Buying Handgun online experience

Maverick36

Hey Guys,
I'm ready to buy a new 9mm and was wondering about good or bad experiences buying online.Was looking at budsgunshop and gunbuyers .
Read some bad reviews about buds, but there are people with bad experiences in every business.
I'd like to know what's the take on online gun purchases around the forum.

Read carefully and ask questions. Enjoy.

Factor the FFL transfer fee and perhaps state sales tax, that can add $75 to your cost.

The only time I purchased "online" or mail order was collector stuff. I suppose that I would certainly consider buying something hard to find online such as a Ruger Alaskan in 480 Ruger. But generally, I buy from local gun shops and gun shows and yes, the price tends to be a bit higher than Buds.

The only time you have a problem with these kinds of purchases is when the gun does not function correctly or something is simply wrong. The local FFL will generally not go out of their way to help and you are left dealing with the manufacturer personally. Not usually a big deal however.

I've bought 5 guns on-line and have always been happy. You have to get as much info as you can beforehand, but you have access to guns you might never see otherwise. I'm looking forward to my next purchase!

I have seen far too many "on line" purchases that went wrong that I would be very hesitant to buy any gun sight unseen. I am sure others have had success in buying that way, but I much prefer to hold what I am buying in my hot little hands before shelling out the shekels.

If what you (or your dealer) receives is not what you think it should be, and the seller refuses to make good or simply ignores you, you have little recourse. To sue him, you have to hire an attorney in his state, perhaps travel there to appear in court or submit a deposition, and spend a lot of time and money, usually more than the item is worth.

You can't expect your local dealer to make good; he is not the seller and in no more responsible for that Paterson being a fake or that Glock not feeding than the carrier is. And no, BATFE won't help; they are not the Better Business Bureau and they don't care one bit if you were cheated.

Jim

I've done several online deals. The biggest problem is your local gun shop. Make sure you understand all of their rules some are much worse than others. One of the local shops here you have to notify them AND stop by before your order arrives. I try to avoid using them too much. Another all you do is drop them an email with a link to the purchase so they know who is shipping the firearm to them and they give you a call when it arrives. I tend to use them the most. Support for your firearm is the manufacturer. I don't think I've ever had a problem with any of the firearms. If the LGS is smart they will treat you well after all they get a chance on your next purchase if they treat you well. I know a few people that have purchased from Bud's with no problem. I can't remember if I bought one from them. I know I have purchased some products from them just can't remember a firearm.

I'm 2 for 2 on online orders, but online means you're buying from a shop you probably haven't been to, and as you know from shops you have been to, some are good and some are not. I had zero problems both times, and you get to buy what you want that the local shops don't have while picking who you do want to interact with locally. But I'm sure there are horror stories, just as there are horror stories from buying locally.

I don't know percentages, but I'm thinking 100% of the people who complain about Bud's, received their gun.

The issues are usually, what looks like a $500 gun is actually $525 + local transfer fees. Buds fees seem less than 100% clear.

Also, an overnight shipment takes ~10 days....processing or some such bs.

Still, if price is right, I'd buy there.

On the other hand Grabagun is pain free, the price is the price and it comes in a couple of days. $5.99 shipping.

Thanks for the input

Thanks guys,
my FFL is the Gunclub and Range where I shoot. They have only a $15 fee for transfers and encouraged the online purchase since they can't come close to the online prices .
I try to buy local but $100 to $150 difference is nothing to sneeze at.

In the last 2 years almost all of my firearm purchases have been done online either through Bud's or Gunbroker. I haven't had a bad experience with either and, have gotten far better deals than what I could get locally.

I just do a lot of watching for specials and/or great buys, and when it is Bud's I am quick to put something I want on layaway.

If you are buying new, be sure and search all the various dealers on Gunbroker. There are several who offer free shipping. Even if his price is $10 higher, with free shipping you'll be $10 to $20 ahead.

