Boring Stuff, Let's Do More Exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPris

Member Emeritus
If parachuting into a remote two-week camping trip location, would you prefer to carry your handgun in:

A. Chest rig.
B. Hip rig.
C. Shoulder rig.
D. Hand

Denis

For the jump, a chest rig seems the safest. Since I'm parachuting in, I guess all my gear will be dropped, too, so I don't have to worry about weight. I'll pack my hip holster to wear during the stay.

I would use the shoulder rig that I use now.

It is tough finding suitable gear for a left handed shooter.

In this case, I made my own.

I am not bailing out of a perfectly working aircraft:)
No parachuting unless it's on fire, or got parts falling off.

No airplanes (have not been on one since 1986), no parachute (aint getting on the plane), no camping.
I'll not intentionally punish myself by denying conveniences I am accustomed to having (camping).
For normal (sane) activities I'll take a Glock 21SF AIWB (Kydex) and a XDs 45 in my pocket (Desantis).

None of the choices.

I would not willingly jump out of a perfectly good airplane. If forced to jump I would use the gun on myself.

No I was not airborne 50 years ago. Only two things fall out of the sky...… fools and bird......well, that was what we told the sergeant recruiting for airborne in basic training.....before we were told to do 100 pushups!

Camping? My idea of camping is staying in a holiday inn.

reteach has it... jump with a chest rig, have the hip holster in your gear.

Nothing wrong with jumping out of airplanes, but I'll admit the first time I did it I was probably as scared as I've ever been in my life... and that's saying something.

The big question is... as far as camping in a remote location... how are you going to parachute in the beer and steaks?

The big question is... as far as camping in a remote location... how are you going to parachute in the beer and steaks?

The beer is easy. Put it in a box with a chute. The steaks are already there walking around waiting for us. That's what the guns are for ;)

In the spirit of minimalism I would jump with no parachute and my gun in one hand. Then landing in pine trees allowing the branches to break my fall until nearly down. Then grabbing a branch with my free hand before casually dropping to the ground.

Shoulder rig. I've got the old GI one with all the 30 feet of straps. If I take a crash course in parachuting, I'm sure I'll break something vital and will probably need those straps to try to hasty splint myself up until I eventually die of exposure and/or hunger. Lol

E. Drop-leg.

Clears the harness(es) and other gear better. Still very accessible.

Why am I worried about landing armed and ready to fight?
Stuffing the holster and handgun in a pack seems like a better option.

Chest rig. Shoulder holsters are for concealed carry and the waist is fine for the plains and for quick draws against desperados, but the woods it's about comfort and retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back