Bug out bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay in your home AT ALL COSTS. There's no reason to not have backup power supply, plenty of canned goods, and bottled water to survive for several weeks. You'll have oil lamps on hand, batteries, and anything needed to be relatively comfortable. If you're not doing this, then do it now. Our grandparents always canned and kept water, and so should you. Stay home, protect your family, and be comfortable and safe. Nothing in a bag is going to keep you comfortable alone much less a family dependent on you safe for more than several hours.

Um, I think it probably should be "Stay with your home if the situation warrants."
I'd agree with that. While it's never possible to prepare for every possible scenario, it's foolish not to have a flexible survival strategy which allows for the fact that your home may become uninhabitable (whether temporary or permanent) for some length of time with short or no notice.

In addition to the things already mentioned by others, I keep a separate car bag for other members of the family.

• Spare hats, gloves and socks for the wife and kids
  • Spare eyeglasses for family members who need them (even if old prescription)
  • A gallon sized zip lock bag full of granola bars
  • Bottled water
  • Basic tool kit (pliers, screwdrivers, sockets, ratchets, etc.)
  • Notepad and pens, pencils
  • Compass
  • Toileteries
  • Spare batteries for flashlights
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Key phone numbers and other data, written down and hidden

Most evacuations last a matter of a few days and you need to be able to make it until the authorities give the all clear to return home. That could mean living out of the car, van or tent in a state park rather than subjecting the family to living conditions at a designated shelter.

Any type of bag should be kept as simple as possible.

Good post by Ten-Ring ^^

I agree, disaster evacuations are certainly stressful and sometimes volatile but most are typically short lived.

Last edited:
We all know how this thread will end. I have my stopwatch out and my only wish is that I could do the honor.

Wait a second, this thread is dated a few days ago. Im wondering how this one got through the wire. Im laughing and can only wonder. I thought for a moment I was on the AR15 website and had to look up.

Im going to hit the report button. Sorry Ive said too much.

Last edited:
Stay in your home AT ALL COSTS

Can you apply that same logic to a sinking ship? At some point, it is more prudent to get on a lifeboat rather than stay on a sinking ship. That point is determined in the moment and hopefully by someone with some good common sense. If a person wants to stay in their home [at all costs] during a crisis, I guess they can.. I however will evaluate my options vs risks vs consequences and choose a course of action that is most favorable to my immediate well being. If I can stay home, great... I would prefer to stay home but if I cant, I would like some ready-go gear to make that any decision to flee a little less complicated.

Katrina, other big storms, forrest fire and similar disasters come to mind.

Last edited:
Unless you live in an area that may need to be evacuated due to natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes, I see no reason to need a bug out bag. If your house is not in danger of being destroyed, there's is no reason to leave it. I fail to see how grabbing a bag of assorted items and hunkering down in the woods is any safer or more convenient than your own home. Your home has everything you need and if need be can be fortified. Luckily I live in New England and the worst natural disasters we have are snow storms, and in that case you don't want to leave your home, so I see no need for a bug out bag.

Unless you live in an area that may need to be evacuated due to natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes, I see no reason to need a bug out bag. If your house is not in danger of being destroyed, there's is no reason to leave it. I fail to see how grabbing a bag of assorted items and hunkering down in the woods is any safer or more convenient than your own home. Your home has everything you need and if need be can be fortified. Luckily I live in New England and the worst natural disasters we have are snow storms, and in that case you don't want to leave your home, so I see no need for a bug out bag

I agree, common sense all around.. no one is suggesting anything to the contrary. There are however, some people who live under circumstances and in regions where disaster and resulting evacuations are a reality and it is that scope that this thread addresses. The tactics involved in mitigating threats is a useful debate and based on the 50 comments so far and 1000 views, some find the content fruitful.

