Bored with 1911's and Plastic Guns...

Might I suggest revolvers. Seriously. More fun (and challenging) to shoot; and, if you load your own ammo - more fun (and choices) there too.

That said, I'd like to see a large steel framed 10mm - something Desert Eagle kinda hefty.

PLEASE someone come up with a new metal-frame 9mm or 10mm design!
Well, S&W’s 3rd Gen 10mm 10XX-series guns were a thing once. Maybe for you the old can be *new* again?

Off GB, I just scored a minty model 1066 (4.25”, DA/SA, single-stack 9+1 capacity). Came with two 9-rd mags with white followers. It has the default 3-dot Novak ski-jumps, but those will be replaced with Trijicon’s tritium sights. Will also upgrade the various factory springs with Wolff XPs.

Once I’ve vetted it over 500-rds with real 10mm ammo, it’ll go into the carry rotation.

So a “Commander”-size, all-steel, 10mm blaster with a 10-rd load-out = happy me. :cool:

There's always going backwards a tad to the HK P7; that squeeze cocker is unique among semis and it is very accurate with its fixed barrel

There's always going backwards a tad to the HK P7; that squeeze cocker is unique among semis and it is very accurate with its fixed barrel

From what I heard, they got quite hot, pretty quick.

There are lots of old designs that are no longer in production, and the reason why isn't that they didn't work, but because they didn't keep selling well enough.

A completely new design with a metal frame faces a struggle to be commercially successful these days. Few buyers want the "best" designed and made gun, they want good enough at the cheapest price.

There's a fellow out there that will make you a metal frame Luger in 10mm. I believe his asking price is about $8000, for the base model.

would that scratch your itch??

:D

I think there is a market for all the manufacturers to have a Shadow 2 competitor.

Current competitions CZ cites for the Shadow build purpose don't allow for half hammer CZ reset (has to be full down), and the Shadow 2 doesn't have a firing pin block. Yet, a lighter weight Shadow 2 compact seems to be enjoying popularity. It makes almost no sense because it's the worst of all worlds. It's light, but still very big. It's not drop/decocking safe. It's still not competition hammer down safe. Perfect combination of everything wrong for competition and for carry. Proves people want something in this group.

So I think there is a market for a return of more P226 ss X-Five, Six, Short, a Walther hammer steel, an HK steel Expert, a return of a Champion S&W...not just metal versions of their polymers. True new designs.

It wouldn't sell like the polymers, but everyone seems to me to be conceding money on the table with the Shadow which doesn't have everything perfect.

I think the OP is right. There's demand for something new.

Smith & Wesson revolvers are an entirely different and fascinating genre of handguns.

I love 1911s, always have and always will. I have owned 1911s in different chamberings, but really, only .45acp satisfies. And of the different frame and slide sizes, I'm pretty much set on alloy-framed Commander sized 1911s. (Just me, YMMV.)

When it comes to S&W revolvers, there is such a variety of frame sizes, barrel lengths, calibers and chamberings...I will probably never experience all of them.

So at this point, I'm happy with just a handful of 1911s, but am still finding S&W revolvers that I am interested in.

Have a look.

I think CZ has price going for them for parts. Patriot Defense seems to be as responsive as Canjun Gun Works.

Tanfoglio has going for it a drop safety block that the CZs don't have.

While the trigger is better on the CZ, absolutely no difference to me in accuracy in my Shadow 2s and my Stock Master (a Stock III frame, updated slide).

Shadow frame is rounded more.

Tanfoglio trigger is super curved. I hated it in dry fire, but on live it's great.

Hello set screw in the Tanfoglio (stock):
QBcZRLXm.jpg

The Tanfoglio frame is way more comfortable at then tang. I have small hands, so I know others know what I mean that the Shadow frame is too narrow right at the tang and your web doesn't actually contact the frame at the undercut.

CZ moved their new Tactical Sport 2 Orange to a bull barrel, something that is stock on all the Tanfoglio Defiant frames.

Tanfoglio comes chromed, a $500 job Cajun or Fords on a full Shadow. I think hard chrome is the best finish a gun can have.

You can not like it, but I think the internet talk is way over stated on quality differences. Different, but on target, I can't tell a difference. I agree the Shadow is kinda better, but on target, I don't see it.

QQwJMEem.jpg

That said, the Tanfoglio and CZ are just similar. Like the OP is saying, there aren't many terribly "new."

If you can hold first, an interesting one is the pardini GT9. I think hold it first though. It's boxy. Mag prices are just stupid insanity.
The upper end Tanfoglio Witness guns are some of my favorite. Yes, the hard chrome finish on it is much more scratch resistant than stainless steel, and I think it looks great. My Stock 10mm has an excellent trigger. Compared to my CZ 75B, the Tanfoglio trigger is much better - mainly because it doesn't "cam" the hammer like the stock CZ does. Both CZ and Tanfoglio triggers can be improved, but I've never found a need to modify the Tanfoglio. Also, love the fiber-optic sight on the Stock.

I really have enjoyed the Tanfoglio. It has not disappointed. I like my CZ S2s as well. I see the Stock 10mm Limited is currently $800. WOW! If I thought 10mm was interesting, I'd be jumping on that quick.

But really, both have internet hype that is beyond reason for their variants.

The CZ color models have like 0% accuracy enhancements between them. So then you start to wonder when you hear magical claims...wait. Perfect example is the ridiculous TS2 Orange right now. It's nice, sure. It's unique. It's $1,800. The TS2 Blue at current $1,100 trigger is plastic but the CZ trigger is super cheap for the factory metal. The Silver TS2 is said to be replacing the TS2 Blue. No functional differences. So $700 difference from basic TS2 model and no claim to be more accurate. The most coveted never sold in US "Bronze" S2 comes with a "polished barrel for reliability" according to CZ and nothing else over any other S2. Never once heard of polished barrel hood creating greater reliability. Sells for like $3K on gunbroker.

The Tanfoglio "Xtreme" variants are for old game rules in Europe where you can't modify your parts. Here, the "Xtreme" models start at 1,700 dollars, but if you took a Stock Master Defiant and added Patriot Defense parts, you'd be not even to 1,400 dollars. So the Xtreme almost doesn't need to exist in the US market. The Domina is unique with the comp, but again, way too spendy to make sense. A Stock 2 with optic cut is like $400 dollars more than the non optic cut Stock 2--what in the world?

So both companies are over-hyped on differences with no actual accuracy increases per variants. But the base models have lots of fun to own feelings in my experience.

If the CZ S2 SAO returns to normal pricing, I'd say it's the #1 range gun to buy for sure. Owning both the CZ S2 and the Tanfoglio Stock Master, na, I don't see a difference that the other doesn't do better in an other area. CZ parts are cheap, that is for sure.

Bored with plastic and wonder nines ...
Look into the Wonderful World of Revolvers ...
Ever shot a 44 magnum , double action S&W's ...
My model 58 S&W in 41 magnum is fun . They come in many calibers !
Single actions ... Ruger Blackhawk ... 45 Colt , 45 acp , 41 magnum , 44-40 , 10 mm , 38 spcl. /357 magnum , 9mm luger ...
Lots of stuff just waiting for you to try !
Gary

Back