Buying a heavy hunting LR gun

Regarding those Bullet Drop Compensators on rifle scopes, they only work at one altitude in one set of atmospheric conditions and have to be matched to the actual measured muzzle velocity and actual BC's for the bullet used. All of which means that for the most part, they get less accurate as range increases and shooting conditions change.

'Course if you're OK with a 1 or 2 MOA error at 600 yards, then get one.

Actually yea i am ok with that, Im going to be shooting big game at those ranges and trying to ring 9 inch gongs, not shoot out a terrorists eye

Regarding those Bullet Drop Compensators on rifle scopes, they only work at one altitude in one set of atmospheric conditions and have to be matched to the actual measured muzzle velocity and actual BC's for the bullet used. All of which means that for the most part, they get less accurate as range increases and shooting conditions change.

'Course if you're OK with a 1 or 2 MOA error at 600 yards, then get one.

That's why I have Strelok on my phone. Those extra aiming points can't hurt once you know how to use them in your rifle with you're loads.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

That's why I have Strelok on my phone. Those extra aiming points can't hurt once you know how to use them in your rifle with you're loads

Having ballistics programs on your phone is all good until your battery dies or the phone gets damaged afield. You are better off working up a range card for the area you'll be hunting or shooting in and laminating it to your stock than relying on a electronic device to tell you your dope. Smartphones are handy at the range but don't rely on them too much IMO especially in the field.

Having ballistics programs on your phone is all good until your battery dies or the phone gets damaged afield. You are better off working up a range card for the area you'll be hunting or shooting in and laminating it to your stock than relying on a electronic device to tell you your dope. Smartphones are handy at the range but don't rely on them too much IMO especially in the field.

Seriously? I manage to keep my phone charged and safe every single day. Why would I not rely on it in the field? I archery hunt in the mountains of Northern Arizona nearly every year hiking several hard miles every day and I always have my phone with me and it has never magically broken or had the battery drain faster than normal. This is a silly argument. Just because you don't trust technology doesn't mean that I can't. Don't you use a rangefinder? What happens when that thing breaks or goes dead? Those things have short warranties for a reason.

A dope card is a good idea but I am relatively young and I can remember my holdover because I shoot my rifles all the time from 100-500 yards. Strelok just has a nice feature that shows all kinds of different reticles with your ballistic info input into it.

Last edited:
Ditto on the 338 Win. I have a Mod 70 in that caliber. Unfortunately, I cannot shoot full bore loads due to a shoulder injury. So I now shoot 160 grain reloads for white tail.

good luck on your hunt.

Seriously? I manage to keep my phone charged and safe every single day. Why would I not rely on it in the field? I archery hunt in the mountains of Northern Arizona nearly every year hiking several hard miles every day and I always have my phone with me and it has never magically broken or had the battery drain faster than normal. This is a silly argument. Just because you don't trust technology doesn't mean that I can't. Don't you use a rangefinder? What happens when that thing breaks or goes dead? Those things have short warranties for a reason.

It isn't that I don't trust technology I use it every day, however I've spent most of my adult life in the military and it is good to have backup skills. I've seen too many people that don't know what to do when the technology fails them. I carry a GPS but I carry as well a map and compass when I hunt unfamiliar territory. Never had the map or simple compass fail but your can't always rely on a GPS to work. Murphy happens and just because you say it hasn't ever happened yet to you that is fine but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

If you remember or read the OP's original post he wants a rifle that can be used in AK big difference from the climate in AZ. Brown bear and moose hunting is usually done in some of the wettest areas of Alaska. Quality optics and rifles usually fare better than electronics in this environment. I have hunted SE Alaska where it rains over 200" a year and ziplock bags are your best friend for phones, but stuff happens and you can easily damage a cell phone.

Not to mention you could be days from ever getting your phone recharged. If you stay out in the bush you'll be lucky to have a power source to charge a cell phone at some camps. You can always carry batteries, but you might have to save weight because you are flying into the bush. Or you might want to leave your cell phone behind because it won't work anyway and rent a satellite phone for emergencies instead.

Technology is great and I'll continue to use it, but sometimes simple things work just as well if not better.

It isn't that I don't trust technology I use it every day, however I've spent most of my adult life in the military and it is good to have backup skills. I've seen too many people that don't know what to do when the technology fails them. I carry a GPS but I carry as well a map and compass when I hunt unfamiliar territory. Never had the map or simple compass fail but your can't always rely on a GPS to work. Murphy happens and just because you say it hasn't ever happened yet to you that is fine but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

If you remember or read the OP's original post he wants a rifle that can be used in AK big difference from the climate in AZ. Brown bear and moose hunting is usually done in some of the wettest areas of Alaska. Quality optics and rifles usually fare better than electronics in this environment. I have hunted SE Alaska where it rains over 200" a year and ziplock bags are your best friend for phones, but stuff happens and you can easily damage a cell phone.

Not to mention you could be days from ever getting your phone recharged. If you stay out in the bush you'll be lucky to have a power source to charge a cell phone at some camps. You can always carry batteries, but you might have to save weight because you are flying into the bush. Or you might want to leave your cell phone behind because it won't work anyway and rent a satellite phone for emergencies instead.

Technology is great and I'll continue to use it, but sometimes simple things work just as well if not better.

I suppose, in that situation you're referring to, a cell-phone might be something to leave behind. I have never used Strelok on the fly for hunting, anyways. It's just a good tool when you're out practicing at long distance to get a grip on where your bullet is going to land.

I just thought it was narrow minded to suggest that a smart phone was too fragile for the field.

Like you, I carry a map, compass, ribbon, ect. In my pack because I hunt in wilderness pretty often and like to CMA. I also carry GPS batteries cause that thing is a lot handier when you're tromping through brush looking for a far out bit of water or something like that.

Like I said a dope card is nice but you can only put so much info on it. I have never had a chance to use a ballistic computer in the field, but I am glad I have that option.

Im fairly young and have a pretty good memory I had every intent of memorizing the ballistics to match my scope, Im pretty good at math as well. After looking at my ballistics for a little but I can judge out ot 500 pretty easily. Little different than 800+ but I think 400-500 I can manage

posted by rezmedic54: I have the Savage 116 Bear Hunter in 338 Win Mag with the brake on it's like shooting a .308 and it make clover leafs at a 100yds.

Likewise with my Savage 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter in .375 Ruger with a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope mounted on Warne QD rings and a solid Burris base in regards to clover leafs.
My gun isn't ported so you know it big time when you pull the Accutrigger.

Back