Buying a muzzleloader

Worth a second look !!!

So can anyone positively identify or have any information on the CVA rifle I posted a picture of? Is it worth 100 bucks? Can I expect it to shoot half way decently if the barrel is in good shape?
Really not much to evaluate here. CVA's are probably some of the oldest imports and have been around a long time. Some were pretty well mad and others, not so much. At any rate, they were never high end. This one looks to be their Frontier-Rifle or darn close. If so, the twist should be 1:66. You might want to check that. The heart of the rifle, in the barrel and I would definitely confirm the condition of the "entire" bore, crown and nipple area. :cool:

If all is well, $100.00 is a good price and it should shoot "well". ..... :)

Be Safe

Last edited:
If the barrels bore is bright & shinny and the stock had no cracking what so ever seen. Set triggers work. Hammer can't be persuaded by hand off full cock. 100.00 ($) is a decent price. If contemplation the rifles purchase ask its seller for a inspection period. If he's not willing. More on>look for another.

Do you have a bore light to check the rifles bore with?
If not one can be found and removed from a lighted fishing bobber bought at Walmart.

I got a TC Omega just cause I didn't have a ML. Don't hunt with it except I did kill one deer in my back pasture just to see if I could. Wyoming doesn't have special seasons for Muzzle Loaders.

But I like shooting and the ML is shooting and its fun.

I had a bunch (couple thousand) shotgun primers from my Skeet Shooting days of 70s. I found they work as good as those 205s for MLs.

I shoot my cast pistol bullets my 44 and 45 revolves with the sabots in respective size. They shoot good.

Shot a bunch of the jacketed ML bullets, but don't see the reasoning.

Since I like to cast bullets I bought a Lee Single Cavity Mold .500 diameter 354 grain Minie bullet and a .501 bullet sizer die. I found it to be the most accurate bullet for my TC.

I planned on just shooting irons but The Omega came with a cheap ML scope. Sucker works great. I'll shoot it until the gun scope gives up the Ghost and will probably stick to the irons.

I guess I'm one of the lazy ones but I like my in-line. I've done too many things that are hard on this 69 year old body, I earned the right to be lazy. I don't hunt or shoot from inside of the barn so that's not a problem either.

Look for Amber

If not one can be found and removed from a lighted fishing bobber bought at Walmart.
That'll work but shy away from "RED". Instead, try to get the AMBER or YELLOW as it will review more details. ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back