Boring Stuff, Let's Do More Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since this is the semi auto forum, I can't take a Webley Mk VI, so I suppose I'd take a Coonan 357 along with my pith helmet.

In addition to the other necessities like a satellite smart phone, a GPS device with a "come get me button", proper clothing including a stylish camo cap, water and some purification fixings, a knife or two, insect repellent and netting, sleeping and cooking gear, proper food requirements and coffee maker, portable generator and fuel, various other items required for civilized jungle exploration and a support team to insure mobility I would bring a Glock 17 if limited to a semiautomatic pistol. Glock and 9 mm are ubiquitous in jungles of all kinds.

CDW4ME I would also prefer have a "mouse gun" or two stashed in a pocket and do my best to avoid situations and critters best handled with a long gun.

Of course a machete, that goes without saying.
Good thoughts all the way round.

Fully agree on the shorts thing, but a good pith helmet can be surprisingly cool.

Amazon Prime had not occurred to me.
.45 & 10mm well represented.

Nylon or leather holsters, by & large?
Denis

Nylon holsters without question Denis. While a good leather holster is a wonderful thing in many circumstances, wet leather is not desirable.

Definitely fedora with a mosquito net for greater comfort, because they really suck. :D In addition to that I'll take a Five-seveN, the high capacity pistol that shoots more like a rifle.

I'm a fedora guy. I think anyway-never owned a fedora, but I'm partial to the Indiana Jones movies, so I'm going with fedora.

If I have to bring something I own, then there's no question: I'm bringing my S&W M&P40C 2.0.

Hard to make a hat choice based on tradition- the pith is classic safari while the fedora is classic adventure.
Denis

In photos I've seen, Teddy Roosevelt wore a pith helmet most of the time during his trip on the River of Doubt. However, in some photos he seems to be wearing a felt or canvas hat. But he nearly died on that trip. Kermit Roosevelt wore a felt hat, and he stayed healthy the whole time. So I'm sticking with my first choice - fedora.
They both carried revolvers.

Hate to say it but nothing I have would go with me. I'd head out and find me a G20 SF. As for me and my family we will shoot the 10mm.

(I used to have a G20)

I think I'd go Glock 20 too.
Small enough to be fairly portable, relatively light, probably the most powerful caliber practical in a semi-auto.

In heat and direct sun, I find the old US military hard "pith" helmet with its air flow suspension breathes better than a felt hat.
The chin strap also retains in windy conditions.
Denis

Out of my own arsenal, I would take my K2P with the 19 round cz75 mag. As for head gear, I think I'd opt for the pith helmet......and maybe a monacle.

Springfield Mil Spec 1911 .45...BUT, who would tote an auto-pistol in the jungle? I would prefer my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt though a stainless handgun would be an advantage in a rain forest....Pith Helmet, no doubt :)

Nylon holsters without question Denis. While a good leather holster is a wonderful thing in many circumstances, wet leather is not desirable.
I recall reading the Japanese didnt have a good time island hopping with their leather gear all rotting away in the water and humidity, while the US GI nylon stayed useful.

For the OP, hmm. Something 10mm for sure and a Pith helmet. I'd go with the Glock 20 I think, probably the best fit of size, capacity, and weight.

I did survival training in the Panama Jungle due to Vietnam and based on that environment I would have chosen a .357 revolver, but since the post is about semi autos I would choose a 1911 pistol with loose tolerances, and a Bowie knife and a mosquito net.

Interesting to see the choices.

Would you carry more as animal defense, or people defense?
I like classic leather, myself, but there IS that jungle rot thing.
Denis

"...a phone that has service..." That'd be a sat phone.
It'd be my BHP(Brazil uses 9mm pistols), my 870 and my bush hat. Nobody in their right mind wears a felt hat in the jungle. Real cork pith helmets are not easy to come by. Those plastic things the USPS wear are daft. Yes, I do have one.

I'd definitely choose a fedora but I'm not sure about the 1930s-era revolver or bull whip. A polymer-framed semi-auto would be easier to carry. I spent some time in swamps as a kid but I've never carried a pistol for any length of time in sweltering jungle or wetland conditions. Are big animals the main risk down there or is it smaller, poisonous, or even infectious critters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back