Browning Hi Power How do you carry?

100% status symbol

Anyone remember these?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M15_pistol
450px-M151911.jpg

All poodles are dogs but not all dogs are poodles. Just because there are pistols that are used by general officers as primarily status symbols doesn’t negate all of the other roles filled by pistols in the military that have been mentioned at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogtown tom said:
Sure - but a small run of custom-made sidearms that are issued only to generals isn't (IMHO) any proof that sidearms overall are nothing but a status symbol, even in the military. That General Officers Pistol has been replaced by a specially tuned and finished version of the M9. How many M9s has the Department of Defense purchased since it was adopted 35 (or so) years ago? Out of all those, how many have been customized into General Officers Pistols? 1 percent, maybe? 1/10th of one percent, maybe?

One of my veteran friends was a tanker. His issue sidearm when he first went in was the M1911A1. That later changed to the M9. It wasn't a status symbol -- it was his duty weapon. (Along with that big pipe on the roof, of course.)

Just because there are pistols that are used by general officers as primarily status symbols doesn’t negate all of the other roles filled by pistols in the military that have been mentioned at this point.
Well said, Tunnel. I would rather have gone without my boots, on two tours in Vietnam, than to be deprived of my side arm. It was literally never out of reach, 24/7 for the entirety of my tours. I was disarmed only once, when I had to attend a meeting with 7AF's commander...and that lasted less than twenty minutes. Ask any GI or Marine with a combat MOS, and they'll most likely tell you they wanted an issue pistol regardless of the TO&E regulations. Unfortunately, REMF's in starched fatigues and shinny boots, controlled most issuing. Rod

I remember them.

They were issued to some officers who complained that the 1911 was too heavy for an officer to haul around all day. The Colt M1903 was taken out of service as standard issue for officers and the army expected them to have a weapon on them. This gun however has nothing to do with the status symbol discussion.

The status symbol discussion was on the wane by the beginning of the 20th century, but like a lot of things in the gun world it sticks around.

It was the case that most European armies that only officers, and a special few units (artillery, cavalry, etc.) were allowed to carry handguns. The infantry generally carried only rifles. The pistols of the officers with minor calibers and smaller pistols. These were more intended for shooting disobedient troops in teh head than actual combat. For generals and such who often never saw combat, except at a safe distance, they were status symbols.

However that was never the case with the British Army. The Officers in front ranks carried large caliber revolvers up till WWII. Generally the 455. More troops were issued revolvers during the first WW by England.

In the U.S. the infantry was generally armed with rifles but by WWI were increasingly issued handguns. First the 1911 and then the M17 revolvers of Colt and S&W.

Both Britain and the U.S. had learned the value of 45 caliber handguns in the hands of line troops in practice. Pershing insisted that his infantry be armed with handguns in 45 caliber.

Germany also learned that lesson leading up to WWI. It armed it's troops with guns in 9mm.

Now many rear staff officers of these armies carried smaller light weight pistols at their desk jobs. Partly status.

But increasingly in the 20th century major powers provided their soldiers with sidearms.

tipoc

Back