Bolt-action shotguns?

Pond James Pond

Never heard of them but read about them in a news article regarding someone who'd had illegal firearms. Are there such things or is this yet more media inaccuracy? After all the same article had also talked about several magazine clips being on the property.

Yessiree; I'd love me some magazine clips right about now!

They've been around for a while. I never understood the appeal. The only versions currently made as far as I know are dedicated big game guns meant to be used with slugs.

How about those converted Mauser shotguns Germany was exporting after the war? Talk about sporterizing, that would make all you military surplus collectors go loony.

My Dad has a 12ga bolt action shotgun in his collection. There's no maker's mark on it and it's god awful to shoot, but it is something I've never seen before. Definitely a discussion piece.

First firearm I ever fired was a .410 bolt gun...not all that practical but a gun doesn't have to be practical to be fun!

Bolt action shotguns were once very common and millions were made in the U.S., mainly by Savage and Mossberg. They never were popular in other countries, except for our close neighbors, Canada and Mexico, and were almost unknown in Europe. They were inexpensive (usually priced even lower than the cheapest break-open guns) and were reasonably rugged and durable. Many shooters and hunters who previously had owned break-open guns became familiar with the bolt acftion in the military in WWI and WWII.

There were several reasons for the demise of the bolt action shotgun. One was the 1968 Federal law which required all guns have serial numbers. That pushed up the bottom line of all guns so most makers dropped their lowest price lines, since they made no money on them. Also the newer generations of shooters and hunters had more money and naturally wanted better quality guns. Another factor was that most of those guns used stamped steel magazines, which often were lost and replacements sometimes cost more than the gun had cost originally.

There are still plenty of BA shotguns in closets and corners across the nation; it is hard to believe, but someday they may be collectibles.

Jim

I still have one in the back of my safe...it was given to me as a kid, as a gift, in late 50's.....it's a Western field, 16ga, full choke bolt action / you open bolt & load 2 shells straight down into the magazine - then drop 1 in chamber & close bolt.

I killed a lot of grouse with that gun when I was a kid. It was used when I got it ....my grandpa found it in a local shop or traded someone something for it.../ and gave it to me when I was about 10 for a birthday I think...

It's still mechanically sound ....it's very light ....and I don't shoot it much / I have several shotguns in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410...../ but I had it out just yesterday for inspection and a quick wipedown..../ it's nostalgic....

"...Are there such things..." Hordes of 'em. Net search Marlin Goose gun. Actually their Model 55. 36" barrel made for reaching out and touching stuff. snicker.
Plus there's the Savage 220.

Actually a boltaction,singleshot, or dbl bbl shotgun might not be a bad option in your collection esp if Hillary gets in power and would be looking at a Australian gun type ban in which semiauto and pump shotguns were turned to scrap metal. I have a moss 500 pump which is a great gun but is on the list of banned Aussi guns. I'm seriously thinking of a bolt action or single shot in case a "can't happen here" scenario plays out. Savage makes a nice bolt action in their 220 and 212 models and CVA has a nice single shot "hunter" model.

v-fib

Imo, any bolt-action shotgun I've ever handled was a poor excuse for a shotgun that handled well or offered any semblance of having a relatively quick second shot. Where they might make good sense is for deer hunting from a blind-where handling and rapid second shots don't count for so much.

1963 - Mossberg 20 Ga. bolt action shotgun, w/Polychoke, 16 yrs. old - tripled on pheasants with it. Doubled on grouse with it once. -- Literally hundreds of birds & rabbits & hare. -- But, heck, - I guess I was young and wrongly informed, - you guys say they're no good for hunting.

In Ohio, they were/are quite popular for deer hunting. If they feed, it is the most accurate slug gun for deer hunting.

Losing popularity now since we can have straightwall cartridges like 45-70.

My brother in law used to hunt deer with a marlin slugmaster. It was pretty accurate but was really heavy. He gave it up when our county allowed rifles, he uses his .270 now.

I have a 1939 Sears and Roebuck 410 bolt. Its a 4 or 5 shell tube mag. I don't remember exactly, it's been a while. I did a little checking at one point and I think Stevens made them for Sears in that year.

The thing is awesome for rabbits with a pattern about the size of a softball. I used to love shooting trap with it too.

Where I live there's some state owned public hunting land that is shotgun only. They recently changed the rules for deer hunting where you could only shoot buckshot, now they allow slugs. My LGS sold several dozen bolt action shotguns since the rule change. I guess it's an excuse for hunters to buy a new gun.

I've got and old Mossy 20ga. bolt back there somewhere. It has some strange screwed on choke apparatus. I've never fired it, but it still sits there.

Back