Last edited:
Unless you live in an area that may need to be evacuated due to natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes, I see no reason to need a bug out bag.
Well, let's see who that might include. Pretty much anyone near the Gulf of Mexico, pretty much anywhere near the San Andreas fault (most of the residents of California), pretty much anyone living near the banks of the Mississippi (ya see there's this thing called floods when levees are topped or breached), then there's the tornado corridor which sweeps from the midwest all the way down through south central Texas. Nope. Not too many folks at all.

If your house is not in danger of being destroyed, there's is no reason to leave it.
You haven't thought this through. What if a member of your household has medical issues that may require EMT services if something goes wrong? If an evacuation has been ordered, very likely those services won't be offered. Not to mention, "not destroyed" doesn't necessarily equal "habitable."

I fail to see how grabbing a bag of assorted items and hunkering down in the woods is any safer or more convenient than your own home.
Please cite where anyone has suggested "hunkering down in the woods," because I'll be darned if I can see where that suggestion was made. This thread is about getting out of Dodge to a more hospitable place, temporarily. It's not about pretending to be Survivorman.

Luckily I live in New England and the worst natural disasters we have are snow storms
Don't think what happened to those hit by Hurricane Sandy couldn't possibly hit New England. Not to mention, there are vast numbers of folks for whom the possibility of natural disaster is a very real item of concern on a fairly continuous basis.

and in that case you don't want to leave your home, so I see no need for a bug out bag.
And for the rest of us, who live in perhaps more uncertain climes and geographies, it makes a whole lot of sense.

Actually, it would be almost impossible for a tropical storm to hit New England. What little is left of the gulf stream gets pushed out to sea by Cape Cod, so north of that tropic storms die out fast over the cold water.
Also, much of the coast is high and steep enough to resist storm surge.
We can get bad nor'easters, but they generally just take the form of wind and snow. Flooding is never a widespread problem.
I live on top of a hill with a wood stove and a dug well. We lost power for 16 days during the big ice storm of '98 and only needed to dig out the kerosene lamps and the cribbage board.
I very much doubt the weather will ever make me leave.

Anyway, my point is that while a bug out bag makes sense for some people, hunkering at home make a lot more sense for others.

If I lived in a flood zone of have a bug out bag packed to go. As it is, I just keep a well stocked pantry and woodshed.

There are Bug-out-bags and Bug-out-bags. A lot depends on the nature of the disaster you're evacuating from.

Some years ago there was a massive fire in the hills of Oakland, California, where my in-laws were living. Homes were being destroyed and people dying. They had to evacuate (but thankfully, their home was spared).

This was a relatively isolated event in an urban setting. People who were being evacuated had places to go to -- friends, families, hotels, shelters. My in-laws were able to stay with my sister-in-law -- a safe fifteen miles away.

So a Bug-out-bag for such an emergency isn't as much about survival as it can be about saving irreplaceable memories (e. g., family photos, cherished letters, etc.).

Thankfully most disasters are not wide spread and those caught in its path can drive a short distance to safety which brings me to a personal failure of mine a few years ago.

I found myself sending my extended family across state lines where they could find power and living accommodations for 11 days. I stayed behind as my employer was on gen power and I was required to work. To my surprise and hurt ego, I had a quarter of a tank of gas, no extra fuel on hand and no open gas stations for 60 miles. I have preached the ...never below half a tank mantra for decades and found myself of ignoring my own advice. I had to use some lawnmower gas and set out on a 60 mile trek for gas, not knowing if there would even be any left when I arrived and no way to get back if there wasn't. It all worked out minus a long line and some yahoo trying to fill his truck plus 12 5gallon jerry cans he had with him... long story short, my new tactic is to have 20 gallons of treated fuel on hand and never go below half a tank.

