Bump in the Night

When you have a great big century old house and 4 cats, the days and nights are full of noise. having a house full of cats is like living in the haunted mansion, anyway. You hear a yowl, a bit later a thud, some foot steps on the stairs, and a door will creak open, all in an hour or so.

bump in the night means laying awake for a while, and maybe counting the cats on ther bed, and it sure as heck doesn't mean calling in police.

If the situation seems to merit it, I will go check the doors and basement. I won't call in police unless I hear voices or positive evidence of an intruder. after I do, I will remotely turn on lights downstairs while concealed at the top of the stairs, and wait out anyone who chooses to come up after me.

I am at my farthest possible point of retreat. They know I'm there. they have been warned. there is nothing left to do but fight if they even step on the stairs to come up, and I can take no prisoners. these people would be shot the instant they become visible on the stairs, and that will mean head or upper torso from a matter of a less than 20 feet. I have no choice there, because I'm a clear target, too.

A short pump with heavy shot would be perfect there, but i'm not interested in blowing the stairway clean to hell.

Once.

I went downstairs because I heard a squeaky door. I knew my daughter was already home and asleep (she had come home after hanging out with her friends). I walked down the stairs and scared the crap out of a friend of hers that she allowed to spend the night in the basement rather than driving home after drinking. He instantly dropped to his knees with his hands over is head like a good boy should when a girls Daddy points a gun at him.
Now she wakes me up and tells me when she has a friend over.

About 6 times a year I check out bumps in the night. Most of the time its something my kid is doing that wakes me. Not a big deal.

Maybe 3-4 times ever. I make a habit of living in proven safe areas, so I usually don't have much cause for concern when I'm locked inside.

I've probably heard noises more when visiting relatives in the country, although those were more likely animals. Any investigation from me will usually involve 12 GA 00 Buck backed up by 9mm.

If someone was really scoping you out, it may be a bad idea to go outside and make yourself an easy target! I would never go outside if I thought that was the case.

Sometimes I am awaken by a bump or thump But if Hodges my 105 lb German Shepard isn't raising cane I just go back to sleep. :D

You guys lead interesting lives. Since I moved out of my parents house in 1975, I've NEVER had to go investigate a bump in the night.

My father did go to the front door with his Remington 1100 once back in the mid-1960's. The doorbell started ringing constantly at about 3 AM. Nobody was there, a spider had climbed into the doorbell and shorted it out.

You guys lead interesting lives. Since I moved out of my parents house in 1975, I've NEVER had to go investigate a bump in the night.
In San Diego I lived on K street because a junior ranked sailor newly married doesn't have a lot of options. K street back in those days, (late 60's early 70's), was pretty bad. Today I live in the woods but I am only 7 miles from a Super Max prison in a sparsely populated county with a small sheriff's department. Average time to see a deputy pull into your yard is 35 minutes and for a non emergency it can be several hours. 50 miles from the Iowa/Minnesota border, a mile from the Wisconsin River, surrounded by a quarter million acres of DNR land and 100 miles from 3 large cities so meth makers like the isolation. It pays to be vigilant. It helps that most of my neighbors are hunters and shooters and many of them ex military.

Back