bullet proof backpacks for schools

Dumb to advise somebody to break the law without reviewing the possible consequences.
We all have to decide whether or not our lives are worth anything or not. If your comfortable being told that you arent allowed to have a weapon to protect yourself, and believe that you will be magically protected, by who or what, I dont know, great, but so far, from what Ive seen, those have restricted things, havent been doing a very good job of protecting anyone. I choose to be a little more proactive, and Im also a little more realistic than some, about who has my best interests at heart.

and if you do it in a school it carries some serious federal penalties as well.
Perhaps if you do so illegally. Luckily, I dont live in Ohio.

As with most restrictive "laws", there is almost always the "and any other lawful purpose" clause, usually at the end of all the cites.

This is PA's version.....

http://www.acslpa.org/Information_O.../pennsylvania_uniform_firearms_act_part_2.HTM

Title 18 – Crimes and Offenses
18 Pa CS 912 - Possession of weapon on school property
(a) Definition. – Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing
instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not limited to any
knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool,
instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
(b) Offense defined. – A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a
weapon in the building of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to
or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or
secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or
secondary parochial school.
(c) Defense. – It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

This is the federal version....

http://smartgunlaws.org/federal-law-on-guns-in-schools/

Federal Law on Guns in Schools
Posted on May 21, 2012

See our Guns in Schools policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.

Recognizing that guns have no place in our nation’s schools, the federal government has taken steps to make our elementary and secondary schools safer from gun violence by adopting: 1) The Gun-Free School Zones Act; and 2) The Gun-Free Schools Act. Establishing gun-free school zones – that prohibit possession of a gun within a school, on school property, or within a set distance of school property – helps to secure schools from gun-related violence and crime.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act

The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) prohibits any person from knowingly possessing a firearm that has moved in or otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.1 The GFSZA also prohibits any person from knowingly, or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, discharging or attempting to discharge a firearm that has moved in or otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place the person knows is a school zone.2 The GFSZA defines “school zone” as: 1) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or 2) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.3

Exceptions to the possession prohibition include:
Firearm possessors licensed by the state or locality to possess the gun, whose law requires that before the person obtains a license, state or local law enforcement verify that the person is qualified to receive the license;4
or
Where the firearm is:
Unloaded and in a locked container or locked firearms rack on a motor vehicle;5 or
Unloaded and possessed while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.6

http://smartgunlaws.org/federal-law-on-guns-in-schools/

Last edited:
IMO, pretty useless to carry close to 10 lbs extra in your backpack with the off chance that one will be quick enough to use the backpack as cover in the event of an active shooter.

They are not ten pounds. The 8 x10 Lev3A fiberglass sheet I use is less than 1 pound and is 1/2 inch wide.

We all have to decide whether or not our lives are worth anything or not. If your comfortable being told that you arent allowed to have a weapon to protect yourself, and believe that you will be magically protected, by who or what, I dont know, great, but so far, from what Ive seen, those have restricted things, havent been doing a very good job of protecting anyone. I choose to be a little more proactive, and Im also a little more realistic than some, about who has my best interests at heart.

It's got nothing to do with being comfortable about it. I despise gun free zones, but I've considered the risk of getting shot in a school because I'm unarmed vs the risk of going to prison and/or losing my livelihood because I am armed in case someone tries to shoot me in a school. I'm not thrilled about either choice, but I've weighed the odds, and I wish you best in your evaluation of those odds. For me, I wouldn't illegally carry in a school or buy the backpack.

The federal penalties apply to PA as well as Ohio.

Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both.

They are not ten pounds. The 8 x10 Lev3A fiberglass sheet I use is less than 1 pound and is 1/2 inch wide.

Ballistic fiberglass is typically used in construction. It might be used in a courthouse, for example. It isn't intended to be worn but it could work. It's rated differently than body armor intended to be worn. A panel might be rated UL752 level 3 which roughly corresponds to an NIJ level 3a armor. A square foot of ballistic fiberglass with this rating would be 4.8 lbs and 7/16" thick. That is heavier, bulkier and more rigid than a Kevlar 3a panel.

link

Last edited:
The federal penalties apply to PA as well as Ohio.
I guess you also missed the federal part about those licensed to carry, are exempted. PA has the "any lawful purpose" defense. I had put them both in bold, so you wouldnt miss them. ;)

As much as these types of shootings seem to be occurring these days, "the odds" seem to be in flux. Im sure all those who have been caught up in the various incidents, felt the same, and believed "the law" would protect them, even from those who could care less about them, and who actually thank those who passed them, for making it so easy.

