Break-in method

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come its tolerated to trash talk Texas,but if we trash talk Wisconsin,the snowflakes have a meltdown? Where is my safe space?

Berserker,I'm not a moderator,but if you had bad breath I'd offer you a stick of gum.

Generally,on this forum,we talk to each other more like folks who are face to face,rather than behind a keyboard.

Which is to say,reasonably civil and respectful. Its really not hard.

We do disagree with each other,but what does Texas have to do with it?

Seems like you are applying Alynski's "Rules for Radicals" ,which includes isolating and ridicuing those who disagree.

Which might say a lot.About you,not Texas,or Wisconsin

Terlingua has contributed to the development of the culture of Chili.Our lives are better for Texas Chili. Thanks,Texas!

Last edited:
Trash talk Wisconsin all you like. I am a man, I won't tell you, are mean or anything like that. Winter makes you tough.

People from Texas tend to be arrogant, know it all, tell you they are from TX every chance they get. I don't drink coffee st the gun counter, I do have my own range. Not sure what either has to do with this.

There are words that can be applied to people who label people and assign personality characteristics to people they don't know.
And very often,they are projecting their own shadow.

According to your definition of "Texan",you seem more "Texan" than Art.
And I have eaten chicken wings,popped PBR's,and discussed political matters with an Artist from Kenosha!.You talk about Texans? :rolleyes:

What does that all have to do with it? Texas,Wisconsin? Good question!!
You brought it up. We were talking about barrels when you started talking about Texans.

Me? I was born in Wisconsin,spent most of the 1950's in Texas.

Now I'm in Colorado,and I wish the Broncos were playing the Packers.Denver needs a win.And Lone Star beats PBR.

BUT!! Krieger,Obermeyer,and the former Badger barrels are all in Wisconsin.

So,thanks,Wisconsin,for some good barrels.

Darn it.Now I'm craving some Leiderkranz!! I can fix that.

Last edited:
You know i thought they knew each other and this was a friendly back and forth until a few post ago . Now think one of us needs a time out . ;)

The most interesting thing I have learned in the topic so far, is that there are some topics that are "off limits" or simply not talked about in a deer camp?? Otherwise, break in, don't break in, sacrifice a chicken, drink only luke warm water while shooting first time whatever you wish to do.

I figure that if you believe in somebody's break-in procedure, you ought to go ahead and do it that way.

My only dog in this hunt is that it's a relatively new idea, given my perspective over 6+ decades. Further, in spite of never having done the shoot a few, clean, shoot a few, clean routine, I've had many a sub-MOA group. For me, then, it's not worth the bother.

One reason I went along with Dale's opinion is that for me, when a world record holder in benchrest shooting with a rifle that he built, speaks, I figure that it's worthwhile to listen. :)

Okay, I will do the leg work for ya buddy.....
Terminal Ballistics Research, did an article if you Google it you can read it, author is Nathan Foster....

hooligan1 said:
Okay, I will do the leg work for ya buddy.....
Terminal Ballistics Research, did an article if you Google it you can read it, author is Nathan Foster....
Doing the legwork would mean providing an actual link. Telling someone to Google something isn't "doing the legwork"...

My most accurate rifles are ones that I didn't do any "break in" on other than shooting them and cleaning them after range visits. I did a laborous break in on one rifle a few years back and I don't know if it helped or not. It shoots good but not as good as some of my rifles.

Fellas, this topic keeps coming up every month or so, and there never seems to be any new information provided. They just devolve into urinary Olympiads for no gain. Nobody has conducted a peer reviewed study to settle the debate to my knowledge, although if someone has the $, I'm willing to contribute my services to shoot! ;):D

In Aug 2014, I asked for Gale's information to be stickied and the mods thought that one of my better hair brained ideas and actually did it. The purpose was to vector folks there to hear a side of the debate from someone in the industry who forgot more about barrels than most know.

There is the other side of the coin for those who claim it works. Perhaps we can have a counter sticky with the good/pertinent pro side of the argument clipped from the myriad of threads generated on the topic.

When the newer members ask the question, we just vector them there, let them read, and make a decision for themselves.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Granted that I'm highly impressed by Gale's creds, but as to any counter argument, I gotta ask: Is there a counter argument to "Fire is hot."? :D

Sorry. It's just another of my character defects.

My openion

Breaking in a new barrel is like putting deer whistles on your front bumper. There is absolutely no way of knowing if it works.
I've followed my gunsmiths recommendation after he barreled an old Sako heavy barrel .222 with a Douglas Supreme stainless steel barrel. I have no way of knowing if it made a difference.
I have not purchased new very many hunting rifles. If there was a break in recommendation I don't recall reading it.

Yeah Just know I was being generous, usually I just go my merry way and let people go uneducated, kind of amusing to me really.
The theory has been tested, the information is there, whether any one of us choose to read or use this I formation is up to us......but no one can say it doesn't ezist....especially if they are too dang lazy to go searching for it....

Hooligan, I spent the time visiting the site you referenced and read the article a few years ago.

My conclusion - its one man's opinion on the topic. That is all it is.

The fact that manufacturers have no standard break in procedure, most have no instructions at all, and several custom barrel makers state that there is no benefit to ' breaking in a barrel ' by any formula, should tell you that there is no real evidence that it is of any benefit

Do what you want with your new rifle barrels, and I'll do what I want to do with mine

Last edited:
I never once stated that you should break in your barrels, if I gave you the notion that I believe it's the best way to shoot a new barrel then by all means excuse me.
All I said was that A fella let me know his thoughts on breaking in his Barrels.
And I even set you fellas up with somebody that Actually tested the theory.....what more could you want.
But I never said it was the only way to treat a new barrel.....
And you can treat your Barrels any way you'd like, their your barrels......some roll up their cuffs some like them down....

And I even set you fellas up with somebody that Actually tested the theory....
No he did not. "Testing the theory" would have involved multiple barrels (guns), which to apply the theory, and a control group. Remember now this thread was about a particular regimen of number of shots before cleaning, etc. As for shooting to smooth out minor imperfections in a barrel is not the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back