brands of handguns

Here's my pennies, I have several of the big brands and several of the "on the cheaper side" guns. All in all, I have on only had trouble with 2 of my handguns. Any guesses? I bought a taurus 709 slim, and it shot the first 100 flawlessly. The next 300 was nothing but a nightmare. FTF, FTE over and over again. Sent it back, and half box into "repaired" gun was the same. Back to factory and returned "fixed" and same thing. It now sits in bottom of safe. I finally got my nerve up to buy another taurus product, the 38+p protector poly. This thing shoots great, until I got through 50 rounds. Now the cylinder will not open. Back to factory for a new cylinder release. I really want to like taurus, good looking and affordable, but I just don't trust them. It's a shame too, because these 2 guns are some of the most accurate ones I own.

I own HK, Walther and Colt among others. HK pistols are my working guns. No problems with any of them. The others are collectables primarily.

It's a tie between Sig's crappy implementation of their SRT which led to spring failures in two of my P22x guns, and the ongoing series of incidents with a 1911 Scorpion that had an out of spec barrel that was too tight for tolerances and resulted failure to go into full battery... something Sig had great trouble fixing, that I somehow managed to do in an afternoon with a Kart barrel.

I also had a P30L that was probably the crappiest gun I have ever owned, but my other HK's behaved themselves.

I have been blessed to never have an unreliable handgun. I had a Tokarev that would only fire every other shot, but I am positive it was the cheap ammo I was using.

I have owned a Springfield 1911, several Glocks, several S&W, 1 FN, a Beretta, and several HK's.

While it didnt happen to me, the extractor broke on my Glock 29 right after I sold it to the guy.

The one I have had the most problems with is a Ruger Single Six. Every other Ruger I own has been 100% reliable. My S&W's all run perfectly. I rolled the dice on an older Charter Arms Pathfinder that passed The Revolver Checkout (thank you Jim March) that has turned out to a great little shooter.

I've had the most issues from S&W, but that because I've owned a lot more S&W's than any other brand. When you've owned 11 guns from one company and no more than 3 from any other, the law of averages pretty much tells you which brand of gun you'll eventually have the most issues with ;)

Out of all the different brands and calibers what is the brand and caliber that has given you the most problems thru the yrs?
And same goes for which are the most dependable?

Glock has given me no problems. Ditto Springfield's XD. "What one gun?", would probably be one of those.

Old S&W revolver, no problem (but not shot much).

Ruger very little (one gun out of 3, went in once).

Others, in retrospect, not so good. CZ-100, broke 3 times under warranty. Kel Tec PF-9, in once. Bersa UC 45, second breakage, need to order a part. One Taurus (out of two) developed a recurring problem. Charter Arms, 2 times in so far.

At the bottom of the pile, is the long gone, totally unlamented Jennings .22.

An old Ortgies pistol in .25 caliber - couldn't handle the newer .25 ammo. Too bad, well made & would of made a perfect pocket pistol.

For modern stuff - a Ruger MKII Target 512. Constant stove-pipe, couldn't shoot a full mag without it jamming. I set it back in the safe, considered selling it, forgot about it.
I read an article on the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor and ordered one. I replaced the stock extractor with the VQ and then replaced the stock grips for a set of Ruger thumb-rest grips. Now it runs like a sewing machine.
Of course as soon as wifey saw how it shot & with the thumb-rest grips, she "liberated" it. Should see her on the reactive target range with the Ruger.

Back