IMO, pretty useless to carry close to 10 lbs extra in your backpack with the off chance that one will be quick enough to use the backpack as cover in the event of an active shooter.

As noted, the inserts aren't that heavy. Also it should be pointed out that if you aren't a victim in the first few shots fired, there is a strong possibility that you will have a considerable amount of time to enact defenses. Such shootings do not happen like an explosion, but as a progression, over time, with fits and starts, confusion, reloads, target selection, etc. In places like Columbine, some people had 10s of minutes (nearly 40 minutes). The save for Virginia Tech and several other school shootings.

Quote:
You CHOOSE to work there. If it is too dangerous for your liking go elsewhere.
Go where?

Show me a corporate manual these days, that does not restrict the carrying of firearms or weapons on company property or business.

Open your own company and dictate the rules.......

I believe you will be focusing on running and/or fighting rather than holding up your book bag. Actually, you might be throwing the book bag at the attacker. Holding the book bag up over the head? I would focus on either getting out of dodge or mounting an aggressive attack but not holding up my book bag hoping they will just aim for the bag.

Ballistic fiberglass is typically used in construction. It might be used in a courthouse, for example. It isn't intended to be worn but it could work. It's rated differently than body armor intended to be worn. A panel might be rated UL752 level 3 which roughly corresponds to an NIJ level 3a armor. A square foot of ballistic fiberglass with this rating would be 4.8 lbs and 7/16" thick. That is heavier, bulkier and more rigid than a Kevlar 3a panel.

Here is the ones I use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Level-3-A-I...997542?hash=item43dfb51d66:g:F9UAAOSwiCRUjuyX

I basically wanted it because it is rigid. I wanted a Lev3a plate in front of the 2A Kevlar in my vest. Really did not like the idea of a projectile being stopped but still pushing in two inches in my chest.
I then added a second one for my book bag at work.

I was wrong about the weight it is about 4 pounds. Does not feel like 4 pounds.
If you really want to extend your funds. You can make your own.
I have been reading up on using fiber glass kits from Home Depot.
I may try it out. Make two test one.

Last edited:
..and for those of us who cant?

Even if you cant, you still can choose to be your own boss. You just dont have to tell anyone

And you can switch from tinfoil to saran wrap.... ;) If your job requires you to wear body armor and have an armored plated backpack, I would seriously be rethinking my career choice...... just sayin'.............

And you can switch from tinfoil to saran wrap.... If your job requires you to wear body armor and have an armored plated backpack, I would seriously be rethinking my career choice...... just sayin'.............

You obviously have one of the very few jobs that they will let you carry.
I seriously dont know of any worth while job were the corporation does not have it written in the company policy forbidding weapons.
They are way too scared of being sued. I suspect there are not very many corporate Lawyers that would recommend carrying fire arms at work.

Much easier for them to morn your loss than to get dragged into court because some thing happened. When your on the clock. Your on their clock representing them. They make the rules.

" require" would be too strong of a statement. The odds of something happening at my work is very low. But not nonexistent. Chances are I get to go through my life and never need it. Same as the gun I carry were I can.
better to have and never need than need and not have.
besides 40 bucks one time is cheap insurance. If they cost 3 or 400 bucks.
Maybe I weigh the risk compared to the cost.
But 40 bucks. sheesh in the back pack.

Last edited:
If your job requires you to wear body armor and have an armored plated backpack, I would seriously be rethinking my career choice...... just sayin'.............
I think youre missing the main point here. Schools are supposed to be safe, because they are a gun free zone. Guns are supposed to be banned there, for the most part, and "most" dont have one, except it seems, those who wish to do harm.

So where is it safe? Where can you go, work, play, etc, where you will be guaranteed you'll be safe, and not have to protect yourself? Anyone with a brain, knows thats fantasy land. Anyone with the same brain, understands that no one other than you, will have your best interests at heart, and is ultimately responsible for your own security. If you leave it to others, you see what youre likely to get.

