Bullpups

I took My new Bushmaster M17 Bullpup with simmons red dot site to the range for the first time Sat the 26.
It is now my favorite gun to shoot.(My old favorite is my CAR 15 DPMS w/ Bushmaster 16" flutted barrel)

The M17 was alot of fun to shoot it has a lot less recoil than the AR15 w/ the same Amo.
The ONLY thing I didn't like was the smoke from the ejection port goes right in your face.

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 12-27-98).]

The Bushmaster M-17S Bullpup; pretty accurate, muzzle heavy, terrible trigger, lousy iron sights. I love mine. Did some trigger work (much better), installed threaded muzzle brake (same threads as AR-15), narrowed and lowered iron sights, installed 2x6 scope, trimmed and rounded butt, then installed rubber pad, thinking about having barrel fluted to reduce weight and increase barrel surface area for cooling. Just wish they made a .22 conversion kit for it like the Mini-14 and AR-15/M-16. I also believe it will be possible to mount a laser on the barrel, but inside the housing so that it will project out of a hole in the front, but be completely protected by the housing. I have thought several times about trading it in on some new hardware, but I do like it quite a bit and figure bullpups are next on the anti-gunners hit lis,t so I guess I will hang on to it for a while. BTW it looks really wicked with a 120-round drum magazine inserted and the drum rests nicely on your chest to steady you when making off-hand shots. It always draws people at the range who want to know what it is. When you tell them it is an M-17, for some reason they assume, I guess from the name and the looks, that it is fully automatic. Has been very reliable, no jams, misfires, feeding problems or any other difficulites. The AUG is better and handier rifle, but at a much greater cost. At one time I had installed a Muzzlite bullpup stock on my Mini-14, but the trigger pull was terrible, even with some work, and it made the weapon unsafe. If dropped butt first on a carpeted floor from about six inches, the cocked hammer would release. This would cause an accidential discharge if a round was chambered. This doesn't happed with the Bushmaster M-17S or the Mini-14 with standard stock. Good Luck and Safe Shooting :)

Most of my experience has been with the Styer AUG, in a training envriornment, where many many rounds are fired by comparison to opperation use. My main concern with the BP's was safety in firing.

As indicated, eatin brass was a problem, however, we had to impliment head spacing, chamber, barrel and muzzle errosion into the maintenance of the weapon.

This occurred after one of the AUG's had excessive headspace and blew. The relevance of the chamber to the face of the shooter was criticle here. As you can imagine it could be life threatning.

HJN

Back