Break-in method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas everyone!

hooligan, when you say
And I even set you fellas up with somebody that Actually tested the theory
Like dahermit, I am expecting a specific regimen that bears some semblance to official research protocol. After performing a lot of testing as part of my research for my masters degree, there are real protocols to follow to prevent bias and error. In addition, for the results to be applicable to a given population, you have to test a certain sample size which is variable based on the size of the population and the level of confidence you wish to have.

I tried to find out how many rifles Winchester makes in a year for an example, but my Google Fu skills came up short today. Let's say a manufacturer makes 5,000 barrels a year. To achieve a 95% level of confidence with a 2.5% margin of error, you would have to test 1,176 barrels. You would also have to test a control group that you did not perform the break in procedure on in order to establish a baseline. So, in addition to the barrels, you would have to tightly control the installation process, and if using more than one action to mount them to, blueprint the actions to the same tolerance and install the same trigger tuned to the same weight of pull, etc. Then ammo selection... You'd have to buy the same ammo for each test in order to control any variances in different manufacturers.

And we are just scratching the surface. You can see this would be an exhaustive process!

This article contained none of that... at all! Just 1 guy talking about 3 different barrel break in methods, each with a different level of aggressiveness and some vignettes on how he cleaned different barrels to restore accuracy or smooth erosion. He preceded this with a background on metal finishing from different industries.

Don't get me wrong, it was informative on his processes and those on the break-in camp may glean some new methods to utilize. In the grand scheme, it didn't provide anything new to settle the discussion on whether break in is necessary.

I always clean the barrel before shooting it just to remove any left over stuff from the manufacturing process. I clean after range trip unless feeling lazy and until no copper is found. Once that occurs, I shoot until the accuracy starts to fall off.

I had one of our places near me put a Krieger barrel on my old 700 VS in .25-06 a few years ago. They're a class outfit, Kelbleys, build a lot of bench rest rifles. When I asked about breakin they told me shoot it, when dirty clean it.

I took what they told me as good advice. Shot 10 rounds for the day never letting it get hot. Cleaned it when I got home. I was amazed at how quickly it cleaned up, took 2 patches. This rifle will shoot well under 1/2" and only has 40 rounds through it at present so may not even be broken in yet.

Bottom line, I don't bother with a break in regimen anymore.

None of my SIG SHR 970 rifles have required any break in. IMHO finding the right degree of torque for the screws and allowing the action to settle into the stock are more crucial.

I don't think that many people have changed their minds from the first gazillions of threads on this subject. "And never the twain shall meet." -- Willie Jakesbeer. Sorta like cross-town high school football teams. :)

So, since it will come up again, let's drop it for now. Do it or don't do it; whatever floats your boat. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back