bone breaking bullets for .243 Winchester

We had problems with Hornady SST's. If you hit the shoulder, you were lucky to find the deer. Switched to 100 grn Nosler partitions and haven't looked back.

Shot the frist deer with 100 gr Rem factory ammo, PSP that came with the rifle. Broke the near shoulder, recovered slug under the hide on the off side. DRT.

To me that sounds like the .243 Core Lokt would NOT have broken through a second shoulder had the shot been angled thus. I think .243 performance is VERY bullet dependent.

.30-06? Nah, any bullet 150 grain or over is good to go for deer (other than fmj).

Last edited:
Another SST fan here. Only had one problem and that was a 50yd shot. The bullet was simply still going to fast for the job at close range.
Out past 100yd and ours have performed flawless.

If you need an instadrop right there then aim for the neck. It dont matter what bullet you use and anyone with a decent shooting gun can hit a deer in the neck at 150yds with very little practice, its just that most are to scared to try. Its about the size of a paper plate (on most deer) and contrary to what many believe, you dont have to hit the vertebrae. The concussion will take them out and put them down right now.

My youngest daughter shot a big buck a few years ago right around 300yds. The 243 SST went in and out the neck and the buck was on the ground faster than you can blink.

Just my $.02.

I started a thread awhile back about there being a difference in the thickness of the jackets on the nosler partitions. I don't like them for shooting deer in any caliber except the 25-06. This is because they didnt reliably expand in any caliber but the 25-06. I've never tried them in the 243 but I'd have to believe that is a very good choice. I tried them in 270, 30-06, 300 winmag, and 300 weatherby mag but only in whitetails. They were all pass thru shots and they did there job but I like a Lil bit more energy transfer than they have provided me. I don't shoot for the shoulder and I'm sure that would make them expand better but I'm set in my ways. Im a fan of high velocity and high energy transfer tucked right behind the shoulder. It's never let me down.

Odd you should say you had problems with that brand in .250. I and several other people have had problems with Hornady .250 bullets opening up at closer ranges. Anybody else have a problem with a different brand of .250 bullets?

You know I wish someone would make a true 70 grain hunting bullet in .243/6mm. I'm really getting tired of all the one shot kills I've had to make with the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips on white tails deer and pronghorn with my 6mm-222 Rem Mag. The amazing thing is I've never had the bullet fail to penetrate to the vitals on a game animal at close range, and the longer the range the better it works. At least out to 300 yards as that's as far as I've stretched it to date on a smallish pronghorn buck.

Hornady even recommends the 110 grain V-Max as a hunting bullet in .300 BLK. If not pushed terribly hard a varmint bullet can be perfectly suited to use on game other than varmints. Bullets all have limits push them too hard they blow up, not hard enough and you get poor expansion. It's never a cut and dry issue where bullets are concerned, its all abou knowing the capabilities of the cartridge you want to use.

Gunplummer I apologize for not making my sentences clearer. I said the 25-06 was the only rifle I did not have problems with shooting a partition. I think they are .257 tho not .250

Same bullet, .257 diameter.

Taylor force, I use Hornady VMAX in my .223 for deer when I am in thick, close areas where the shots are going to be up close. They work for me. You nailed it. Different situations, different bullets or calibers. All the years I have been hunting, a 30-30 was the longest track job with a good hit (Both lungs). Any other time I did some tracking with a rifle it was my fault. It was just a bad shot. It is obvious to me there is a need for some deer anatomy lessons on this forum. I have seen a gut shot deer (6MM REM) easily recovered. When the guy opened it up, it was just a mess. The pressure alone destroyed the liver. On the other hand, I have seen gut shot deer running through the woods dragging their intestines along. These deer were shot with slow, heavy bullets. Sounds ugly, but it is what it is. Call it buck fever, or poor shooting, or whatever. A poorly placed shot cannot be repaired by a "Better bullet". I don't believe in the "Bigger gun, more margin for error" nonsense.

The modern bonded bullets are reputed to hold together quite well. But since I've had very good luck with the Nosler Partition, I'm not inclined to switch.

Jack

Wife has used hte .243Win Federal 100gr Ns Partition factory ammo on hog, twice. Both complete pass-through of the bone & vertebrae right behind the ear. No bullet recovery and massive DRT damage. No complaints from us or hog-kind.

Should have her try a shoulder shot sometime through both gristle plates & shoulder bones to see how it does (while I am backing her up). That would be a tough test.

Wife has used hte .243Win Federal 100gr Ns Partition factory ammo on hog, twice. Both complete pass-through of the bone & vertebrae right behind the ear. No bullet recovery and massive DRT damage. No complaints from us or hog-kind.

Should have her try a shoulder shot sometime through both gristle plates & shoulder bones to see how it does (while I am backing her up). That would be a tough test.

Farthest shot was 100 yards but I get head pass thru with $13 a box PPU on everyone Ive shot with them.
The shoulder will be the test for her with those federals.

Back