brands of handguns

I had the most trouble of any of my handguns from a Ruger LCP. It simply would not run with anything reliably. I did an extensive "Fluff & Buff", and it got better, but every time I shot it, it would have some type of malfunction. I sold it with full disclosure, and have never looked back.

I have a Zip22 that has never made it through a shooting session without a failure. If I thought I could get what I paid for it, I would sell it, but I think I will just hang on to it because its so strange.

My Beretta Bobcat 21a is also a problem. Its not very reliable. It hasnt seen many rounds, so it might need to break in, but its been a disappointment.

I have many 22 pistols, and the Ruger Marks, the Buck Marks, the Beretta Neos, S&W 422s, Bersa Thunder, Umarex/Walther/Colt 1911-22 and PPK/S-22, and my Sig Mosquito, have all been 100% reliable.

All my Ruger P Series pistols, P90, 95, 97 and 345, have been 100%.

since 1976

I have found my Ruger revolvers sufficient.

I have owned or own numerous other brands.

I, however, am loyal to none, except Caspian of course ;)

I was surprised this didn't turn into a Taurus bashing thread

mine was a SCCY, horrible, awful experience that got a ride back to the factory 3 times and still sold it with a broken ejector. I cant say I had a reliability issue with any other gun. I had a Davis Industries(cobra I think now) in .380, it was actually very reliable although horribly inaccurate, the chamber was cracked and sold it for 20$ as is, I only paid 40$ so I didn't feel bad

A slight Taurus bash ... the only gun I've ever owned that gave me trouble was a Taurus 617, 7-round .357. It was delivered with too little clearance between the barrel and cylinder and a trigger that was gritty, to put it mildly. Rather than send it back, I took it to an excellent local gunsmith. For $85, if I recall, he fixed the barrel-cylinder gap and gave it a glass-smooth trigger. I still have the gun and it's one of my favorites; even got it a sweet custom-made leather paddle holster and carry it on occasion, tho it's a bit on the heavy side.

I was surprised this didn't turn into a Taurus bashing thread
Well here is a small bash,I have a 1911 which has had extractor problems( had to heat it and bend it) and hammer lock problems which I had to send back to factory to fix.(should have replaced with a wilson) and the blueing is awful. Tried to cold blue and we dont talk about the results. Don't know if I will ever trust it as a carry gun, but it is the most accurate pistol I own. Out shoots my sigs, cz,ruger and smith. And of course there is the ruger 22/45. Getting better at take down with it but still say many prayers first.

The brand that has given me the most trouble (a sampling of one) is Kimber. I've had pretty good luck with other brands but S&W has probably been the least problematic.

By brand name I've had more issues with CZ pistols than all others combined. I've had more issues with 1911's than any other type of gun, but not brand specific. At some time most all have had issues. The only brands of 1911's that have worked well for me are S&W and Kimber.

I shouldn't post this because I believe by doing so ill be setting myself up. Knock on wood, again and again. I seem to have been very lucky so far. All my guns are shooters and have not had any problems that have not been attributed to myself or my reloads, which until recently have always been real greasy because of the bullet lube getting all over it inside the bags id put it in. Guns ive got consist of beretta, glock and ruger. Knock on wood.

I used to own an Erfurt 1916 military Luger P08. Very very balky when it came to ammo. Not unusual with the Luger design. I finally traded it for a Colt Lawman Mk III snubnose (.357 Magnum). Now that stubby little handcannon has never given me any trouble.

I have had bad luck with several major brands, quality control is down all across the board. I have had to send guns back to Beretta, S&W, and Sig. Both Beretta and S&W fixed the problems at no charge, Sig charged a damn premium.

The only gun I've ever had trouble with is my Kahr P380. Four trips to the factory, two frame replacements, and every part but the slide replaced at least once. Just a nightmare.

Lets see I've owned Browning, Glock, Springfield, SIG, Glock, Ruger, Remington, Taurus, Kimber and Rock Island. I think that's it.

Only real issues I've had (that weren't directly attributed to bad ammo) was with ONE Sig (p250 in .40). Traded it in and the new owner has had zero problems with it, so it was probably me somehow. That said, all the rest of my Sigs were flawless.

So, no real problems with any of the brands I've owned.

I love slightly older revolvers when it comes to function and performance. I own a few Colts, S&Ws, and Rugers. I would not hesitate to pick up another if they came by at a good price.

That being said, I have handled two very crappy Ruger Blackhawks over the past couple of months. 1/8" of creep in a trigger is unacceptable, regardless of what the lawyers say. The one is a Super Blackhawk Hunter that my dad bought. In addition to the trigger, the rear sight had to be adjusted all the way to the right to hit center at 15yds, unsat.

I have also not had any luck with anything Taurus, they will not get any money of mine in the future.

I've had nearly ZERO problems as long as I bought good brands to begin with.

The 2 times I made mistakes was with a Charter Arms Explorer 22, and an AMT copy of a Ruger MKII

All my other guns have been much better quality, and most problems were cleaning/lubing or ammunition related.

The only truly gun related problem I've ever had is a Rem 1100 stopped working until I replace a 10 cent O ring

You get what you pay for most of the time

Back