Bolt-action shotguns?

So what? "The thin metal of the receiver" is just as thick as the barrel. I would venture to say the tubing used is tougher than a shotgun barrel. The only thing I ever had against them was most had the crappy box magazine. Now you were fighting both a rimmed feed and an off balance cartridge. Still use my old .410 anyway.

J.C. Higgins never made one gun. They were rebranded from other manufacturers - Mossberg and Stevens for example.
The problem wasn't the receiver tube being weak, but the bolt handle or other retention system. I know there was one Sears model where the bolt tended to shear off that they recalled.

Bolt action shotguns were not stronger than a pump. Every pump I have seen has the bolt lock into the barrel or forward portion of the receiver in some fashion. The bolt shotguns relied on a squared off handle boss that was welded to the bolt to keep the action closed, and the action/ barrel was even two piece.
Bolt action high power rifles for the most part are very different animals.
I was thinking about the Mauser conversions I saw in a gun shop. I stand corrected. Those guns were single shot BTW.

There is no advantage of bolt action then, other than simplicity and low cost.

-TL

I was thinking about the Mauser conversions I saw in a gun shop. I stand corrected. Those guns were single shot BTW.

I own one of the mauser conversion guns. I have owned 3 at different times. All where 2 shot repeaters. The work they did to make these 12 ga from 8x57 is amazing. The forward locking lugs serve no purpose any more the recesses in the receiver has been machined out for the larger shotgun shell. The only locking lug is the 3rd "safety lug". It does not get shot much recoil is pretty stout the gun is very light. It does make a good shotgun for squirrel or rabbit because it can be packed easily being so light. If I can get photo bucket to work I will post a few pics.

Back