Bump in the Night

Ok so in response-I wasnt neked-I had my nite shorts on-BOXERS rofl. And an undershirt. But still wasnt enuff as i was freezin my buns off. Haha. As leo arrived i put weapon in my elastic to make it less threataning for them condition wise as as i instructed an officer to please take my weapon n he said thats ok. I see ur shield n ID. Keep it. I SAID NO-u dont understand- i really dont want a ND because of my glock19 fallin outta my shorts. Please secure my weapon. I had to make him take it. Lol. Gotta luv AZ. Lolol. Tooo funny.

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk.

Oh fwiw-ID DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN-and i still sleep in my skippys (shorts). All be damed if worryin bout that kinda crap makes me dress different sleepin nxt to my wifee. BS. now i keep elastic pants and a warm jaket ready with shield/id cuffs and oc to make it fast n "COMFIER" rotfl.

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk.

Mine wasn't a "clear the house" encounter. My lab, that I trained to be my wife's hearing dog, came to ME and quietly tugged my covers off and made his way over to my infant's crib. He then jumped in and placed himself between my daughter and the window, teeth showing, hair standing, and waiting by the glass.

I grabbed the shotgun (which I promised my then gun hating wife I would never have) from the crawl space (wife woke up cuz she felt me get out of bed) handed my daughter to my wife and signed for her to be quiet, there is a thief in the house and to call 911 and hang up several times.

Went back to the window where my dog was waiting quietly. Pushed the window treatment back with the barrel to see the POS criminal trying to pry the window open as quietly as he could. He muttered an explicative, ran, hopped the fence...I opened the window and let the dog jump through the screen the bastard had cut. The dog tore him up a bit before he got out of the back yard. Cops took 20 min to get there.

After that incident, my wife has become quite proficient with a few of our guns and is no longer an anti. Let your dogs clear your house for you, they will tell you where to aim.

hmmmm an agressive service dog ? I suspect this is a contridiction in training methodology, or terminology. You trained this service dog to be aggressive ? Intentionally ? On the other hand do you have an aggressive assault dog that you use your wife's condition to label your dog a service dog ?

Maybe once a year and my one time happened to be this morning at 1:30 when a drunk tried to break into my house. I certainly don't look forward to that happening again anytime soon.

Typically, 3-4 times per year, we live in a pretty small town north of Dallas, there has been some crime here, but more of the drunk/disorderly type. I have a 140# Great Dane, he probably wouldn't bite anyone, but he has a bark that makes him sound like he weighs 300#. I have learned to differentiate between the "I need to go out" bark and the "there's someone/something outside" bark. KC Rob, you are correct I have two cats as well, and there is nothing that will get your adrenaline flowing, like waking up at 0230 and seeing both cats sitting like statues and having the "lock on" stare down the hallway, that will get me up every time with my LC9 and Scorpion checking my daughter's room and rest of house. Most of the times, though, our bump in the night is one of the cats getting up on the counter and knocking something down, someday that damn cat is going to be a smoking puff of fur.

Having read this thread, and enjoyed reading it, there is one comment that applies, ALWAYS, when seconds count the police/sheriff/troopers are minutes away. Feel better that I can defend myself. Also having a dog is a good alarm system, even a small pot licker.

Not meaning to be the stick in the mud guy, . . . but I don't get up, . . . or maybe I should say I don't leave the bedroom.

I know the sounds of my house, . . . my neighborhood (reallllllll rural), . . . and am ususally awakened by something out of the ordinary.

Usually, . . . just laying there for a few seconds, . . . I will identify it, . . . if not, . . . I'll sit up on the edge of the bed, . . . until I do, . . . or until I call the cops.

Nothing in my house is worth the burglar's life, . . . or my life, . . . or my wife's. Calling 911 is cheap, . . . I pay taxes for the privilege.

May God bless,
Dwight

You are not being the stick in the mud, you just have different "valuables" in your house than others, like in my case, my 5 kids. If I knew there was someone in my house, I would certainly call 911, or more likely have my wife do it, but I can not sit idly by and wait for them. I must respond. If I can't identify the noise that woke me up, I can't just call 911, it could very well be an innocent thing, very possibly one of the aforementioned children and I don't need the police coming every time I wake up from a bump in the night. Also, I live in a rural area, in fact I am out of the city limits of the nearest city where my post office is and where my kids go to school. That PD does not respond to a 911 call from me, it would be a county sheriff's deputy or a state trooper, neither of who are based close to me. Unless I was extremely lucky and one was driving near by, best case scenario, I am probably 20 minutes away from a responding officer. I don't have the luxury of waiting that long, I have to insure the safety of my family.

I am curious, how many times annually have you walked through your house after having thought you were down for the night to investigate the bump in the night with a firearm in hand?

If the good Lord wanted us to stumble around the cave in the dark chasing "bumps in the night", He wouldn't have given us dogs.

:D

I would never call the police to clear the house unless I was positive that someone is inside. The dog lets me know if someone is just walking by, or comes into the yard by tone. Friend or foe. Foe is anyone not in the pack. I check his tone about once a month. My dog loves it when I back him up!

