Bolt action hunting rifle

I found a 1996 model Marlin MR-7 in 30-06 at a good price and really good shape shoots my reloads of Hornady A-Max at sub moa. groups at 100yds hoping to take a buck with it this year. :)

I bought a new Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .308 for $425 and it comes with a sub one MOA guarantee, but shoots groups as tight as 9/16" with ammo it likes. It has great fit and finish, has the same "three rings of steel" as the M700, a three position safety and a two stage trigger that breaks like glass under three pounds. It also has an optional detachable magazine. On the down side, it is pretty heavy so it is not a good gun to carry up and down hills all day and the two stage trigger is not for everyone. You should definitely consider the S2 at your price point. If you really want a bargain, the old Weatherby Vanguards sans the three position safety and two stage trigger are priced in the $300s.

I recommend at least handling several different rifles in your price point at your local gun shop to see what fits. The rifle that fits me perfectly may feel off to you. Better yet, see if you can fire some candidates at your local range (do you have buddies with any of the recommended rifles?). You should also consider buying used, but inspect the rifle carefully.

I do have some buddys who have at least one of them. I need to go and look and feel them. I dont want anything to big or long if you will. I had a weatherby vangaurd before but it was to long and akward to reload so I would like something on the smaller size

I went looking for a decent hunting rifle about a year and a half ago.

I ended up with a used Winchester Model 70 (mine is from 1964).

I know Winchester enthusiasts bad-mouth the post '64 Model 70s - but mine shoots as straight as a laser. No - I can't work the action while holding the rifle upside down ---- but that's the only limitation I've found, so far.

Some of the nice used guns that I found:
- I found a few Savage rifles (pre-accutrigger) for mid-high 300s.
- I found a beautiful used Remington 700 ADL (wood stock) for $400.
- I found a very clean sporterized 1903 for $450.

New discount gun packages that impressed me:
- Remington ADL package from Cabela's
- Thompson venture package (amazing features at more amazing price)

I decided to stay far away from the 770s. You're way better off finding a pre-loved gun for about the same price. Wasn't that impressed with the Savage/Stevens rifle, either - although it's certainly better than a 770.

In .270 - I think I'd look for a used Winchester Model 70. There's really nothing on this planet nicer (of course, that's my own unbiased opinion)

One note - if you want to shoot a lot - stay away from the .270 WSM.
The .270 short cartridge costs a LOT to shoot.

All my Mossberg ATR-100 in .270 does is kill deer. These are two of the dozen or so one-shot kills with mine since I bought it when they first came out. It shoots factory ammo (130 grain Fusions) into 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards, and handloads into about an inch, although, in it's defense, I have not really spent a ton of time working up loads for a rifle I paid 220 bucks for and drag up into trees on a rope.

The important thing to me is that my ATR-100 shoots to POA every time I take it to the range, and it has never missed a deer or needed a second shot.

It isn't as nice as many rifles I own, but I don't mind HUNTING with it. And, where I hunt, that means bad weather and dragging it up into trees behind me.

Don't listen to the naysayers. You can get a good-shoot'n rifle these days for little money. The Marlin XS/XL7, Ruger American, Savage Axis, Stevens....they'll all kill and the animals will never know the difference.

FWIW, I have a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x fixed scope mounted on the ATR with Warne rings.

Edit: I didn't mention the Remington 710/770 for a reason. The ones I have shot sucked. Bad. They are an embarrassment to the Remington name. If I won one or was given one, I wouldn't even shoot it.

Thanks for the info and the photots. I have been looking at gunbroker and it seems I could get a mossberg, ruger or marlin for around 350 but I want to see what my local guy has new or used.

If you are a southpaw and left eye dominant I can not express how important it is for you to get a left handed gun.

Wait, save, find (new or used), the left handed gun that closely fits you. It will make a world of difference. In the event that you need to make a follow up shot we are talking the difference of having a chance at the shot and wild pipe dream.

Do not settle for cheap / inexpensive at the cost of fit. When hunting, confidence in your chose weapon goes a long way in putting meat in the freezer.

Well thats just it I want to see about feeling them before buying something and not being happy with it. I think I could shoot right handed after a little bit of training but I have to see how it feels. If I try a left handed rifle and it comes much more natural to me then its a no brainer but if its no diffrence then the right handed model then i would have to see which feels the best

FWIW, I am hugely left-eye dominant. I shoot right-handed bolt guns just fine lefty.

The deer didn't seem to know the bolt was on the wrong side when I killed 'em

Nope, it's all in mounting the scope.

I actually shot one of those deer right-handed and one lefty. If the shot I'm given requires me to shoot the wrong way for me (right-handed) I do just fine shooting righty with my left eye closed. Well, at least I do at the distances I hunt at in Northern Minnesota, which are usually less than 200 yards, and often less than 100.

I understand being left handed in a right handed world, you just adapt out of necessity. I happen to be right eye dominant, but left handed, and left footed. I hold a rifle/shotgun right handed, but I prefer a handgun in my left, but I can shoot fine with my right, so I have 2 trigger fingers. I consider it a leg up.

Low rings. So that you don't need a raised cheek-piece to get a stock-weld that allows you to shoulder the rifle and be automatically aligned with the scope.

Wicat3 I strongly recommend shooting left handed if you are left eye dominant. I also recommend left hand bolt action rifles. I am right handed, but left eye dominant and learned to shoot long guns left handed about 50 years ago . . . and I'm very glad I did. I can't sign my name left handed, but I shoot long guns and compound bows much better from the left side. And I know several others with the same "problem" and experience.

Im going to see if I can handle a left handed model. I can shoot right handed I have been for a few years know as thats how I trained. I see better out my left eye but can see ok with my right. When I shoot pistols im right handed but left eye. I tried to switch for a few reasons and find it akward. I would like to see if the feel of a left handed rifle feels better and more managable

The problem I have found is a left handed model is very hard to come by. If I buy new and find out I dont like the left handed model then I have to figure out a return or trade and lose my money. But besides that is the fact the companys that have left handed models in my price range is limited. The rugger american I can get at a good deal but I dont see them in left handed. So far the easiest one to find that offers left handed is a savage axis model.

Last edited:
if you have a Dicks sporting goods near you they have SS model 700's on sale for $479. id choose that over a 770 anyday.

I can shoot right handed I have been for a few years know as thats how I trained. I see better out my left eye but can see ok with my right. When I shoot pistols im right handed but left eye.

Sounds as if you are left eye dominant .... check that*. If so, shoot left handed, so as to line up your dominant eye to sight line (scope or sights).

Have you considered a single shot rifle like a Ruger no. 1??

He's looking for a low cost rifle..... MSRP for a Ruger No. 1 is 2-3X what he is wanting to spend.

* One of two methods:

1) Point your finger (arm extended, finger at eye level) at an object across the room, such as a clock on the wall. Without moving your finger close one eye, then the other. If your finger appears to move off the target object when you close an eye, then that is your dominant eye.

2) Get a buddy and stand facing each other across a room (10-15 feet apart).

1.Extend your arms in front of you with your palms facing away.

Bring your hands together, forming a small hole by crossing the thumbs and fore fingers.

3. Bring your hand s up and focus on your buddy's nose through the hole between your hands.

4. Your buddy can see your dominant eye through the hole between your hands.

wow just pointed across the room and closed one eye then the other just to see if it would make a diffrence and it was pretty cool to see. My left eye open stays where I was pointing but my right eye open is far left so I would say im left eye dominat. I figured I was to begin with becuase I trully feel I see longer and better with my left eye and it seems to be more natural

Back