Buckshot for Bear Defense

Short observation.

Seems a pump rifle - 760 series, et al, (.30/.35 caliber) would be a nifty thing to have. 200+ gr bullets & as rapid as any pump 12 ga - better setional density, etc.

Doubtful though, from what I hear told about bear attacks that any multi-shot anything would do as well as a double barrel - you just don't have the time ... too sad. ;)

"Seems a pump rifle - 760 series, et al, (.30/.35 caliber) would be a nifty thing to have. 200+ gr bullets & as rapid as any pump 12 ga - better setional density, etc."

What's wrong with a .30-06 M1 Garand? This would be even faster than a pump rifle, and who can beat the nestalga of the M1? Then there's the M14 with it's 20 round .30 cal magazine....

Even smaller cartridges such as the 270 win. have an amazing amount of muzzle energy but there's something to be said for the knock-down stopping power of projectiles with large frontal diameters and a blunt shape.

If your talking the average Joe out in the bush where Browns etc... are roaming around. I have heard the buck shot is the best due to the scare factor to have to take a good aim at a charging bear, with buckshot point and shoot,very fast, thats what your going to need in a up close confrontation with a huge brown, especially if your a regular Joe has not hunted dangerous animals before(meat eaters)
I'm not saying to hunt browns with a shotgun with buck shot either, this is in a situation of a attack when you least expect it. I have been up close to browns and even a 500 pd brown is scary not alone a 1500 pd brown;) Nor would I want to be in that situation either, but for up close I am taking 20 yards or less, the buckshot will and can detour a charging brown. There was a true story posted on Marlin bigboar forum about this situation and the buck shot did stall the bear and blinded him enough for the hunter to regain his census and load some slugs and finish the job as the bear wheeled around on his side screeming and very pissed off;), I will see if I kept the story on file and post it, if I can find it. A saying my father says is you got to know your limitations ;).every person can react differently in the same situation, and know one knows what he or she is going to do until it happens to them, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.:p

Last edited:
Interesting story, thanks. I think from all the stories I've heard (some of which are posted on this very thread) buckshot is more than an adequet close quarters stopper for bear.

I just have to add my two cents in........
We have a cabin out in the boonies on a mountain. A bear has been over there a few times, last time he got in and destroyed everything, even the couch, trying to get to food. I have talked to many people, some in Alaska, some bear hunters. They ALL stay to stick with the 12G loaded with bear slugs. I know the dept of fish and wildlife will have a fit if I shoot the dang thing, but come on! I have two small boys I have to protect, and if that thing comes anywhere near my children, I will shoot it, bury it and never say a word. I do not go around shooting animals for fun, but if my children are in danger, you are damn right, I will kill anything that is threatening them. OK, I am going back into the corner now, as most probably won't agree. :D

I'll reiterate my point from an earlier post.

The only "for sure" stop on a bear is a brain/spinal cord shot. The literature is full of people mauled to death after wounding a bear with a chest or shoulder shot. It doesn't really matter if the bear dies ten minutes after you're dead, does it?

I did not realize until I experimented for myself that shotguns are very particular about where they hit with different loads. I had bought a little Baikal coach gun as a "fishing partner" (because it wa small enough to fit in my backpack with the butt sticking over my shoulder). Anyway, when I played around at close range I soon learned that while standard field loads hit right under the bead, heavy buck and slugs generally tended to go up to six inches high at even a range of 5 yards! As I experimented with different slugs and buck loads I found some (of both) that did hit to point of aim. I won't go into what works in my gun because it's surely different than what will work in yours.
Now, this "finnicky" fact about shotguns is one that I was unaware of until I experimented. I would just suggest that if you're going to use a shotgun that you do some serious close-range experimentation to make sure that you're not just scoring the top of a bears head should the worst happen.

If heavy buck shoots to point of aim and a slug doesn't, then you're better off with buck. Buckshot WILL completely penetrate a bears head at the ranges we are talking about.

I generally carry a .45/70 guide gun loaded with Garrett Hammerheads. In another month after a few hard frosts take down some of the brush, I'll be chasing rabbits around here on Kodiak. I'll have #6's in my right barrel and something else in my left. I won't feel under-armed.

Quad,

I'm curious as to whether you've gone back and tried some close range shots to see if they shoot under the bead?

If so, what did you find out?

Back