Buying a heavy hunting LR gun

So me being new to long range shooting how does the turret system work. I have a good range finder and have access to a good chrono if I decide to go down that path.***

Depends on the turrets used, the adjust just like adjusting your scope for zeroing. However a good set of turrets that will return to zero are nice but not necessary. Just get a decent scope with finger adjustable turrets or target knobs.

Custom BDC turrets are laser engraved based on the ballistic data YOU provide the manufacturer, based on the specific load you are shooting.

They are engraved with distance (yardage) rather than moa or mils.

If you range a target at 550 yards, you spin the turret to 550, and squeeze the trigger...

I just called Nikon and spoke to a rep about the BDC turrets, they seem real appealing to me and my desires. Especially when the exact gun and caliber as well as ammo has been tested and prooved sun moa using them

The Savage rifle is really starting to get ahold of me though, its cheaper, has a fluted barrel, has the stainless, accu trigger, floated barrel/ w accustock, as well as the muzzlebreak all for under 1000. Seems like a no brainer to me, they also make the 325, I know it will kill me in ammo but Cabelas actually runs alot of sales I see for it at 50 bucks a box and the Winchester supremes silvertips are darn near match grade custom ammo. Atleast from my experiance. I really think this gun could be a sub 6 inch gun at 400 yards

Well heres what im set on

Savage 325wsm Bear Hunter
Leupold rings and bases
Nikon Monarch 3x12x42 w/ custom high turrets to match the load
Nosler Custom ammo 200 gr accubonds
Harris 9-13 inch bipod

Sounds nice.
I'm not familiar with the range of elevation adjustment on the Monarch, and even so, if you might have designs on reaching out further than 400 at some point you should go with a down-angle base (10 or 20 moa).

I'm a fan (as are most these days) of one-piece picatinny/weaver bases over the older "traditional" two-piece setup.

We're very pleased with EGW's product:
http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46208.aspx

The 325 WSM round is all but dead. I would not suggest it. All of the Savage rifles in any WSM chamberings have a 2 round mag capacity. Not a huge Savage fan anyway, but sure wouldn't want one in a WSM.

If I were buying the perfect all around rifle for everything from coyote to brown bear it would be the Winchester Exreme Weather in 300 WSM. It will sell for about $1,100 and leave you $500 for a scope and mounts. I'd put a Leupold VX-2 in 3-9X40 with a long range reticle for $329 in a set of Talley Lightweight mounts ($45). Even with tax you come in under your $1,600 budget.

It will weigh about 8lbs all up. Not too heavy to climb mountains with, not too light for recoil to be a problem, and they are proving to be tackdrivers. You get the best factory synthetic stock, stainless metal and a CRF action for bulletproof performance in any weather.

The 300 WSM ammo can now be found anywhere and it has the trajectory and energy for elk at 600 yards if the shooter is up to it. When loaded with heavy 200 gr+ bullets will take the largest game in North America including the largest bear. When downloaded it can basically duplicate 308 performance and recoil if full power loads are not needed.

I never was a Savage fan either until someone told me to check this one out. It seems perfect, comes bedded and floated, accu stock, accu trigger, stainless fluted barrel, muzzle break. Has it all in one package

The Winchester has a much better stock, bedded and floated as well, a better trigger, stainless fluted barrel, no annoying muzzle break, greater magazine capacity, 1/2 lb less weight, and a far more reliable, rugged CRF action.

Have a Savage Model 116 Brush Hunter with 18.5" barrel in .375 Ruger.
Accurate as heck with the Hornady PSP 270 grain Superformance ammo and a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40mm scope mounted with a Burris base and Warne QD mounts.
The rifle is a lot lighter than most guns with this kind of wallop at 7.6 pounds.
This superb rifle costs less than $600.:D

Get the Marlin SS Guide Gun in .45/70.

