Boring Stuff, Let's Do More Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm boring, a Glock 20 would likely be my top choice, but I've carried the smaller Glock 23 and the 200gr. Doubletap hard-cast have proven to be pretty potent as well.

My preferred carry method would be a Hill People Gear "Kit Bag" to keep the it high and handy as well as protected yet still fast to access...top it off with my boonie hat, and my custom machete and I'd be set:D

I spent some time down in Ecuador. The worst threats were mosquitos, spiders, ants, and snakes; the largest predators were pigs (domesticated that went feral), caiman, and jaguars. All the monkeys we ran into were more nuisance than threat.

ROCK6

357 Mag and a Tilly hat

Don't THINK there is anything in the Amazon bigger than a big cat (but not sure), so the Chiappa Rhino in 357 would take care of anything that wanted to have me for dinner.

For the last 10 years all I wear, all year round is a Tilly hat... washable, crushable... waterproof. Keeps the Sun off my bald head!

newattachment.php

Attachments

• 357 Tilly.jpg
    357 Tilly.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 11
yes... I know my Chiappa Rhino is NOT an "auto pistol" as the OP requested... OK... if it has to be auto, my Walther PPQ M2 in 40 S&W would take care of any animal in the Amazon. Africa... now that's a whole different ballgame.

I'd still take the Tilly hat even if it is not a pith helmet or a fedora!

M88,
If ALL you wear year round is a Tilly hat, you must get arrested a lot.
How do you keep the sun off your bald butt?
Denis

"M88,
If ALL you wear year round is a Tilly hat, you must get arrested a lot.
How do you keep the sun off your bald butt?
Denis"

HA! :-) ...got a good point there. I'm not on a California beach! Well last couple weeks it's starting to get cold here in PA, I'll be wearing a bit more than the Tilly now at least till spring.

Imagine your friends & neighbors will appreciate that.
Although I think you'd probably fit right in at WalMart……..
Denis

I'm going to say. . .

A Kel-Tech PLR-16 with a 100 round drum mag and a Storm Trooper helmet!

Maybe pretend I'm hunting Ewoks.

Or maybe a Mac-10 with a red bandana.

Maybe pretend I'm Rambo.

Or an old 1911 and a Fadora.

Maybe pretend I'm a 1920's gangster who got lost?

Or a Mauser C96 "broomhandle" pistol and a Pith helmet.

They just seem like they could go together. No?

But if I were being honest, Id probably choose a 9mm Glock, either a model 17 or 19 with night sights, maybe even a super light weight flashlight attached to the rail, and loaded with some really good ammo, and carried in a lightweight kydex holster. . . Or a Glock 20 or 40 (10mm). . . And some sort of wide brimmed lightweight, moisture whicking, modern fabric floppy hat.

Last edited:
If it has to be an auto, my stainless BHP. Or a 1911, but I think 9mm would be easier to come by if resupply is needed. What I'd really prefer is a stainless .357 S&W 686. Ballistic nylon holster.

Add my KBar, Swiss Army multi-tool, small day pack with first aid, high-calorie energy bars, fire starters, map, compass, sat phone, iodine tablets and water bottles. And lots of DEET.

I'm a Fedora guy to the core - wear daily from October to April. But there is no way I'm wearing a felt hat in the freakin jungle. Classy would be a Panama straw fedora, but a Tilly or boonie hat would be more practical.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My Walther PPS M1......mounted to my folding stock AK 47 with 75 round drum mag.:D Coonskin hat.

Last edited:
Amazon stuff

Hat would be a boonie or a Tilley. I have a Stetson fedora....wool felt....too warm for the tropics.
Knife would be a Condor Hudson Bay...8 inches?
Gun....i went around and around on this one....BHP or 1911? Then i changed my mind completely. I would take my FN FiveSeven.....two 20 round mags. I could easily carry 200 rounds extra in about the same space as a box of .45s.
Pete

Re-thinking choice of gun after a few others chose the FN Five-seveN. My Chiappa in .357 not only would be overkill for anything in the Amazon, but it's HEAVY and so are the bullets for it. A more practical solution as darkgael has posted would be something that had punch but was light, with relatively small ammo so you could pack lots of it. My FN with it's fast little 5.7x28's coming out of that 4.75 barrel at 2000 ft/sec deliver serious energy with very little kickback, thus super easy to target and shoot. Like darkael said, judging by laying down a box of each next to each other, I can pack 4-5 boxes of those small 5.7's for every box of .357. No REALLY large animals in the Amazon, but plenty of large snakes and other predators that a well places 5.7 would take care of in a heartbeat.

Fun side track thread... I'm sure there were or will be variations on the theme. The original OP kept it simple... but of course MY screwy brain immediately wondered when I read it... is this an expedition with porters or a pack animal to carry your "stuff"? Were you dropped into the Amazon by chopper or parachute and everything to survive is on your back and has to be carried? Are you alone? How many days food supply do you start with? I know... I ruin movies for myself by over-thinking and picking out all the impossible stuff that just could never happen in the real world... it's a bad habit :-)

Enough fun for now! These threads don't fit in the overall mission of TFL. We let them run for awhile to see how they would track, but it's clear that for the most part, the posts are mostly noise with very little signal value. There are a few exceptions, of course, but not enough to keep the threads open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back