Thanks guys,
my FFL is the Gunclub and Range where I shoot. They have only a $15 fee for transfers and encouraged the online purchase since they can't come close to the online prices .
I try to buy local but $100 to $150 difference is nothing to sneeze at.

I suspect your mind was made up prior to even starting the thread. Yes, $100-$150 is nothing to sneeze at, but it all depends on the price of the firearm. The usual I see is about $25 or so difference and I don't worry about that difference and prefer to shop locally if possible. I figure the state needs their share with the sales tax. We all have our priorities. Keep limiting your shopping to online only and there won't be any gun shops.

Have you checked out grabagun.com?

You will find great prices and shipping is only $5.99 on all firearms. I have ordered several guns and accessories and found their service to be excellent and they deliver quickly.

Buds is doing the free shipping thing now too and my FFL is on their "green list" which means I don't have to do any e-mailing or faxing.
Payment by credit card is a little more but still way under the local prices here in CO and I can refuse the transfer and dispute the charges if I don't like what I see.
I will definitely checkout grabagun too, thx guys

I buy online all the time. GB, Dans Ammo, Buds, Grab a gun, AIM, J&G and then the classifieds of several different forums.

If you have a good transfer dealer and you look over the gun prior to transferring it into your possession it is a pretty easy process. Using a credit card also offers an additional layer of protection because you can dispute the charge if it really goes south.

I save money all the time by buying lnib used or new from online retailers. Local prices just can't compare and the local gets a transfer fee and other small items buys which in the end often has more margin in it then the guns.

I just checked Grabagun. I'd never seen them before. His prices (after shipping) aren't terrible but when I checked them against closed auctions on Gunbroker, I found that he can be beat. For example, he has Ruger LC9Ss on "clearance" for $325 plus $5.99 shipping - $331. I found several completed auctions for new-in-box LC9Ss that went for about $310 with shipping. $21 difference isn't a whole lot - but it's a box and a half of ammo.

I was completely happy with Buds Guns on the purchase of a NAA Mini Revolver. Decent price, free shipping, and the FFL I used from their preferred list only charged $20 vs the thirty five that most LGS in my area want to charge.

I have ordered from Bud's twice and Palmetto State Armory once. All three transactions were completely painless, and shipping was in the 2-4 business days range.

I want to buy locally, but the prices in my area are a bit high. When I got my PT 111 G2 form Palmetto state, I paid $199.00 plus $17 shipping and $15 transfer, so $231.00 altogether. The only shop around here that carries that model was asking $299.00 plus tax ($319.93). It seemed like a no-brainer to me. The best price I could find locally for my P-07 was $499.00 plus tax ($533.93), and I got mine from Bud's for $444.00 with transfer included. The big benefit is that unless you live in the same state as the seller, there is no sales tax. I saved $177.86 between those two purchases, and they were both smooth and quick.

I just checked Grabagun. I'd never seen them before. His prices (after shipping) aren't terrible but when I checked them against closed auctions on Gunbroker, I found that he can be beat. For example, he has Ruger LC9Ss on "clearance" for $325 plus $5.99 shipping - $331. I found several completed auctions for new-in-box LC9Ss that went for about $310 with shipping. $21 difference isn't a whole lot - but it's a box and a half of ammo.

Did you factor in the 3% that almost everyone on GB charges for CC?

I agree that almost any vendor can be beat by some GB auctions. My last purchase was a Sphinx and I purchased it on GB and the Buy it Now was about $50 less than anywhere else.

I saved $177.86 between those two purchases, and they were both smooth and quick.

You do know that you are still responsible to pay those sales taxes. But enforcement is difficult and it almost becomes voluntary, but legally required. That's why states want to require collection of sales tax by mail order firms.

I know this is a mute point, but I just wanted to mention it. I don't really care personally what you do, but I never toot that horn (tax savings) on line due to legal reasons.

Last edited:
Back