"hmmmm an agressive service dog ? I suspect this is a contridiction in training methodology, or terminology. You trained this service dog to be aggressive ? Intentionally ? On the other hand do you have an aggressive assault dog that you use your wife's condition to label your dog a service dog ? "

I trained him. The aggressiveness stemmed from the dog knowing who belonged and who didn't. As far as him biting the POS trying to break in...hell yes I rewarded the behavior.

Trained him to get her for answering the door, phone (tty), oven timer, baby crying. Trained him to stay on her left side whenever walking, and to only stop her if she was headed into danger. That dog would die to protect her or my kid. I miss that dog, as he was the best hearing dog/hunting dog and guardian we ever had.

As far as "labeling" him a service dog, for example...to get him into hotels/restaurants, no, we never did that. There are things I wanted him to do to help her around the house. Protection was one of them. He was docile to those who belonged in our house/yard.

Never did. I live in a block of apartments and have a Yorkshire terrier living inside with me. The door to the apartment is a hefty one, they'd need tools and make noise, and before they broke in the Yorkie would be doing their job of waking me up.

A couple of years ago, one of those terriers was a 45lbs (female) American Staffordshire Terrier. Break in, and you would have found out. She's now gone, but I'm planning on getting another Am Staff in the future. Love the breed.

Sheikyourbootie

Posts: 156 "hmmmm an agressive service dog ? I suspect this is a contridiction in training methodology, or terminology. You trained this service dog to be aggressive ? Intentionally ? On the other hand do you have an aggressive assault dog that you use your wife's condition to label your dog a service dog ? "

I trained him. The aggressiveness stemmed from the dog knowing who belonged and who didn't. As far as him biting the POS trying to break in...hell yes I rewarded the behavior.

Trained him to get her for answering the door, phone (tty), oven timer, baby crying. Trained him to stay on her left side whenever walking, and to only stop her if she was headed into danger. That dog would die to protect her or my kid. I miss that dog, as he was the best hearing dog/hunting dog and guardian we ever had.

As far as "labeling" him a service dog, for example...to get him into hotels/restaurants, no, we never did that. There are things I wanted him to do to help her around the house. Protection was one of them. He was docile to those who belonged in our house/yard.

Impressive. It takes a lot of time, effort, patience and love to train a dog to accomplish all that. I've been working with the trainers, Four Paws For Vets, in training my service dog to be vision, hearing and mobility assistance for two years now. I understand the pack mentality of dogs, and am also aware that any aggressive behavior demonstrated by my dog would immediately disqualify his certification. The training team and I are constantly observant to this. I take my dog everywhere and kids are not the only ones who want to come up and poke my dog, or pull his tail. He has a lot of built-in tolerance. We could all benefit from his disipline.

My hat is off to you for your love, and determination shown to your wife.

I'm with a few others here...I have a 95 pound beast who can smell and hear anything before it gets close...I sleep very well

with that said, I have had to get up once in the past before getting my dog...and it was for a real home invasion attempt

Last edited:
I sleep soundly. It's got to be a pretty hard bump to wake me up. Sound usually doesn't do it. And I don't have a dog, so I have to rely on my wife.

It's happened probably twice that I can ever remember. Once it was a possum. The other time the A/C.

The incident with the A/C was funny. I should mention my wife does not particularly care for guns, and at that time, she did not allow them in our home. She woke me with some urgency. She followed me to the garage. I opened the door and looked inside, saw no one there, but did hear a noise- the air conditioner. I was relieved. "That's the noise? Sheesh, the way you woke me, I thought you heard a person in the garage."

That was the first time she noticed I had a gun in my hand. "Where did you get that?!" She said it with disgust, as if I had a dead rat in my hand.

"Out of the safe in the garage." :D

I can't recall the last time I got up to check something inside the house, but I do get up once or twice a month when the Hound of the Baskervilles (AKA Shiner the beagle) alerts on something going on outside. I've never actually seen anything outside, but we live in a rural area and have tons of wildlife (deer, skunks, coyote) wandering around. I always take my nightstand 1911 and my Surefire 9p, have never had any reason to use the .45.

When I lived in San Diego it was a regular occurrence. Neighbor girl was raped and killed and we were broken into but nothing taken. Shootings and cutting were a regular occurrence in our neighborhood.

In Chicago it was 3 times in 10 years. Group of drunks trying to get in the back way through a patio door nearly got shot, they had the wrong address. Amazing how fast a drunk can sober up when faced with a barking golden retriever and my irate wife with a pistol.

Here in the woods 3 or 4 times every summer and maybe once or twice in the winter. So far a stray dog, a handful of raccoons and one drunk. The rest of the time nothing found.

Approx. 2-3 times a year.

There are times I wake up too a strange noise. I can't fall back asleep until I check it out.

However, I have a chocolate lab. She is a good alarm. Of course, she would probably lick an intruder too death. I think she is more a watch dog than a guard dog.

Back