They are way too scared of being sued. I suspect there are not very many corporate Lawyers that would recommend carrying fire arms at work.

Much easier for them to morn your loss than to get dragged into court because some thing happened. When your on the clock. Your on their clock representing them. They make the rules.
This is precisely why they exist, and precisely why the survivors and their relatives, SHOULD sue them, for not holding up their end. They made the rule, and left you to fend for yourself when trouble came. THEY are responsible for your safety, the moment they require you to disarm. Seems they think otherwise.

The armored backpack seems to make sense for a soldier or other similar occupation, but remember, you have to carry that thing. I dont think you need to make an armored panel. Plenty of steel plates and used body armor on Ebay to construct your backpack. However, you might as well be carrying around a bowling ball when you are done. It sounds good until you are the one carrying it. Just dump the thing and make a run for it.

You obviously have one of the very few jobs that they will let you carry.

Not at all; County Gov't job, also as a teacher; also working on power plants (DHS rules). Never felt so scared that I wanted body armor or a bulletproof backpack.

Please cite where those backpacks saved folks from a massacre

Not at all; County Gov't job, also as a teacher; also working on power plants (DHS rules). Never felt so scared that I wanted body armor or a bulletproof backpack.

Please cite where those backpacks saved folks from a massacre

You realize that as a power worker you are one of the main targets?? You can use the fish school technique if you want. Hope there are enough targets that they wont get to you.
I too work in the power industry and we train all the time on what to do in an event. Mostly it entails who to call, when to call. When and how to barricade,Were the rally points are. Who is the responsible event leader. ect and added cameras.( I am looking at a wall of 26 of them right now)they have added a slew of locked doors every were to try to corral the shooters.
Should have seen last summer when we had a stranger walking around our operations center. Created quite the commotion. He was just looking for the business office.
Point is, If companies are taking it seriously enough that they are implementing new policies to try to mitigate the risk( no armed guards and I cant be armed). We should too on a personal level with in the rules.

For our schools that we know have already been targeted on multiple occasions. They added a sign.

Cant site any examples as yet. They are too new to the space. Plus you would have to factor in people who are aware of their safety. Might get the willies and move before hand.
I have my plate in my back pack. I know its there when I pick it up and I know why. I look around with out even knowing it.

Last edited:
. If you want to worry about every possible what if scenario, then maybe barricading yourself in your home is the best choice for you.

That's somewhat of an acerbic reply. The real issue at hand is that our society has degenerated to a level where these type of things are a very real (if relatively remote) possibility. The only thing we worried about when I was in school is the "duck and cover" in case of a nuclear explosion, or evacuation in case of fire. ("Fire drills" LOL.)

I know that today's society is NOT the world I grew up in, and I can't even begin to point the finger of blame at what caused it or when it started to go downhill.

Unfortunately, some posts on this forum leave me with the impression that some of the posters are living in Dodge City. Others leave me with the impression that they are looking for an excuse to kill someone, but want to be really "cool" about it, making sure they have the latest gun with the latest useless accessories, and the latest "tactical" skills, etc. That mentality is one thing that really concerns me.

FITASC don't make light or be caustic about the situation. Our society is going downhill rapidly, and I don't see it getting any better.

The only thing we worried about when I was in school is the "duck and cover" in case of a nuclear explosion, or evacuation in case of fire. ("Fire drills" LOL.)
Same here.

Funny thing too, as many of the cars and trucks out in the schools parking lot, had rifles and shotguns in them, and schools still had competitive rifle teams. The thought of whats been going on these days, was really never in anyones mind.

When it did occur in 66, the brain washing we have today wasnt in place, and 911 didnt exist. People were more self reliant, and did something themselves. What went on in Texas with the tower shooter, is an example. Its also the first of these types of events. Totally different responses, then and now.

I know that today's society is NOT the world I grew up in, and I can't even begin to point the finger of blame at what caused it or when it started to go downhill.
GCA 68 getting passed stands out for me as the start. Really noticed things accelerating in the 80's, when our kids were in school. By the early 90's, the craziness was really in place. Of course, the results of social engineering isnt the cause/fault, its the guns.

Back