Bolt action "stiff"

So I grind off some of the screw and it worked a bit better. Just ordered the compound and the billet polish see how much that helps also. Other than that guess will have to deal with it and get use to it. Bummer.

nino
What I was talking about to clean the raceway ( locking lug recess ) Sinclair locking lug cleaning tool and felts , you don't have to buy the kit . The felts fits the raceway and bolt recess , even when you correct the stiffness , it is a good practice to clean out any fouling . The Midway video is too extreme , maybe on a factory action but not on yours . Just go slow using the J B , you can't put material back if you sand too much off . Even if you didn't do anything , eventually it will smooth out on it's own , polish the scratched area . Even a lapping compound is better then sand paper , once smooth clean it out good , add alittle grease on the rear side of the locking lugs , don't size to zero headspace you can gall the locking lugs .

Cw308, thanks for the advice. Not purchasing the tool on the video... just wanted to make sure what they were sanding, that is the area I would need to clean with the compound. Did see a video where it is mentioned on putting grease on the locking lugs. Thanks again.

Some items I don't have such as grease. Any recommendation on this... to be honest haven't done a thorough cleaning on other bolts. If grease is needed, what can I get for that or can I use something possibly from that I may have at home/car? I have seen multiple brands on different videos, just don't know what works best with minimal cost if possible.

I use white lithium grease which you can get pretty much anywhere. I got mine at Walmart next to the WD-40. The lithium grease use sparingly. A little goes a long way. And don’t be concerned when it turns from white to grey. That means it’s doing it’s job.

nino
Any grease is good , that's why I like the Sinclair action cleaning tool and felts . You can watch the videos , it does a nice job on the bolt race way and recesses . It's good to clean everytime you clean your barrel . You can cut a cleaning patch to go over the felt to give a snugger fit . I bought just the tip and felt pads , it attaches to a cleaning rod , l think you can buy it from Brownells or Midway , I have it for years can't remember which company I bought it from . I also use the JB in the barrel , I run a patch first with oil to get most of the fouling out then rub some JB on a patch and run it up and down the entire length of the barrel for as many rounds I fired , for me that's 30 back and forth . Don't use it in the chamber , use a bore guide . Kroil oil and JB is the combination most use . It doesn't harm the barrel . After that use what ever solvent you like , I tried alot . What I like is KG - 1 for carbon and KG - 12 for copper , you most likely don't need the 12 your barrel isn't going to build up copper , carbon yes . I also like the " Old Faithful" Hoppes #9 . Also Ballistol is a good oil , that's what I use first to remove the carbon in my barrel when I finish shooting
( Rock Creek M24 5R match grade barrel ) I do baby my rifle , I clean it every time . Some don't until groups open up . I just can't do that . Hope I Helped .

Chris

Last edited:
nino
Also look into the Parker Hale jag , that's all I use , the patch wraps around the jag , better cleaning surface , like a cleaning mop . Just another thing to add , sorry.

cw308, found the Sinclair action tool. No getting the whole kit... will contact Brownells and hopefully they sell only the end tip. But at $26.99 and comes with handle, tip, 5 felts and cotton rolls, perhaps I might just get that instead of buying separate. Now I saw on their product list and they have the felt and cotton rolls? What is the difference?

Since I have another Savage 12FV, but in .223.... can I "test" the .223 bolt on the 6.5 creed rifle and vice versa? I compared them side by side and both look the same. There are areas where they are different, but very similar. Just curious.

I checked the back screw and it doesn't even protrude at all. Has a good amount before it does. The front does not protrude... a couple of threads. Trying to "pay attention" as I move the bolt back and forth, seems that it is more in the middle section/area of receiver.

Did put grease on the areas and it felt better. Not 100%, but much better.

nino
The felt fits the holder ,there is a screw that goes through the holder into the center hole in the felt . I haven't changed the felt in years , they hold up well , I attach a cleaning patch over the felt to give a snugger fit and also keeps the felt clean .I don't add any solvent I use it to remove any grease and carbon .. A good tool to have . When checking your bolt lift are you holding your trigger back , how does it feel with the trigger held back . You maybe feeling a heavier firing pin spring .

Back