bullet proof backpacks for schools

Ok - we have wandered off into political/philosophical blather.

There's one chance to return to the specific discussion of the utility of the pack. Or else we are done and those that continue will get detention.

I bet wearing a $6 mouthguard while in the car is more likely to reduce ones chance of serious injury than a $300 bullet resistant bag.

Soft armor also has massive problems with folding. I have to imagine it would be worse in a backpack.

What if a teacher wanted reinforce their classroom door? Should we be considering replacing the wood doors with steel doors? Adding door bars? Bullet-proof glass for the windows Most schools lock down in situations, but the classroom doors are pretty flimsy. That seems politically and financially feasible.

Last edited:
What if a teacher wanted reinforce their classroom door? Should we be consideing replacing the wood doors with steel doors? Adding door bars? Most schools lock down in situations, but the classroom doors are pretty flimsy. That seems politically and financially feasible.

This is an excellent point. Put it this way. Every material, door, etc in schools is fireproof. They have sprinklers, etc. Yet nothing is made for lockdown protection in the event of an armed intruder. This is why I wish I could just carry at my university but I cannot. Pepper spray is all I got. We have had people on campus with guns committing crimes too...just no mass shooting type stuff. At this point I just assume I am never going to be able to carry on campus.

All of the doors at any school are reinforced with multiple heavy duty hinges, wire reinforced glass and thick doors but not for reasons of security. Fire regulations dictate that doors and windows need to hold up for a period of time at a certain temperature. I can guarantee that I could go down to the local school to find very formidable doors and wire reinforced windows not easily broken through.

As for a single piece of kevlar or other similar fabric placed into a backpack no one knows how it will truly perform. A laboratory would have to test the combination and come to a conclusion. What if the shot lands at the edge? Just placing some type of armor in a pack doesnt guarantee it will work or work well.

You can choose to accept your employer's rules, or you can choose to find a new job. In both cases rights are observed and respected. I don't see a problem with that.

Not this again. :facepalm: Disobeying the rule and accepting the consequences if you're found-out is also respecting the rule.

To the OP, you can also wear a very obvious "bullet proof vest", as much as a political statement as for protection. When your principal forbids you to wear it (and you know s/he will because it implies the school is not "safe") you'll have a pretty good 1st amendment argument.

As for a single piece of kevlar or other similar fabric placed into a backpack no one knows how it will truly perform. A laboratory would have to test the combination and come to a conclusion. What if the shot lands at the edge? Just placing some type of armor in a pack doesnt guarantee it will work or work well.

I decided not to wait. The 23 rounds of 9mm, 357, 40, ect shot into one of mine with out a perpetration was good enough for me. They are not bullet proof, just resistant. Is it possible they may penetrate? Sure.
What if it lands at the edge???
Well maybe my luck ran out or maybe it slows it down just enough not to kill me.
What if I get shot in the head?? heck you can die from being shot in the leg.
But if I must take a round I would prefer the leg to sucking chest wound.

Main point is not that you can not be hurt.
But if my main core is covered and I take a 9mm shot to the core. I may just survive.

To the OP, you can also wear a very obvious "bullet proof vest", as much as a political statement as for protection

Hey I kind of like that idea. I might wait till I get closer to retirement though.
Never know what will happen when you poke some one in a position of authority.

Last edited:
All of the doors at any school are reinforced with multiple heavy duty hinges, wire reinforced glass and thick doors but not for reasons of security. Fire regulations dictate that doors and windows need to hold up for a period of time at a certain temperature. I can guarantee that I could go down to the local school to find very formidable doors and wire reinforced windows not easily broken through.

And none of the classroom doors can be locked from the inside. I can't remember if they open in or out. If they swing out they are harder to breach if locked, but cannot be barricaded from the inside if there is no lock. (and vice versa)

All of the doors at any school are reinforced with multiple heavy duty hinges, wire reinforced glass and thick doors but not for reasons of security.
I remember some doors being constructed as such, but not all at my HS. That has been a little over a decade, so maybe it has changed. Actually, I found a video from just a few years ago on youtube and it has not. The doors are regular glass. They also open out.
If secure cockits made everyone feel warm and fuzzy after 9/11...

Well, that is a firecode violation. The doors and windows on any public buildings have to be formidable enough to stand a fire for a certain period of town. Im not an expert on the issue, but most commercial and business type buildings Ive seen seem to be more formidable than your average household.That said, the doors and windows on the average building are still not "bullet-proof", but I have confidence they will slow an intruders entry better than your typical residence.

Ive been studying the various active shooter court-cases. Reading up and looking at whats available on the internet. Basically, it comes down to two active-shooter. The active-shooter who sprays rounds everywhere and the type which is more methodical. I think its a better strategy to develop a plan of action which is fight or flight and practicing these scenarios in a workplace. Obviously, the best plan is to try to escape, but there are times when fighting might be the best solution such as when all avenues of escape are blocked or you wish to go up against the active shooter to prevent them from shooting additional people.

I dont see the book bag as an option and would discourage its use. Im in Starbucks right now and what if someone came in shooting? It would be a waste of time to grab my bulletproof laptop bag, if it indeed were bulletproof, and use it as a shield. In that very short time I could have jumped behind cover or tried to fight the shooter. Maybe even flung the laptop bag at the attacker. Grabbing it, holding it over my head and that would be a total waste of time. That time being less than a second could be used to move which might make the difference between getting shot or escaping or making a defense against the attacker. Practice yourself with a paint ball gun. Try to put that bookbag over your face and see where your buddy decides to shoot next. While the bag is over your face, you will get nailed in the lower extremities whereas you might not get hit at all if you react reflexively and use that time to jump to cover or escape. That time probably being less than a second is all you need to move that short distance to cover or be on the move or hurling that bookbag in the air at the attacker.

Back