insurance, and the transfer fee charged by the FFL at your end.

2. Make sure your FFL is on board with the transfer. Some FFLs will not accept shipments from unlicensed sellers even though it is perfectly legal. Clear EVERYTHING with the transfer FFL before moving forward.

3. Of course make sure the gun is legal in your state, county and city.

4. Understand the return policy by the seller. Who pays for shipping if returned? Of the 60+ guns I have purchased maybe I've been lucky but only one arrived seriously damaged and I think it happened in transit so not the seller's fault. I paid return shipping and he sent a replacement. Happy ending. Another gun was a minor disappointment (corrosion under the stock and the seller likely was unaware) and I kept it as even so it was a good deal. But I buy guns to shoot, I am not a serious collector buying expensive, pristine safe queens. If I was paying big bucks for perfect guns online buying becomes more of a gamble.

5. Don't get anxious. These transactions take time. Most complaints I hear relate to waiting time. Most sellers take a couple days to get items shipped and then it takes a couple days to arrive.

Thanks for all the help

Thanks guys,all your input helped a lot !!
I have it down to buds and grabagun since my FFL is on their preferred list.
The third option I have is gunbuyer.com because they have some prices that are just ridiculous ($499 for a Wather PPQ M2 4" ).I am between a VP9 LE and a PPQ M2.I have a VP9 with regular sights and love it, but that belongs to another thread ;)
Thanks again for all the Input

Maverick, I've only purchased four revolvers from on-line sellers. Three of these were from VERY well known dealers who have stiller reputations, so there was no worry there. The one exception was such a great deal on a hard to find revolver that I was willing to take a flyer, which worked out OK. Got my revolver in as listed condition, except it was FILTHY and the seller took his own sweet time to get it shipped.

My personal rules are: only use sellers who have an excellent reputations, offer a return option, accept credit cards, have a dedicated business address, and are willing to answer a reasonable number of questions, and posts clear quality photos.

As others have suggested be sure to remember any shipping costs and FFL fees.

Hey Guys,
I'm ready to buy a new 9mm and was wondering about good or bad experiences buying online.Was looking at budsgunshop and gunbuyers .
Read some bad reviews about buds, but there are people with bad experiences in every business.
I'd like to know what's the take on online gun purchases around the forum.
I bought from Colt's website once. Had to have it shipped to my local LGS ofcourse, who was all to happy to charge me the transfer fee and put a flier in my bag as I left. No problems at all.

Thanks Old Bear,
My personal rules are: only use sellers who have an excellent reputations, offer a return option, accept credit cards, have a dedicated business address, and are willing to answer a reasonable number of questions, and posts clear quality photos.
I try to stick to those rules too,but EVERY seller out there has at least some bad reviews and some "paid for" excellent reviews.The bad ones you have to dig for a little since they don't post them on their sites :rolleyes:.
Credit Card is a must for added layer of security.
The support from this forum is great and I will update about my experience once I pulled the trigger in July (waiting for those 4th of July sales):cool:

I have purchased two handguns from reputable on-line retailers, or rather retailer as both came from Cheaper Than Dirt. Both were in fact purchased this year.

In both cases the transactions could not have gone more perfectly. The guns seem to have shipped within seconds of me ordering as both arrived at my FFL of choice in 3 days. 20 minutes filling out paperwork and $20 later I walked out of the FFL with my purchase.

While I know some people have had complaints about them I have also purchased a rifle, some ammo and some accessories from CTD and have zero complaints about any of the transactions.

One word of caution about using CTD though, especially on bulk ammo purchases (this does not apply to firearms purchases). Shipping for the first item tends to be very high, but it drops dramatically with each additional item - so long as everything is coming from the same warehouse. So pay close attention to which warehouse you are ordering from and try to order several things on the same order instead of placing individual orders to save a significant amount of money.

I have acquired two items (new) via Bud's. Both arrived within five business days without issue. The local FFL (a pawnshop) is one of their approved ones so i just had to show up. No hassle whatsoever.

I can understand the desire to buy the firearm in the flesh. However if it is something thats less available or you know exactly what you want and the price is good, I would highly recommend it. I'm not a real fan of dedicated LGSs' myself, so this is an excellent option.

Every handgun I own I bought online, and have had no problems--quite opposite, it's been a good experience in all cases. Dealers at gunbroker are rated by the 1,000s of people who actually buy from them, and you can easily see how many transactions they've had at gunbroker. Given your plan is to buy a new gun rather than a used one, that certainly removes the 'sight unseen' concerns I'd expect.

I think it's significantly easier to get a good idea of the credibility and reputation of an online dealer than it is to buy any other way, although if there's some problem you feel you need to get handled by the outfit you purchased from, it could certainly be far more difficult than going back to the LGS you purchased from. I don't worry those issues as, if I had a problem with a firearm, the dealer is probably the last place I'd go to get it fixed, whether online or downtown.

My experience has been excellent. I've purchased 6 new and 4 used online.
All weapons were received at my Club for transfer within about 2 weeks or so, some much less. All used guns, without exception, were in better condition than described.

There is no way I know of that I can quickly and easily find out what the overall relative satisfaction is of the last 3,500 people who bought guns from my local dealer. I can do that in 20 minutes for a dozen dealers online--less time than it takes me to drive to my LGS and without having to deal with them and other clueless customers waving the guns around.

For a 'commodity' 9mm auto, I wouldn't even consider buying any other way. Read the terms and conditions (which are published for you to read, unlike at the LGS generally), and if the language is poor, not to your liking or sounds like the dealer generally doesn't really like customers, move on--there are dozens more to choose from at the click of the mouse. I personally wouldn't likely buy from an online dealer that only did business through their own storefront--but rather would prefer to select a source doing business under the somewhat protective umbrella of a brokerage such as gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com. I feel in most cases such brokerages provide some air support in terms of arbitration, etc., should a deal go tango--same as with eBay and Amazon.

Last edited:
Back