Broke my trigger finger yesterday....

Seven years back I had a 1899 Holsman Horseless Carriage engine backfire on me while I was hand cranking the unit. As small as the engine is it has a 55 pound flywheel and I broke my right index finger and the one next to it in 7 places. Though I went into surgery and had metal pins installed the trigger finger did not heal straight and I have had to adapt while shooting. As the trigger is pulled the finger does not pull back straight but rather in a downward motion. Your x-ray shows your broken finger is straighter than mine is healed so in the long run you should be ok. Be sure to talk to a physical therapist right away so you get the correct exercises down pat immediately so that the muscles and tendons stretch properly after the bone heals so you will have 100% range of motion. I do not and can no longer make a tight fist with my right hand but still shoot really well. It's amazing how the human body and brain can adapt to damage.

Isn't there a school of shooting where you point with the index finger and use the middle finger to trigger the gun ? Looks like you a natural for that training currently.

Practice more with your left hand, I'm left handed but shoot a lot with my right hand. I carry my LCP in my right hip pocket and have a OWB holster on my left hip with a S&W model 64 snubbie. I sometimes find myself shooting right handed without even thinking about it.

When i broke my trigger finger all I had to do was move my IWB holster from the 4 o'clock to 7 o'clock position for left handed draw. I practice weak handed with every range session but took the opportunity to learn to shoot with my middle finger as well. Take advantage of this situation and learn alternative methods. Feel better.

First (based on my experiences as the patient, not as the therapist), I concur in Murdoch's advice. When able, take the opportunity to learn shooting with your left hand.

OP, this is why you need a revolver. Incase you break your finger, you can still work it. :)

I shoot about 50~100 rounds of 22lr with my left hand at the gun range, good learning. This is why God can you more than 1 finger, are you going give up because one finger is out? :confused: You got other fingers you can use.:)

Wow. Did not expect that many responses. :) lol. Well gentlemen. I'm on the way to the range right now with my buddy. My main Glock 21 is staying home for once :( just taking out the SIG because it felt the best in my left hand. It's the e2 edition. I'll see if I can post a range report.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - RIA 1911 - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - PX4 Storm - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - S&W 642 - Remington 870

i cut off my trigger finger as a kid right across the middle joint and though its reattached its never bent since. Its prob easier for me b/c i grew up dealing with it, but my shooting hasnt suffered any. Some large frame guns i can shoot with my trigger finger, some i have to use my middle finger and i let the trigger ride against the frame. My keltecp32 has to be shot left only b/c i cant shoot it with my middle finger or trigger finger....u just adapt and overcome.

c6e4e9fa-0091-9664.jpg

Here now with the SIG Sauer P226 E2 lol love that name. Hope all goes well!!! Thank you guys for the support and the ones who have had a similar injury. Hope hours better now and keep getting better.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - RIA 1911 - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - PX4 Storm - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - S&W 642 - Remington 870

c6e4e9fa-06c9-acaa.jpg

I feel like crying.....this is my worst target..ever... :banghead:

Two months from now, when you are proficient with either hand, you'll actually be a better marksman than before.

Before...all my life I'd put 200rds in a golf ball sized or baseball sized grouping. :/ not used to this.

Constantine,

Long time I ago I broke my right hand. Found I was a terrible shot with my .45 Colt Commander with my left!

Now days I shoot with ether hand. Even do IDPA now and then left handed (I have several left handed holsters for that very reason.)

I urge everyone to become at least functional with ether hand (and with rifle as well!)

Deaf

As several others have said, this is exactly why training with either hand is potentially crucial.

I know at least a couple nationally recognized instructors who insist that their assistants be able to conduct a training course using their weak hand. I'm working toward that as a goal, myself.

On the bright side, shooting lefty isn't that hard. It's much easier than trying to throw or write with the weak hand.

im right handed... i smashed my right hand and wrist down range, i still drove the trucks (manual trans) still carried my m4 (left handed of course)

after i had right shoulder surgery i still carried my 1911, still drove my manual cars... my mustang, and gas saver kia

you'll figure something out

I have developed arthritis in my trigger finger so Now I use the middle finger.
Believe me, you can shoot more than birdies with it :D

Had carpletunel surgery and trigger finger done a few years back .Right hand first then the left hand two weeks later talk about a trying time doing simple things . Learned to shoot strong hand &weak hand quickly .Used a air pistol for a few weeks .Made me a better shooter.

Back