Got one of them too with a Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33mm on top attached with a rock solid Burris mount and Warne QD rings.
Wild West Guns "Trigger Happy" trigger kit and "Bear Proof" extractor as well as red metal magazine follower installed.
The original Remlin stock gun internals were pretty rough out of the box with machining burrs especially the carrier and needed a lot of polishing and stoning.:mad:
A real fast cycler and accurate shooter now.:D

I think im going to switch calibers and go for the 338 win mag. Several reasons in the decision and none with ballistics. First is heavier bullet weights in which can be used in Africa or anywhere in the world, next is ammo abundance, I dont reload nor have the desire to, Hornady doesnt make 325 ammo for some reason and the new Hornady Superformance is just as good as a handload as long as your gun likes its, but with GMXs I have yet to find a gun that doesnt like them. Plus Im reading lots of reviews of people shooting them out of the 16/116 getting .5" groups fairly consistantly. I know I may get jumped for not being a handloader, but ever since I started shooting, I buy 8-10 different ammos and try them all out and pick one that works, often times just as good as any handload. Main reason though is costs, I dont shoot one rifle at one weight. I shoot 15 rifles regularly all of a different caliber. I would have 4 grand in good equipment and that will buy alot of ammo so I can spend more time actually shooting.

I respect that you are just not interested in handloading and for some people it doesn't make sense. The notion that you would have to spend $4000 to get started handloading for 15 calibers is far-fetched, though. I imagine you shoot some of those rifles more than others though, right? In all of my guns and the guns of family members I have never found a gun that shoots factory ammo of any kind better than tailored handloads.

I don't mean to suggest that you need to start reloading. What you are doing works for you just fine. It just seems you may have some misconceptions about handloading and what it takes to practice it.

There are a lot of guys out there I wouldn't trust to fix me a sandwich that can accomplish loading accurate ammunition on simple equipment.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Yes you can get started reloading for far less than four thousand. There is a ton of quality used equipment out there just like there are quality used rifles. I agree reloading isn't for everyone but it sure doesn't cost anywhere near four grand even if you own fifteen different cartridges.

WSMs can be difficult to feed.

My choice would probably be something like a CZ Synthetic in 9.3x62 (which is becoming much more popular) and is a good larger animal calibre.

Put a decent zoom scope on it (2-8x40 something along those lines) and away you go.

Does anyone actually have any experiance with this Savage gun, I cant find anything on it as far as accuracy but does anyone have any real world experiance with this gun

Rifle

I have the Savage 116 Bear Hunter in 338 Win Mag with the brake on it's like shooting a .308 and it make clover leafs at a 100yds.

Frankly if you want an all around good caliber for Alaska or African, 30-06 covers the range.

While not optimal, a lot of Grizzly have been shot with that caliber.

Bullet weight range from 150 gr which is good for Caribou (and gives you that longer range you might need) to 220 gr. Most of the rest you will be sub 200 yards (and Moose tend to be much closer than that).

Horandy rounds are loading up to 300 WM area with their new progressive powder loadings.

As for what to get, Alaska range form 200 inches a year to none. If you plan on a lot of hunting and its going to get beat up, then a modern stainless gun with a synthetic stock is a good choice.

However, I have a 1903 Sporter that was used up here from the 40s to the 80s and is in fine shape. Bluing is worn greatly, but no rust.

Ditto a couple of Finnbears.

If recoil is an issue then a good recoil pad tames that, Limbsaver or some such.

Well its not that recoil is a issue, nor the fact that I have a good 30-06 700 CDL but I want the gun to double as somthing I can shoot at the range at the 400-500 yard bunkers. Not that my 30-06 cant do that but frankly I wont be walking around the Yukon with my 30-06 and a lone sidearm. Many people are saying to go to the 375 and thats just to much, but the 300 and 30-06 are not enough in my mind so Im finding a happy medium with the 338

If your shots are going to be longer than 100yds I don't think you need a real big cartridge. While Alaskan game is big a standard round such as the .30-06 will do ok.
The exception is of course big bears close up. Then .338winmag or .375H&H are minimum recommended cartridges.

Short Magnums cost a lot and they don't give enough advantage over regular magnum loads.imho.
Another large cartridge you might look at is the .35Whelen.

Another rifle to consider is the Tikka T3 laminated stainless.
http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?laminatedss

It gives you a wood stock that's more durable than straight walnut and prettier than plastic. It also comes in cartridges that fit your description.

Back