In my bug out bag I have:
Fire steel and water proof matches
Swiss gel stove
one MRE
Multitool as well as several pocket knives for food and fire prep
One large cetme bayonet for wood craft
Water purification tablets
small tool set (screw drivers, net drivers, etc)
2 flares (fire starting, signaling)
signal mirror
compass
first aid kit
500 rounds 22lr
50 rounds of extra 40 cal
2 extra pairs of socks and underwear
face mask, gloves
old ww1 mess tin for cooking and eating
duct tape
chem sticks
3 water bottles and one canteen
ruger 22/45 with 2 magazines
2 tins of kippers

All of this is carried in an old GI alice pack. On top of that I would be wearing a plate carrier with soft armor inserts and 7 galil magazines as well as 3 pistol mags on vest.

Well, let's see who that might include. Pretty much anyone near the Gulf of Mexico, pretty much anywhere near the San Andreas fault (most of the residents of California), pretty much anyone living near the banks of the Mississippi (ya see there's this thing called floods when levees are topped or breached), then there's the tornado corridor which sweeps from the midwest all the way down through south central Texas. Nope. Not too many folks at all.

Did you miss the part where I said "Unless you live in an area that may need to be evacuated due to natural disasters", aka all the areas you mentioned.

You haven't thought this through. What if a member of your household has medical issues that may require EMT services if something goes wrong? If an evacuation has been ordered, very likely those services won't be offered. Not to mention, "not destroyed" doesn't necessarily equal "habitable."

First off, seeing as the particular scenario for me personally is I would be in my home, with everything I own and need, I fail to see how a bug out bag is going to save a relative in need of medical services. Everything I need is in my home anyway, having it in a bag isn't going to save my relative.

Please cite where anyone has suggested "hunkering down in the woods," because I'll be darned if I can see where that suggestion was made. This thread is about getting out of Dodge to a more hospitable place, temporarily. It's not about pretending to be Survivorman.

The world extends beyond not only this particular thread, but also this particular forum. Many people have bug out bags set up, and with the intention that they can walk into the woods and sustain themselves.

Don't think what happened to those hit by Hurricane Sandy couldn't possibly hit New England.

Not even close. dayman covered it pretty much in his post.

And for the rest of us, who live in perhaps more uncertain climes and geographies, it makes a whole lot of sense.

I know that, and once again, did you miss the part where I said "Unless you live in an area that may need to be evacuated due to natural disasters". I never said having a bug out bag is a bag idea in that case.

Last edited:
Not usually a big Yeager fan, but there were some interesting insights here. In particular, the idea of preparing for what you know you will need and what you think is going to happen. Not preparing for an EMP, a volcano, zombies, Red Dawn, and a hurricane all at once -- just what it is that you think you have to prepare for, or else the bag will become too big to carry.

Some language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlmSDipfeUM

Last edited:
One more thing, then I'll be done posting on this particular thread.

If you're packing a bag that you plan of living out of for an extended period of time, I'd encourage you to try to use it some time as practice.
I know the first bag I packed for "bushwacking" in the back country wound up having some pretty major flaws (no bug net, non-waterproof sleeping-bag, no TP, too many clothes). I imagine many of you will find the same thing. Giving your survival kit a trial run before there's a real emergency will give you a chance to add any forgotten necessities, and dump any excess weight.
And, when you're actually trying to cover ground while hiking (the only reason I can think of to be on foot in an emergency would be to make it somewhere safe quickly) you're going to feel every extra ounce. If you ever have a chance to hike the Appalachian Trail, you could almost entirely equip and feed yourself with stuff that's been discarded at the shelters by other hikers in an effort to cut weight.

If you're planning on being in a car weight is less of a concern, but you still may very well find there's stuff you forgot, and stuff you don't need. Or you may find that - after eating subsisting on them for a few days - you wind up still liking some bits of you food supply, hating other bits.

If you're staying at home it's super easy. Buy an extra couple of cans of food or bags of dried beans every time you go shopping, and pretty soon you'll have weeks (if not months) of non perishable food on hand. Add a wood stove, a couple of solar panels on the roof, and a hand-pump on your well, and you may not even notice that there was an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back