Bolt action hunting rifle

wicat3

Hey guys im thinking of saving some money and getting a bolt action hunting rilfe. Ive been looking around for a good cheap rifle. I was looking at something like a mossberg 4x4 or the ATR rifle. Im thinking a nice 270 win caliber. Any thoughts or reviews on the 4x4 or the ATR? Any other suggestions on a cheap reliable rifle are welcome as well

This gets hashed over a lot on this forum, I personally wouldn't buy a Mossberg ATR/4X4, Savage Axis, or Remington 770. Not when for less than $100 more in most cases you can pick up a better rifle IMO in a Savage 110/Stevens 200, Marlin XL7, Weatherby Vanguard, T/C Venture, or Remington 700 ADL. I just don't trust the Mossberg bolts, as far as I know it there has only been one documented case of the bolt blowing out the rear, but that's enough to make me swear of the rifle.

The .270 is a great all around cartridge for hunting anything in the lower 48.

I was looking around last night at a few online and I do like the stevens 200, marlin x7 and the remington 700 but I was also looking at the savage axis because its price, at least online, dosnt change if its a right handed or a left handed model. I should be shooting left handed because its much more comfortable for a follow up shot if needed but price seems to be a big issue when you start going after a left handed rifle, at least from what I have found

Wicat3,

What price range do you consider cheap? If you're talking less than $500 out the door (without scope) then I have the following observations.

I have the following "cheap" new hunting rifles, Mossberg 4x4, Marlin XL7 & XS7, TC Venture, and the 700 ADL in various calibers. Out of those, IMO the TC Venture is the best of the bunch for quality, accuracy, fit/feel/finish, and price/value. Followed by the Marlins, Remington and last Mossberg.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring any of them on a hunting trip but after 50-100 rounds through each gun (to find best handload) at the range, the TC Venture in .270 is what I really like. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the Remington & Mossberg and put that $ towards the new Vanguard S2 and a nice scope.

Good luck and have fun in your search.

$500.00? Why buy a new bargain rifle at all? There are a ton of higher quality rifles on the used racks that you can get for $500.00 or less.

I'm with Dog on this one. If you are willing to be patient and watch, there are some fantastic buys on used rifles. On another forum, I just saw where someone was selling a nice Sears branded Winchester model 70 30-06 for $300. I bet I've seen 30 similar good buys in the last 6 months and I'm not even looking.

The Mossberg, Savage Axis, Remington 770 and Ruger American are the new generation of disposable rifles. They actually work pretty well, at least for a while. They are not long term values however. For about the extra cost of 2-3 boxes of ammo you can do much better. Being able to pick up a few extra boxes of ammo seems like a good deal right now, but you will quickly shoot up that ammo and realise you could have done better.

The Stevens 200, Weatherby Vanguard, Howa and TC Venture are all good choices. Of those I really like the TC the best.

Used guns are everywhere. A decent Remington 700 or Winchester 70 can often be found for $350 or less.

Browse around and look at different rifles. Feel and fondle and get some notion of what seems to fit you best.

I'd check out pawn shops and offer somewhere around half of their asking price and try to get them to come down a bunch.

It doesnt have to be new. I looked into the TC line and liked a few of theres. I did like the looks and the reviews on the venture but now im seeing a recall on them. Kinda makes me worry about picking up a new one and even more a used one. My budget is around 500 or less. I would love something in the 350 range. I had a bolt action weatherby vanguard in 270 but I had a hard time with the right handed bolt action

500.00? Why buy a new bargain rifle at all? There are a ton of higher quality rifles on the used racks that you can get for $500.00 or less.

This.

The will often have good glass on them, as well.

Check the consignment racks....

My brother picked up a Remmy 721 in .270 WIN, scope, and a reloading set-up, brass, bullets and primers for under $400 at Green Mountain Guns in Denver.

$500.00? Why buy a new bargain rifle at all? There are a ton of higher quality rifles on the used racks that you can get for $500.00 or less.

I say the same also. Most of my purchases are used. Not just because they are cheaper, I also usually like older stuff better anyway.

I was looking around last night at a few online and I do like the stevens 200, marlin x7 and the remington 700 but I was also looking at the savage axis because its price, at least online, dosnt change if its a right handed or a left handed model. I should be shooting left handed because its much more comfortable for a follow up shot if needed but price seems to be a big issue when you start going after a left handed rifle, at least from what I have found

Since you are a lefty you would be better off saving your money for a Savage 110, Remington 700 or a Ruger than buying the Axis. Being a southpaw does severely limit your options. Some good bolt action alternatives for you would be a pump action or single shot rifle. Remington Morley 760 rifles can be had pretty cheap on the used market. NEF/H&R handi rifles usually shoot pretty well and can be bought for around $300 new.

270 is a fine caliber, but what are you hunting and at what ranges?

30-06 is far more versicle, but only if you need versatile.

Im hunting Deer. I have a remington sportsman 74 in 30-06 just would like a bolt action. I hunt CT and NY so range is pretty close compared to some other places

From what ive seen and heard alot have looked at it and some might have held it but no I havnt found anyone who has shot it. Most of my reason for staying clear from it.

Back